1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Test drove a 1794 and a Titan the other day...

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by 1sand0s, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Dec 21, 2018 at 5:34 PM
    CamoNorange

CamoNorange New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black DCSB, SR5, 4x4, 5.7
    Yes please.
    I'd kill for a system that didn't freeze and restart every time I made a call or had one came through. That shit is so old. Toyota's response? We don't support iPhones past the 6s. I mean come on. I have speakers from before the iPhone 5 that work with my phone without restarting. The fact that my phone is to new is a shit excuse. It's an X, not the newest phone. Figure out out.

While I'm complaining, I'm suck of the shit reliability on mine. I've needed an alternator, transmission (second one, previous owner had a new trans at 25k) 4x4 transfer case actuator, rear main seal, oil pan gasket, dipstick o ring, and now I'm pretty sure I have the cam tower leak. All this and I haven't got 75k.. I complained to Toyota and they offered 2.5k toward a new or CPO. Vehicle. Take this lemon back! 2.5k? Ive had this less than a year. It's a piece of crap!
    Now I've had a 96 Camry, '10 Rav 4, 09 Tacoma, 12 tundra and now this '14 tundra. I loved them all except this shit box.

Not knocking Toyota as a whole, but this truck sucks and I don't feel like Toyota had been much help. All of wanted was an extended warranty and they refused this.

I may buy another but will definitely explore all options next time. Toyota is no longer infallible in my eyes.

jtwags likes this.
  2. Dec 21, 2018 at 5:43 PM
    FXFormat

FXFormat New Member

Member:

That sucks bro, sounds like you got a friday afternoon build before a holiday and the employees just wanted to GTFO. Were you aware of the first trans that had to be replaced? I wouldn't buy a vehicle with a new engine or trans, they always fail again or have other underlying issues. My 2008 has 180K on it now, not a single leak of any fluid, only the water pump which i replaced and is good now.

Don't let this discourage you from owning another Toyota, you just got unlucky with this one.

CamoNorange[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Dec 21, 2018 at 5:51 PM
    HUTCHJ

HUTCHJ I can ride my bike with no handlebars

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    I mean, it's prettt basic. I'm not an Apple user so I don't use car play but Android auto is pretty slick nowadays. I thought we were over this tho and just hanging out drinking beer now?

4. Dec 21, 2018 at 5:51 PM
    HUTCHJ

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Lol. Wowzers

5. Dec 21, 2018 at 5:53 PM
    CamoNorange

CamoNorange New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    Yes please.
    Unfortunately, the selling dealer did not know it or just did not disclose it when I asked if there had been any problems with it. I only found out when my servicing dealer asked if I was aware that it had had another transmission replaced.

I certainly get that it's normal to have occasional issues with a vehicle, I'm just frustrated with how Toyota handled it. I just wanted assurance that it would be covered for a bit longer with an extended warranty after all these multiple issues. All Toyota's CS and executive office would offer is $2500 toward a replacement vehicle out of my budget. They also offered to warranty the current transmission replacement for a whole year.

Here's to hoping it lasts now. We'll see.
    I can't help but thinking a Dodge might be better. Sure it's probably about as reliable as my current truck but at least I could have a life time bumper to bumper warranty and I wouldn't have to worry about paying for surprise huge bills.

6. Dec 21, 2018 at 5:53 PM
    HUTCHJ

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Yikes dude. That suuuuuucks .

7. Dec 21, 2018 at 6:02 PM
    1sand0s

1sand0s [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    2020 White TRD Pro
    Center Console Safe
    I’m pretty young and i have actually developed an app for Android auto. I like having a infotainment system. The biggest part about Apple CarPlay that I like is that the GPS is unbeatable. Always up to date, smooth, and Waze is pretty nice for long hauls too.

Don’t knock Apple CarPlay till you try it

rebmo likes this.
  8. Dec 21, 2018 at 7:34 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    I've owned 2 Nissan's. I once heard someone say Nissan is the Chrysler of Japan.

