1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Arctic Rock

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Builds (2014-2021)' started by Wikid, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Jan 4, 2018 at 8:21 AM
    Wikid

Wikid [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tundra Crewmax Platinum
    On order
    Clean sound is a must !!
    The sound upgrade has begun

During all the other projects I have in the works, there have been many pieces put together for the stereo upgrade. Keeping the stock head unit was the goal up front. Here is a condensed list of the equipment that will be included

JL Audio HD 900/5 amp, driving the front components and sub

JL audio XD 400/4 amp, driving the rear components

JL Audio Fix 86

JL Audio TwK 88

Hertz Mille, 3 component for the front

Hertz Mille, 2 component for the back

Jl Audio 13TW5v2, sub

Second Skin Audio Damplifier Pro Sound deadening, on the inner and outer panels of the doors and back wall.
    http://store.secondskinaudio.com/

I took more of a minor roll on the installation . Stereo systems have become so complex, so I wanted it installed correctly and tuned. On recommendation from James, from http://kartunesaz.com/, who is doing the install, designed the entire system, with some of the equipment I already had and he will be supplying the rest. It will take them 2 full days, to get everything in and tuned.

I will update as it goes

IMG_0447 2.jpg IMG_0568.jpg IMG_0566.jpg IMG_0569.jpg IMG_0581.jpg IMG_0582.jpg IMG_0583.jpg soundsystem1.jpg soundsystem2.jpg soundsystem3.jpg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    1UPPER, drhntr, CringyDad and 5 others like this.
  2. Jan 4, 2018 at 8:29 AM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    Why are you going to run a 5ch AND a 4-ch?

3. Jan 4, 2018 at 8:38 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    This is going to sound nice!!

Wikid[OP] likes this.
  4. Jan 4, 2018 at 8:38 AM
    Wikid

Wikid [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    On order
    The 4 channel will just work the rear components. The separation of where the 3 components are would not provide the balanced sound, so the fronts will work off the 4 channels of the 900/5 So every speaker will get a a separate channel to tune. My stereo guy can explain it better.. That's why he's doing the install. His systems are always killer sounding

dcsleeper408 and Black Wolf like this.
  5. Jan 4, 2018 at 8:43 AM
    dcsleeper408

dcsleeper408 BASTRDS

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO
    how about head unit?

6. Jan 4, 2018 at 8:46 AM
    Wikid

Wikid [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    On order
    I kept the stock nav head unit and added the Fix86 and Twk 88 to correct the delays and clean up the signal . At some point, I may change to a Kenwood unit, then I could loose the fix 86 and keep the Twk 88

dcsleeper408[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jan 4, 2018 at 8:53 AM
    Air2Ground

Air2Ground This summa bitch is gonna scream!

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Herndon, Va
    Vehicle:
    Building this brick by brick.
    K&N CAI Series 77 Banks Monster Exhaust Stage 2 Icon suspension SPC UCA's Coachbuilder Shackles +2's and poly bushings Coach Builder Front Bump Stops Steel Braided Break Lines by ToyTec Icon 6 speed 17" Wheel 315/70/17 BFG Goodrich KO 2's Tekonsha Trailer Brake AirRaid Throttle Spacer Slotted/Drilled Rotors by StopTech w/ stock pads Pioneer AVIC 8100 Receiver/Focal Component Speakers (4) JL Stealthbox JL Audio HD series amps 500/4 and 750/1. Complete Dynamat of cab Python Alarm/Remote start Linex sprayed front billet grille with "T" logo Linex sprayed bed Retrax Bed Cover 6" powder coated step bar High End 3M 5% tint PIAA Fog Lamps DIY Superman trailer hitch "S" WeatherTech Mats TRD Shift Knob Upcoming Mods: debagging Future mods: Front/Rear bumper winch supercharger and rebuild (blueprint) engine new lights in and out headlight/taillight combo Skid plates Cat Back Exhaust and Long Tube Headers.....? (Still deciding most optimal way) I NEED A SOLID TUNE!!!! Etc....
    Personal preference here, but I would def go Pioneer for HU. Way more configuration and the choice of most pros. I have had all of them in my '07 from Sony to Kenwood and now my favorite, the Pioneer Avic 8100. LOVE!!! My next addition for the stereo is a Mosconi processor.

