1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tail lights out fuse not blown

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by BOBONTUESDAY, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Feb 10, 2019 at 8:04 AM
    BOBONTUESDAY

BOBONTUESDAY [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited Trd
    Turn, reverse and brake work just no running lights hence no tailights sorry if it wasn't clear I was pretty pissed and cold last night.

Yes just no tail.

I just go this rig home lol.
    Yeah just no tail/running light whatever you want to call it.

No power to the taillight wire that is my issue here and I can't seem to figure out what the hell happened.

15whtrd likes this.
  2. Feb 10, 2019 at 8:06 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, charcoal filter delete, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, Tyger soft tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate.
    OK so if the trailer harness is working and it’s on the same fuses as the tail lights, I think that narrows it down to something going on at the rear of the truck. Am I wrong? My next thought would be, does the trailer harness run all the way up to the fuse box or does it splice into the tail light wires at some point on its way to the rear of the truck.

3. Feb 10, 2019 at 8:06 AM
    duece292

duece292 Pennsylvania Hillbilly Deluxe

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Green Bay, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 CM TRD 5.7 4X4
    I'm almost a full pot in, almost time to temper that a bloody Mary. I could be totally wrong but I think the headlight switch is the culprit. If brakes and turns work but no tails and now no fogs, all of that is contained in this one multi-function switch. s-l300.jpg

equin, 15whtrd and Wynnded like this.
  4. Feb 10, 2019 at 8:06 AM
    BOBONTUESDAY

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited Trd
    I'm sick of this snow it's been horrible this year and the shit they put on the roads does not help. And being negative temps all night doesn't help either.

5. Feb 10, 2019 at 8:07 AM
    BOBONTUESDAY

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited Trd
    I'm starting to think it's that too. Im gonna order it and give it a shot hopefully it's that and not some electronic gremlin.

6. Feb 10, 2019 at 8:08 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded Wait, what?

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    2011 RCSB 5.7L AWD Tundra
    OEM Upgrades: Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold) Limited Wheels Limited Grill Stubby Antenna Automatic Climate Controls Automatic Headlamp Mod TRD Rear Sway Bar Sequoia Front Sway Bar Sequoia Transfer Case Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Sequoia LED Headlamps Window Tint Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMF Stainless Catback DAP N/A Tune Engine Block Heater
    I think you could be on to something here.

BOBONTUESDAY [OP] likes this.
  7. Feb 10, 2019 at 8:09 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, charcoal filter delete, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, Tyger soft tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate.
    I was thinking the same but he said it works through the trailer harness. That’s what’s throwing me off.

BOBONTUESDAY [OP] likes this.
  8. Feb 10, 2019 at 8:11 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded Wait, what?

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    OEM Upgrades: Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold) Limited Wheels Limited Grill Stubby Antenna Automatic Climate Controls Automatic Headlamp Mod TRD Rear Sway Bar Sequoia Front Sway Bar Sequoia Transfer Case Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Sequoia LED Headlamps Window Tint Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMF Stainless Catback DAP N/A Tune Engine Block Heater
    Try giving the current headlight switch some reasonable contortions and see if any functions return.

15whtrd likes this.
  9. Feb 10, 2019 at 8:13 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I initially disregarded the switch, being that his truck is so new. But he’s got a lot of miles on it so you guys may be right.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  10. Feb 10, 2019 at 8:17 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded Wait, what?

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    True, but we have to be somewhat creative too.

15whtrd likes this.
  11. Feb 10, 2019 at 8:18 AM
    Tundra4Pinay

Tundra4Pinay Ultimate Grand Supreme Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Monet
    So.Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blaaack CrewMax - SR5 - 4x4
    Bob, throw this defective Tundra away and order a new Pro!!

rons23 and BOBONTUESDAY [OP] like this.
  12. Feb 10, 2019 at 8:19 AM
    duece292

duece292 Pennsylvania Hillbilly Deluxe

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Green Bay, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 CM TRD 5.7 4X4
    Very true. I'm just going off of past experiences. I recently changed one out on a Chevy Malibu where it only killed the left front turn signal and one on a Dodge Dakota where all of the light functions are in the stalk like our trucks. On the Dakota when the column clicked the left turn off, the left brake light wouldn't work. All fuses were good in both. Too bad we all weren't closer, today would be a good day to contemplate this over bloodys and beers:D

13. Feb 10, 2019 at 8:21 AM
    BOBONTUESDAY

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited Trd
    Everything else works besides the tails and the fogs. But my trail light plug still works. Which is whagbus confusing me here.
    But it's worth a shot to try out

183k now lol. Kinda shitty if little things start falling apart now.

15whtrd likes this.
  14. Feb 10, 2019 at 8:26 AM
    BOBONTUESDAY

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited Trd
    It's been a good truck so far. Only blown out an axle seal. One wheel bearing. Radiator had to be changed. Alternator went out. Blower motor went out once. Main seal is dripping a little bit and now the tailights went out lol.

I'm gonna find the part number and order the the multifunction switch for my truck and we what happens.
    Well I'm Minneapolis lol you're only the state next door and I don't think 10 am is to early to start drinking lol.