They were not wrong.

9. Dec 21, 2018 at 7:36 PM
    1sand0s

1sand0s [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    2020 White TRD Pro
    Center Console Safe
    Believe it or not, we have 4 Nissans and they’re all really nice. No problems so far, even on the 04 Titan with 120k miles. Only thing wrong on that was the AC and wheel bearings

10. Dec 21, 2018 at 7:48 PM
    FXFormat

FXFormat New Member

Member:
    In my order of worst Jap brand to best. Mazda/Ford, Suzuki, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru, Honda, Toyota

Of all my years working on cars though, I have to say that the Jeep Liberty is the biggest piece of shit ever built. I've had many come in with problems that if they wanted to fix, it'd cost twice the value of the vehicle (which is like a sac of peanuts because the car is so bad with resale value). We've had to call the tow truck for so many people to donate it. I think if you YouTube worst car to buy, the Liberty is on the top of the list.

equin likes this.
  11. Dec 21, 2018 at 8:31 PM
    Boosted4runner

Boosted4runner Join the NRA please.

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC MGM TRD Tundra, Kings, 5.7, 2018 front end
    Resi Kings, 35” Trail Grapplers on 18” Methods, ICON Delta Upper Arms, Front-Runner bed rack, Yakima SkyBox16, 2018 honeycomb grill, 2018 LED headlights, plastidipped bumper covers
    My wife came through somewhat!
    Not a fan of Sierra Nevada but the hazy isn’t bad.

C7576CA8-67B3-4138-9744-EB228CE9CCAB.jpg
    D9D33EA9-C408-4317-9A64-EDDDA835A911.jpg

12. Dec 21, 2018 at 8:34 PM
    Boosted4runner

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    Resi Kings, 35” Trail Grapplers on 18” Methods, ICON Delta Upper Arms, Front-Runner bed rack, Yakima SkyBox16, 2018 honeycomb grill, 2018 LED headlights, plastidipped bumper covers
    I’ve replaced Nissan with Toyota.
    I replaced Infiniti with Lexus thank God and as soon as my wife’s Pathfinder shits the bed Sequoia/4Runner/Landcruiser.

The 4.0’s design with the Trans cooler is absolutely a ticking time bomb.

13. Dec 21, 2018 at 8:54 PM
    Boosted4runner

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    What’s your Vin#?

14. Dec 21, 2018 at 9:07 PM
    Warreng

Warreng New Member

Member:
    Believe I had that hazy ipa here on tap in Alberta of all places. Was alright for sure.

15. Dec 21, 2018 at 9:42 PM
    Atomic City Tundra

Atomic City Tundra Cam Tower Leak Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra 5.7FFV CM 4X4
    I have had 3 Hondas and 1 Nissan. The Hondas were 1 Civic and 2 accords. All were awesome and lasted into the high 100,000s before I sold them with minimal problems. My daughter has a 2001 Xterra with about 170,000 miles on it. Been a great vehicle and is really good off road. Wouldn't hesitate getting another Xterra or Accord. My Tundra has given me more issues than any of them.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    Black Wolf likes this.
  16. Dec 21, 2018 at 10:44 PM
    Boosted4runner

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    Apples to oranges.
    Can’t compare compact sedans to a 4WD full size drive terrain.
    We had a flawless civic for many years, but also a flawless Celica.
    The service schedule is completely different between Front/Rear diffs, Tcases, Alt’s and Starters cranking 5.7 Vs a 1.8, list goes on.
    I guess I’m partial to Toy because the only vehicles that have left me stranded are Nissan, Ford, Dodge, and GMC. And I’ve put litteraly 3-4 X the amount of miles on Toyota. And beat the ever loving shit out of them. Dropped clutches, roasted tires (Lexus), straight up abused them. I’ve always felt I’ve needed to “baby” everything else.

ETA - and we put 200K on the Xterra/Pathfinder platform.
    If you didn’t have any issues, thank your lucky stars.