Beautiful truck you got...! Love the bumpers

DalTee and Wikid[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  8. Jan 4, 2018 at 8:58 AM
    Wikid

Wikid [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    On order
    I haven't shopped head units in a few years. I will definitely check out the Pioneer. I know why I chose the kenwood for my last change. it was because the Nav unit was Garmin. With the why the new head units interface, with phone navigation now,. the Garmin may not be as important . Thanks for the tip and the props :)

9. Jan 4, 2018 at 9:03 AM
    Air2Ground

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Herndon, Va
    Vehicle:
    K&N CAI Series 77 Banks Monster Exhaust Stage 2 Icon suspension SPC UCA's Coachbuilder Shackles +2's and poly bushings Coach Builder Front Bump Stops Steel Braided Break Lines by ToyTec Icon 6 speed 17" Wheel 315/70/17 BFG Goodrich KO 2's Tekonsha Trailer Brake AirRaid Throttle Spacer Slotted/Drilled Rotors by StopTech w/ stock pads Pioneer AVIC 8100 Receiver/Focal Component Speakers (4) JL Stealthbox JL Audio HD series amps 500/4 and 750/1. Complete Dynamat of cab Python Alarm/Remote start Linex sprayed front billet grille with "T" logo Linex sprayed bed Retrax Bed Cover 6" powder coated step bar High End 3M 5% tint PIAA Fog Lamps DIY Superman trailer hitch "S" WeatherTech Mats TRD Shift Knob Upcoming Mods: debagging Future mods: Front/Rear bumper winch supercharger and rebuild (blueprint) engine new lights in and out headlight/taillight combo Skid plates Cat Back Exhaust and Long Tube Headers.....? (Still deciding most optimal way) I NEED A SOLID TUNE!!!! Etc....
    Honestly, that was one of my main reasons for purchasing the Kenwood too. Plus the fact that the idiotic shopped I purchased it from pushed KW's. I call them idiotic, because their installs were atrocious! Me and a buddy basically went behind them and cleaned it all up ie. wiring etc. I am working with the owner now to help fix the problem and Lizard Skin my floor. My doors are already complete...That in itself makes a HUGE difference....

Wikid[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  10. Jan 4, 2018 at 9:07 AM
    Wikid

Wikid [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    On order
    Sound deadening is the very best thing you can do for cabin quiet and better sound. it even makes a crappy stock system sound better :) One thing I did was pulled the metal panel off the back wall and threw sound sound deadening back there to. It was tight , where the window mechanism was, but I pressed it well , so it should be fine

11. Jan 4, 2018 at 9:09 AM
    dcsleeper408

dcsleeper408 BASTRDS

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO
    does it help cut out some wind noise?

12. Jan 4, 2018 at 9:12 AM
    Air2Ground

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Herndon, Va
    Vehicle:
    How was getting to that back window? Any pics? Once the weather warms a bit, I may just do that myself. I only wrapped the doors. I could see how that would be great, especially since my sub sits right against that and rattles it...

13. Jan 4, 2018 at 9:13 AM
    Wikid

Wikid [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    On order
    yes it does. Funny thing is, unless you do the entire cabin, you will chase noise. I think you become more sensitive to it, with all the work that it is, but noise comes mainly from vibrating metal panels. If you were to meter it, I bet it would definitely show improvement

14. Jan 4, 2018 at 9:13 AM
    Air2Ground

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Herndon, Va
    Vehicle:
    I think you would be please what it can do for your cabin. try window deflectors too. that would prob help even more with actual wind noise. It all helps though.. Window deflectors will help with wind big time though especially when open

15. Jan 4, 2018 at 9:17 AM
    Wikid

Wikid [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    On order
    You know, I didnt take any pics. I was under the gun and it was one of the last things I had to complete before dropping it off, but its not hard to get to. Pull seats, pull back stock sound wall its just panel puller plastic tabs, Then you can either just do the entire exposed wall or you can pull the panel , which is just 10 mm bolts and it comes off, then you can put some on the outer wall,, then put the panel on and do the inner wall Pretty easy actually

