1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tailgate paint chipping?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by laltaffer, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Mar 21, 2018 at 8:05 AM
    laltaffer

laltaffer [OP] New Member

Member:
    Yeah still not sure how any stones are hitting it and causing it. I have found a few other owners who seem to be having this same problem, paint seemingly randomly chipping off and only one one panel and not the whole vehicle. Not all tailgates.

2. Mar 21, 2018 at 9:49 AM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    So dirty "brushes" at an auto wash? Seems plausible to me. If I ever go to an auto wash, I do touchless

3. Aug 22, 2020 at 2:55 AM
    laltaffer

Member:
    So it seems like the Tundra paint job is just, almost, universally thin. Might depend on the color, but some of the 'fancier' colors, all seem to have reports of chipping much easier than expected, or scratching or peeling. My Tacoma certainly went through way worse conditions and never chipped. It had its share of scratches but all from things you'd really expect to damage your paint.

I've never had a vehicle repainted and I realize the cost can vary quite a lot. Does anyone have a best guess on what a high quality paint job would cost across all panels of the vehicle? At this point I have chips on all panels except maybe the roof. And this is from 95% high way driving, not gravel farm road uses.

Fierce_Beard likes this.
  4. Mar 8, 2021 at 11:15 AM
    Fierce_Beard

Fierce_Beard New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra SR5 TRD Off-Road
    Ranch Hand Summit Front Bumper/Brush Guard; Tonneau Cover; Running Boards, Tinted Windows
    I agree the paint may be thin. Mine is chipping along the driver side. I have friends with tundras of different years who use the same car wash without issue.

5. Mar 8, 2021 at 11:56 AM
    laltaffer

Member:
    Yup. Every dealer and detailer that has seen it has been convinced it was faulty paint. But I have no way to prove it and there have been no recalls. So. It I what it is. Maybe one day I’ll get a whole new paint job

6. Mar 8, 2021 at 12:10 PM
    crewmaxlmt

crewmaxlmt How dare you!

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2020 Crewmax Limited
    Years ago I got Chevy to repaint my black truck due to "crows feet" on the hood and the roof. If you take it to a Toyota dealer, make sure that it is one with a body shop. I drove 40 minutes out of my way to go to a Chevy dealer with a body shop but the service manager was able to spot paint defects since he dealt with them regularly.

7. Mar 8, 2021 at 12:18 PM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    Bakflip MX4 Toneau cover Esp storage Audio system (Helix speakers, JL audio amp and sub) Front windows and windshield tinted LED interior and bed lights
    I have several on my tailgate as well. I'm thinking it's probably from pulling a trailer on a gravel road and having the rocks bouncing off the trailer and it it. When I had my Tacoma, I actually had a rock that bounced off of a big barbeque grill I was pulling and shatter my back window.

8. Sep 7, 2021 at 7:24 AM
    frayedknot

frayedknot New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2021 Smoked Mesquite Tundra 1974 Edition
    I've had something similar happen on a past vehicle that I only washed by driving through a "touchless" high pressure wash for over a year consistently. Eventually I was able to correlate the paint chipping to the continued high pressure wash. I'm sure Subaru's lousy paint played into the issue as well. Learned my lesson and only hand wash now. Just a thought.

Products Discussed in

To Top