17. Dec 22, 2018 at 3:59 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Agreed but I had less problems with my 8 track.....

18. Dec 22, 2018 at 4:03 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    How did we manage to survive driving trucks this long without all these new fangled high tech widgetries Atomic!

19. Dec 22, 2018 at 4:07 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    A coworker has a 07 Xterra and really likes it. I've had a ride in it. Seems to be fairly solid.

20. Dec 22, 2018 at 5:50 AM
    knoxville36

knoxville36 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation w/3.0 Duramax
    Man I can certainly vouch for this! We bought a brand new 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD and it was loaded with every option. This has been the only car we have just taken the hit and gotten rid of.

Very cheaply made for sure..... the CVT was worrisome and not smooth at 36k miles.

The door lines never lined up and both the passenger and driver side sagged from day 1. Dealer would attempt to fix and it would just crest another misalignment elsewhere.

Rattled in both the driver side window and passenger rear from day 1. No matter how much you turn up the radio you had rattling in your ears from the window.

Plastic laminate I will call it was coming off from the ac/radio controls.

The car was surprisingly loud. You could hear the engine and CVT while driving.

With all that being said, we decided to bite the bullet and dump it with 39k miles. Best we could get for trade in was $17k and we paid $35k for it I believe. That tells you everything you need to know. I did research and told my wife to stay away but she was hell bent on getting that Rogue! She learned a lesson and leaves it up to me now for vehicles.

We traded the Rogue in for a new 2017 4Runner Limited last year. Best thing we have done and wife agrees. What a night and day difference in fit, finish, reliability and something we will own forever!

My father in law had a very similar experience with a Titan he bought new 9 years ago. It was absolute junk.

Nissan has really fallen in the quality and reliability categories for sure!

FXFormat[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Dec 22, 2018 at 7:22 AM
    Atomic City Tundra

Atomic City Tundra Cam Tower Leak Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra 5.7FFV CM 4X4

I usually agree with you on most things. But not this. The Engineers who design these things know that the platforms are going to serve different purposes, and they should know that one of them (the full size 4X4) will have more severe operating conditions and will therefore need to be designed to operate in such conditions. A good auto company should be able to make vehicles that provide a good, long service life regardless of the platform. So, I think that I can compare them. Can I compare the operating conditions? No - you are correct. That is apples to oranges. However, I can look at the track record for each vehicle, while it was being used in the environment it was designed for, and make a general statement about the capability and quality of the Engineering at the company.

22. Dec 22, 2018 at 9:36 AM
    WrigglingWilly

WrigglingWilly Well used Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra 4x4 5.7 8.1bed
    LineX
    This is why you do not buy used. It is a gamble, even when buying the foremost product in reliability, in the half ton pick up segment. Somebody beat that thing, or it was stolen, or something. I bet it looked great on the lot! Sorry for your bad luck, but you really have no idea what that truck went through before you bought it (neither did Toyota, hence the weak warranties on pre-owned), and no reasonable pre-sale inspection is going to disassemble the tranny to look for premature wear(so not your fault, either). An aftermarket warranty may save your wallet, have you looked into it?

23. Dec 22, 2018 at 10:20 AM
    Ronin73

Ronin73 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Crewmax SR5 4x4 5.7 Magnetic Grey Metallic
    I don't understand why Apple CarPlay is so sought after. I am an admitted Apple Fanboy and I don't even see the big deal. Do people really rely that much on it? I can use the maps feature from my phone just fine...texts come through Bluetooth and so does my music. So, what does CarPlay really provide that is so great? Am I missing something?

Black Wolf and Boosted4runner like this.
  24. Dec 22, 2018 at 10:30 AM
    Boosted4runner

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    We can agree to disagree. :D4x4 is just more moving parts, no matter which way you look at it - that was my point. There are many more serviceable parts. And those serviceable parts are put under much more stress than a standard economy car. Hell - my Lexus requires 10K oil changes and plugs/diff/trans/coolant liquids aren’t touched until 100K miles. To me that’s just absurd.
    Our diesel trucks at work run a million miles - and that’s the way Cummins designed them, but that doesn’t mean that we aren’t servicing them frequently due to all of the moving parts beyond a normal economy car.
    Mo parts - Mo problems!

