1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tailgate latch options

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Hooptytrix, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Feb 26, 2020 at 12:41 PM
    foxtrapper

foxtrapper New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 SR5
    Don’t know of any difference between a 2004 tailgate and earlier. If you go shopping a junkyard, you’ll find the tailgates interchange just fine. It’s a simple torsion bar, it can be fitted.

I’ll stand by my words about a gas cylinder strut fitting. One would have to do the work of selecting ones short enough, and doing the end mounts themselves. I didn’t spell that out explicitly because I didn’t realize that was necessary. I would suggest starting with the likes of https://industrialgassprings.com. If you’re near a junkyard, check the tailgate gas cylinders on a Volvo P2 era wagon. They are very strong compact gas cylinder.

2. Feb 26, 2020 at 1:22 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    I just looked at the smallest strut on your above link site at 15mm ø (.59” approx. ø) and 7.5”+/- in length. The stroke length is the tricky part in positioning and needs consideration as well, as it works with the swing radius. Maybe be able to make it happen length wise, but alas see paragraph 3 below.

Width wise, add in the strut mount plate/pins and its associated stand off such that they clear the strut once in the ‘tuck’ position and I’ll stand by my previous statement. A no go.

I didn’t take side angle pics looking at the cable droop required. Eliminating that cable in a non-consideration as its there for structural support of which the strut cannot provide.

Conclusion: The gate gap needs greater clearance or no cable plus a modded side jamb in order to work.

I can’t make a comment on the torsion bar and why the torsion website says does not fit.
    upload_2020-2-26_16-5-23.jpg

upload_2020-2-26_16-5-47.jpg

3. Feb 26, 2020 at 11:32 PM
    02goes

02goes New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4X4
    Don't need the cable if your not using it like a work trk loading and unloading heavy stuff in the bed. If a strut fully extended matches the cable on the opposite side your good to go for non work truck use. If something heavy is loaded every once in a while just rest the load on the cable side. The tail gates are very ridged and not flimsy POS.

Products Discussed in

To Top