16. Jan 4, 2018 at 9:20 AM
    Wikid

Wikid [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    On order
    What else helps with wind noise is to open the back window an inch or so. it takes away the waffling you get with the side windows open. Try it, you will see a huge difference :) it even helps when you have the sun roof open. The noise lessens a lot with the back window open

dcsleeper408 likes this.
  17. Jan 4, 2018 at 9:23 AM
    Air2Ground

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Herndon, Va
    Vehicle:
    I haven't ever really looked at it. Crazy! I didn't think it would be too hard, but again, I always tried tackling the hard stuff and never gave it too much thought. lol... weird how that goes... Can't wait to do that.

dcsleeper408 likes this.
  18. Jan 4, 2018 at 9:23 AM
    dcsleeper408

dcsleeper408 BASTRDS

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO
    Don,
    now I don't know if it was you with Artica that did the whole floor, but I remember talking to someone that did it.
    Anyways would this be overkill? as far as cutting sound, and adding a few lbs to our very light trucks with economical mpgs..

Wikid[OP] likes this.
  19. Jan 4, 2018 at 11:19 AM
    Wikid

Wikid [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    On order
    I did do the entire tub. It’s hard to say how much more it helped, but it did seems solid. It takes lots of time and effort to gut the cabin for this project. I’m not sure its worth it, unless you have another reason to gut the cabin and then you could add it. There is an expense involved too. I bet I had over $1000.00 into that project in just material. Doing the entire cabin, could add a bit of weight too. My suggestion is to do the doors, inside and outer panels pretty good and do the back wall, even if its just the inner back wall. That will give you a substantial difference. You can do the “knock test” on each panel as you are doing them, to see how the progress is coming on the results.

dcsleeper408[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Jan 4, 2018 at 11:36 AM
    dcsleeper408

dcsleeper408 BASTRDS

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO
    Yeah very pricey for material, period. Even the bootleg stuff on Amazon is pricey.. I'll start off with the doors first.. I've seen people go as far as doing firewall.

21. Jan 4, 2018 at 6:06 PM
    Wikid

Wikid [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    On order
    A few more update pics
    It's almost down to wiring up the amps and contro; stuff. I decided to add a remote start/alarm while they were in there. IMG_0591 2.jpg IMG_0592.jpg IMG_0599 2.jpg IMG_0603.jpg IMG_0600 2.jpg

TheBeast and dcsleeper408 like this.
  22. Jan 4, 2018 at 6:51 PM
    Wikid

Wikid [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    On order
    One more that James just sent me

soundsystem4.jpg

Black Wolf and dcsleeper408 like this.
  23. Jan 4, 2018 at 6:53 PM
    Bailey

Bailey Enjoy Every Sandwich

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB Limited 4x4 “Clifford”
    Where are the pics of this thing in the dirt? ;):boink:

Truck is looking good! Can't wait to see what is next, Don.:D

Wikid[OP] and dcsleeper408 like this.
  24. Jan 4, 2018 at 6:57 PM
    big_jarv

big_jarv New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    Any pictures of the sunroof?

Wikid[OP] likes this.
  25. Jan 4, 2018 at 7:01 PM
    Wikid

Wikid [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    On order
    I tried to upload the video, but it wouldn't allow it. There was a little gas pedal involved :thumbsup:IMG_5127.jpg

26. Jan 4, 2018 at 7:04 PM
    Wikid

Wikid [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    On order
  27. Jan 4, 2018 at 7:28 PM
    big_jarv

big_jarv New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    Looks clean like the rest of the truck!
    :popcorn:
    In for future progress.

dcsleeper408 likes this.
  28. Jan 4, 2018 at 7:59 PM
    alpinepro4

alpinepro4 What is your MPG Today!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Cement DC
    Baja Designs Squadron Sport Fog lights, ARE CX Series Topper, Alcan Springs , DAP Tune, Coach Builder +1 Shackles, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 LED bulbs, HR LED interior bulbs. General Grabber ATX 275/70/R18
    Don, you built one hell of a badass truck there. Sound proofing the cab is a great idea. I bet it makes for a nice quiet cab. Thought about getting rock sliders but going with Amp Research steps. Killer truck can't wait to see more pics.

dcsleeper408 and Wikid[OP] like this.
  29. Jan 5, 2018 at 6:59 PM
    Wikid

Wikid [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    On order
    Thanks. It is substantially more quiet than it was, until I hit the volume knob :)

dcsleeper408 likes this.
  30. Jan 5, 2018 at 7:01 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Pretty Wikid...

Products Discussed in

To Top