25. Dec 22, 2018 at 10:35 AM
    Boosted4runner

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    I have no idea what it even is.
    My phone connects to my radio when I hop in the truck and plays the music I want, and can be controlled by steering wheel or radio. Can’t ask for much more than that if you ask me lol.
    My Lexus has some big gigantic 12” screen with 3 different maps and all this crazy shit I don’t need. I haven’t even figured out how to operate the fucking thing. There is a volume knob on the dash and button on the wheel, and that’s all I really care about I guess.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    Ronin73[QUOTED] and Black Wolf like this.
  26. Dec 22, 2018 at 10:41 AM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    A persons vision must be bad to consider buying that Titan. Ugly MOFO in my opinion.

27. Dec 22, 2018 at 1:20 PM
    gdiep

gdiep I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    AppleCarplay essentially mirrors your iPhone on the infotainment screen. So your screen functions like your iPhone. It is superb. And very user friendly. My friend has this in his car and I can use it instinctively whenever I drive his car. It is actually less distracting than entune because it is very user friendly and familiar if you are an iPhone user. I don’t have an Android phone so I cannot speak to that application. And as someone had mentioned before, the maps are great.

Only 3 things I wish my Tundra had: (1) more payload capacity, (2) powerfolding mirrors - actually just an easier way to mod this, (3) AppleCarplay.

Only 1 thing I wish my Tundra didn’t have - camtower seal leak.

Toyota’s and Lexus have best overall reliability. But Tundra needs some investment from Toyota for their redesign. Just don’t sacrifice reliability chasing fuel economy. I’d be happy if they used the same 5.7 (fix the camtower seal issue first) and paired it with an 8 or 9 speed transmission. Done, don’t eff it up with stop/start or cylinder deactivation.

I also have a 2017 Nissan Armada Platinum. I don’t think it is as reliable as a Sequoia (although I have not had any issues so far -knock on wood). I chose it over the Sequoia because it has more features, drove better, and was significantly less expensive. It’s all a trade off between what you value and also what you want to pay.

kparrow and Boosted4runner like this.
  28. Dec 23, 2018 at 7:39 AM
    computeruser6

computeruser6 Gott Mit Uns

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirk
    Escondido
    Vehicle:
    2008 Regular Cab Tundra
    King 2.5 coilovers Nitto Exo Grapplers
    All of the Titans use to come with nothing but a Dana 44 in the rear but this went away with the redesign a few years ago. The regular Titan's get a 9.25" AAM rear axle and the XD gets a 9.84" semi-float rear end. They're appropriately sized now and won't shatter a ring and pinion like the older Titans would.

29. Dec 23, 2018 at 7:50 AM
    CamoNorange

CamoNorange New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    Yes please.
    Sorry been away a couple days... Anyways, I just looked into this and when I made an account with toyota and put this Vin in, it shows all my info including address so I'm not comfortable putting this out there. Can I ask why you wanted it?

30. Dec 23, 2018 at 9:34 AM
    CamoNorange

CamoNorange New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    Yes please.
    Someday when teachers are rich I’ll remember the advice to only buy new—and follow it. I did buy the Toyota gold and have coverage for another 25k. I worry about what happens after this.

Edit: Further, it was serviced at the dealer I bought it at. When asked if it had had problems they said no.

At 50k miles this truck should have been barely broken in.
    The issue isn’t that it was used, it’s that it was a lemon (although not legally). The dealer and Toyota should be standing behind it.

I bought the warranty just in case—damn glad I did. But the history of this vehicle is a clear outlier and instead of acknowledging that and buy it back (less a years use), they offered me an incentive toward new or cpo if I TRADE it at a loss.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018

Products Discussed in

To Top