1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Test drove 2016 F150 EB

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ColoradoTJ, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Jun 22, 2016 at 5:50 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ [OP] Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Test drove is a relative term. I flogged that bad boy!!!

My FIL has a 12' EB, and it would be a head to head comparison in power vs feel. The new 16' F150 has changed the playing field.

With the new aluminum body trucks, they are noticeably lighter, and that in turn makes it a bit more "snappy" to say the least.

Some nice features, 16 F150 Sport:

- Rear tailgate light, step/handle
    - Bed has LED lights, lockable tie downs, 6.5' bed
    - Tow mirrors have bottom and side lights
    - Interior is comfortable, very roomy. Not as roomy as a CM.
    - Trailer hookup assist. Cool, but I doubt that would be used for myself.
    - Interior is very quiet at freeway speeds.

Things I didn't like:

- rear sliding window. Small and serves no purpose.
    - looks are still up in the air for me.

Power came on early and quick. My friend said we can hook this up to my camper to see what it is like towing, for shitzngiggles.

I sure hope the 4th gen Tundra comes out with a big baseball bat...

image.jpg image.jpg
    image.jpg

V8sOnly and NewImprovedRon like this.
  2. Jun 22, 2016 at 6:32 AM
    chphilo

chphilo Tundra addict

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra TRD 5.7 4x4 CM
    Personally aluminum body on a truck is a definite negative. When we were looking for SUVs, I immediately ruled out Ford Expedition because EcoBoost engine (the only option you have). I understand that the government mandate dictates the direction of development, but this is not always good for truck enthusiasts. I really hope Tundra doesn't retrogress.

3. Jun 22, 2016 at 7:02 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    This was a F series test truck. In this particular test Ford was trying to see how fire resistant aluminum is. [​IMG]

4. Jun 22, 2016 at 7:41 AM
    Ryan Mc.

Ryan Mc. New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Mission Viejo
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 5.7L
    Hand made bed divider, bed d-rings
    CAFE Standards are pinching ALL automakers in the ass. The one loophole in CAFE that I think I understand is that across all Models in a Maker's lineup, the mpg has to have a harmonic average...not sure myself the mpg number. And Toyota has 8 vehicles in its Hybrid/FCV chart out of 20 they offer in the US, which equates to 40% of their vehicles are extremely fuel efficient. Ford offers 17 and 3 of them have a hybrid/electric configuration, which equates to 17.6%. Not to mention that Toyota offers regular vehicles that get good mpg that are not hybrid/electric...and so does Ford. So Toyota is already ahead of the game, so they don't have to make extreme body/engine modifications to their trucks, just as long as their other vehicles make up for the mpg loss the trucks use. The truck market is the largest vehicle market in the US by far. So why change your money maker?!?!

With regards to the 2015+ F150s, I have to admit, prior to buying my '15 Tundra, I was on the fence with the F150. The offered cool technology both in and outside of the cab, however they nickle and dimed the hell out of you. Back up camera wasn't STOCK, cruise control wasn't STOCK, and others things turned me off. By 2018 back up cameras are mandatory on all new vehicles sold in the US. So Toyota and Honda jumped on the wagon early, marketing that they offer them as stock items before any others.......back to the truck. I am a fan of going aluminum however, in the Chevy adds they punch holes in the aluminum bed of the F150. That is the ONE area I would not want aluminum...the floor of the truck bed. Make that area steel, and the side walls and bed sides aluminum. Now I am definitely a Ford guy before Chevy, but I am a Toyota guy first.

astro-jason, ColoradoTJ[OP] and CMB like this.
  5. Jun 22, 2016 at 8:56 AM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    IMNHO, one place Ford has always been lacking, is in styling. With the notable exceptions (F150 need not apply) of the early Mustangs and T-Birds, Ford must hire designers based on their lack of imagination. I mean seriously, would it kill them to think outside the box (pun intended)?

I suppose one might call an aluminum body imaginative. Now you can imagine what the cost to repair will be at your next fender-bender

ColoradoTJ[OP] and Black Wolf like this.
  6. Jun 22, 2016 at 8:59 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I forgot to ask my friend last night about insurance cost. Wonder if it went up?

7. Jun 22, 2016 at 9:01 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    I will let you guys know how the race goes between his truck and mine. Very interested in the outcome of that.

T-Rex266 and Black Wolf like this.
  8. Jun 22, 2016 at 11:10 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Ford may have changed the playing field, but a "game changer"? Not so sure about that. Seems that the new 2016 RAM Rebel and Chevy/GMC have been the trucks impressing the 4X4 magazine editors the most with their field tests. (Raptor doesn't count, not out yet). I don't really have too much of a problem with aluminum. Previous Ford vehicles that used aluminum had severe paint issues. Aluminum is very fickle when it comes to proper prep before applying paint. I've heard that Ford has a work around for that issue. That said, I've owned a couple of Ford trucks over the years. They didn't really suck, just don't want another one. It's that reliability thing.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
    ColoradoTJ[OP] likes this.
  9. Jun 22, 2016 at 1:16 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    It should to do the repair costs are higher..

10. Jun 22, 2016 at 6:30 PM
    zcarpenter92

zcarpenter92 Yotas and Yellow Jackets

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    NE Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2008 Desert Sand 5.7L DC
    In sig
    Another problem with aluminum, especially here in CO is the risk of hail damage. From what I've been hearing, aluminum is an absolute bitch to pull dents out of.

11. Jun 22, 2016 at 10:03 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Good point Zach. Hell, I was caught up in a wonderful hail storm on Monday evening on my way up to Northglen. Tomorrow I find out how much that is going to be.

12. Jun 22, 2016 at 10:09 PM
    Inferno16

Inferno16 New Member

Member:
  13. Jun 23, 2016 at 5:02 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    It's extremely hard to work with aluminum. Especially when it comes to re-shaping it. Unlike when working with steel. Seems to me Toyota could go the poly-carbonate bed panel route like they did with the Tacoma to lose some weight. At least bed side poly panels.

ColoradoTJ[OP] likes this.
  14. Jun 23, 2016 at 6:04 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Steel is a far better product to use for "work" areas in a truck for sure. Then again, there is a small percentage of people that actually use their trucks for work.

It will be interesting to see when the heavy duty trucks come out with aluminum bodies. From what I have seen in my companies truck line up (pretty much all Fords and Ram), they better stick with aftermarket beds and just buy cab and chassis trucks.

Like in the original post, I am impressed with the truck. However, you will not see me running down to the dealership to buy one. Unfortunately for Ford, my Tundra is used for work.

Black Wolf likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top