1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Big Mystery

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Rbohno, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Jun 30, 2020 at 4:28 PM
    Rbohno

Rbohno [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra CrewMax Limited
    Icon stage 5,method 18 x 9, BFG KO2s, Bushwacker flares, tinted windows,Havoc HST running boards,Weatherguard slimline box, DSR1, JL Audio 900/5 amp, two 10W0 subs in a box, hertz centro in the front and Hertz Uno in back doors
    Hey Guys,

I have JBL system

I have changed entire system except for dash speakers( see my signature) from JRT.

How do I change dash speakers so they play a fuller sound stage all the while allowing center dash speaker to play phone and navigation. I don’t mind changing all dash speakers but want something other than ear piercing treble.

There are 4 wires going to each corner dash speaker how are you guys wiring this??? I called I-Data Link and they were not helpful at all.

2. Jun 30, 2020 at 5:40 PM
    Black@Blue19

Black@Blue19 Old Salt

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5 TSS Onroad, 24 Camaro 2SS 6.2 L
    To much to list:)
    Tech 12 volts has replacement speakers for them and so does a couple more but can’t remember who???? DUH!!!:). All plug and play

3. Jun 30, 2020 at 7:01 PM
    Rbohno

Rbohno [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Icon stage 5,method 18 x 9, BFG KO2s, Bushwacker flares, tinted windows,Havoc HST running boards,Weatherguard slimline box, DSR1, JL Audio 900/5 amp, two 10W0 subs in a box, hertz centro in the front and Hertz Uno in back doors

I know but poor @JRT is having a rough time and am trying to help educate myself and others without stressing James. He is such an asset to this forum and others that he is spread waaay too thin. He responds every time I have called or Emailed and cares for each and everyone of his customers. So my thought is to try and ask questions about my specific situation that we can help each other out.

AGAIN HATS OFF TO @JRT , he sent me an earth shaking system that I LOVE but am trying to figure out some quirks.

ROCK ON JRT, GET SOME REST

Sincerely

Rich

4. Jul 1, 2020 at 5:20 AM
    Kojack

Kojack New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MIke
    Black Mountain, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra XSP CrewMax
    Take the connector from the speaker and take pin 1 or 3 and then 2 or 4 and tap into them. One combo is positive and the other negative.
    The Tundra factory wires are run in parallel so if you unplug them completely and are using the factory wiring, the door speakers will not get any sound. It all runs through the dash speaker plug. I had to figure this out and it drove me nuts until I did.
    Let me know if I can help further
    Mike

Rbohno[OP] likes this.
  5. Jul 1, 2020 at 10:43 AM
    Rbohno

Rbohno [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks @Kojack

My other question is when I hook the front FACTORY tweets to the amp using the wires from the maestro the sound stage is much fuller but waaay too bright.

If I switch them out with say a 2.75” mid-range such https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20647KSC27/Kicker-47KSC2704.html

WILL that change that sound like a true mid or will it still be bright like a tweeter?

Yes one more question there is a pair of wires from the maestro for the center channel. The instructions say to hook the dash corners to the front channel on the amp. So how would I power the center channel?

6. Jul 1, 2020 at 11:31 AM
    Kojack

Kojack New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MIke
    Black Mountain, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra XSP CrewMax
    Then I would say that a 2.75 would fit the bill and not be as bright as what is there now. It's worth a shot. I tried Kenwood 3.5" and they were too deep so make sure you get the most shallow ones you can find. The vent ducts run right under them and there is not a lot of room. I have seen here where some guys would heat up the duct and massage them but air flow, to me, is as important as sound.
    The center dash speaker gets is power from the HU so I wouldn't hook it up to the amp. The center speaker is also as dual voice coil so if you replace it, consider that man. I didn't bother getting a dual. I just hooked into the right side speaker. It's mainly there (IMHO) for speaker phone anyway.
    Just my opinion man... With the amp, you should get the majority of the sound from the doors and tweets (if you have components)
    Hope I helped some.
    Mike

Rbohno[OP] likes this.
  7. Jul 11, 2020 at 7:43 AM
    Rbohno

Rbohno [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Hey Mike

I am golden on everything you said with one more question regarding center dash channel. It’s currently not getting any due to Maestro etc...
    If I were to buy that center channel from James so the phone could play through there “How would it get power to do that “

8. Jul 11, 2020 at 2:29 PM
    Kojack

Kojack New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MIke
    Black Mountain, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra XSP CrewMax
    That’s an interesting question man. The center and Front side dash speakers get their power from the HU unless you’re running them through an amp and have run wiring up to them.
    I have the maestro and my center channel works like it should. I don’t know if there is a difference in JBL vs Non JBL though and i have a non JBL truck.
    Maybe someone else can chime in as I can’t say I can answer your question for sure.

9. Jul 11, 2020 at 4:33 PM
    Rbohno

Rbohno [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Non jbl dash speakers come through head unit.
    JBL all the speakers dash, doors etc run thru amp

10. Jul 13, 2020 at 5:15 AM
    Kojack

Kojack New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MIke
    Black Mountain, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra XSP CrewMax
    If you want to just use the center dash for the speaker phone and have a little sound coming through, I would remove the center dual vc speaker and cut the wires on the connector plug as close to the speaker as possible and just use either the left or right channel to get the sound.
    If you buy from @james@tech12volts , I'm sure he has a plug and play harness since what he sells has 2 speakers in it. On his site, it does show those are out of stock so you may want to email him for confirmation.

Products Discussed in

To Top