1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

the age old "what size tire" for my 05 tundra

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by timesinfinity, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Jan 14, 2019 at 6:04 PM
    timesinfinity

timesinfinity [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    drew
    northeast
    Hello!

I have an 05 AC tundra that I recently put Bilstein 5100’s on front and back at the middle setting. They weirdly gave me an inch on the back (?) and just under two or so on the front. The ride is amazing now, super alive and tight, great on the highway and plush off-road over bumps. Makes me wanna drive fast when I get off the pavement. Absolutely love it.

I currently have fairly new 265/75//16 (31.65’’) Cooper Discoverer at3’s on factory alloys my dad put on before he passed and I took over the truck.

I am debating going larger on the tires now that I have the lift. I like the look of the 33s on a lot of these rigs but I’m curious what it will do to the ride as a daily driver.

I live in a city in the northeast and spend about 20% of my time driving on a beach aired down to 20psi, a little bit on hard dirt and a fair amount in snowy conditions. Other than that I’m on pavement.

I REALLY like the way she drives right now and so far the off road functionality and height is great. But I thought it might be fun to have a larger, more aggressive looking tire.

I looked at the 255 options a bit but I wonder if the few tires available in that range would be too off road centric / heavy and kill the nice ride I currently have.

So, I wanted to hear your thoughts. Is it worth the extra inch or so I’d gain? Would this dramatically alter the ride and handling characteristics on the road? Should I just leave it? Or maybe just get a more aggressive “looking” tire in the same size I currently have like a KO2.

Apologies, I know a TON of this was covered in a billion or so threads, most of which I’ve read. Just figured I’d ask! Thanks either way.

2. Jan 14, 2019 at 6:19 PM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    I would stay with 265/75

255/85 is taller but slim and it is, to your point, limiting your options.

285/75 may rub on your upper arm, or it may not. It will be a bit wider, taller and heavier. You will lose a bit on mpg. Your truck will slow down a bit on acceleration. It will look good though.

timesinfinity[OP] likes this.
  3. Jan 15, 2019 at 11:49 AM
    timesinfinity

Member:
    First Name:
    drew
    northeast
    great feedback thank you!

alot of people are saying the st/maxx tires that are available in the 255 size are really heavy and ride a bit tough. but also alot of people seem to love them...

i think maybe stick with what i have or i'd maybe consider the 285s on some different rims and add some control arms. i'm curious if that size tire will dramatically change the ride though? would love to hear thoughts on that.

unrelated to size but i drove my brothers 2nd gen and really loved his KO2s in the snow. unreal traction at decent speed in like 18'' of fresh snow.

4. Jan 15, 2019 at 11:50 AM
    timesinfinity

Member:
    First Name:
    drew
    northeast
    i realize there have been a billion threads on all these subjects, which i've mostly read, but it's hard to make sense of it all!

Products Discussed in

To Top