NewImprovedRon, duece292 and 15whtrd like this.
  15. Feb 10, 2019 at 8:27 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I’d be in! I had strange problems with my Chevy all related to the ignition switch. It would go into limp mode at random. I would start the truck and it would be in limp mode. I would shut it off and try again, while delicately trying to position the key in such away that would finally work. All this while trying not to take a hammer to it! Once it even just randomly applied the brakes while I was driving, to the point where it wouldn’t even move. I had to shut it off in the middle of the street put it in park and restart to get the brakes to let go. Changed the ignition switch, and all was well. It just didn’t make sense to me because with older cars, this would never be a symptom. I had to change my thinking.

I would love to have some beers and try to figure this one out.

NewImprovedRon and duece292 like this.
  16. Feb 10, 2019 at 8:29 AM
    BOBONTUESDAY

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited Trd
    I had an issue about a month ago where my steering column was locked and my key wouldn't unlock it. I figured out my key was a little bent lol. But I got it going to get myself home lol.

duece292 and 15whtrd like this.
  17. Feb 10, 2019 at 8:30 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    It’s strange to see you have so many issues but you do have a lot of miles. I imagine most of those are highway. You definitely use that truck!

18. Feb 10, 2019 at 8:30 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded Wait, what?

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    I'm definitely interested in what he ultimate solution turns out to be.

15whtrd likes this.
  19. Feb 10, 2019 at 8:30 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Was that when you tried to lock the tailgate with the key?

20. Feb 10, 2019 at 8:32 AM
    Dmas

Dmas New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    FTL, FL
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Tundra DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    Don’t know if this has been covered, but check the ground points, they may be a loose ground somewhere , these trucks have ground points everywhere around the body and engine compartment.

Wynnded and Watt maker like this.
  21. Feb 10, 2019 at 8:35 AM
    Watt maker

Watt maker Keepin' the lights on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronald
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Tundra DC Cement
    1 of 255
    If the tail lights work on the trailer circuit, I doubt it's the multi-function switch, but that could possibly be a reason why the fogs don't work. The truck tail lights and the trailer tail lights should should be on separate fuses. Remove the tail lights, find the tail light wire, grab a test light or volt meter, and start following and testing that wire working towards the front of the truck.

22. Feb 10, 2019 at 8:36 AM
    BOBONTUESDAY

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited Trd
    I believe it got bent from.locking and unlocking the tailgate so many times.
    I don't believe it could be that since everything else works but I'll give it a shot.

15whtrd likes this.
  23. Feb 10, 2019 at 8:42 AM
    BOBONTUESDAY

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited Trd
    I know there's no power to the wire from where the tailights hookup.
    I just have to find the correct wire under there and trace it after I unthaw my truck out. It's pretty packed with snow right now.

15whtrd and Watt maker like this.
  24. Feb 10, 2019 at 9:07 AM
    equin

equin Texarican Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Sky DC SR5 5.7L 4x4 TSS Package
    TRD Rear Anti-sway bar, TRD Pro skid plate, Bedrug bed mat, Icon Rebounds 285/75/17 Cooper Discoverer XLTs, Bilstein 6112s/5160s, Diamondback SE, Dirtydeeds Industries 8" stainless BAMuffler, aFe dry air filter, TRD air intake accelerator
    That's exactly my thinking as well. If there's no power to that wire, then follow it back.

NewImprovedRon and Watt maker like this.
  25. Feb 13, 2019 at 12:13 PM
    BOBONTUESDAY

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited Trd
    Little update,
    My fog lights will turn on but then shut off after a couple seconds. This leads me to believe there is a ground issue somewhere.
    I ordered the multifunction switch so hopefully that is the issue with my taillights I'll follow the wire back this weekend to see if it's damaged somewhere I believe it might be. and the issue with the fogs is just a bad ground.

Watt maker and equin like this.
  26. Feb 13, 2019 at 12:15 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I’ve seen relays do weird shit like that before.

BOBONTUESDAY [OP] and Wynnded like this.
  27. Feb 21, 2019 at 5:46 AM
    thatonedave_

thatonedave_ New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Centennial, CO
    Vehicle:
    2008 White Tundra DC
    Same boat here. Fuses are all good, checked both visually and with with a voltmeter. Fuses are getting voltage to them, but no power back to the tail lights, fogs, license plate lights. I was hoping to pull some power off the trailer plug as a temp fix, but no power there either. Just bought my 08 (4th Tundra I’ve owned tho), and previous owner threw on some LED tails and different headlight housing. Slowly trying to bring it back to stock so I can find the gremlin. It’s somewhere between the fuse and lights. Replacing the relay might be my next thing to try so I can rule it out. Is it just the fog relay? I got a Haynes manual in the mail so I need to go chase the system down still. Just been trying the obvious first.

28. Feb 21, 2019 at 9:34 AM
    BOBONTUESDAY

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited Trd
    I swapped the fog light relay with a different relay and it didn't make a difference. I'm gonna throw the truck in the shop Sunday and see if I can figure it out.

29. Feb 21, 2019 at 9:38 AM
    Sas

Sas Humor is everywhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    '17 SR5 CM TSS 4WD MGM 5.7 FF
    Lost track after #1.
    You check the fuses under the dash on the driver's side?

30. Feb 21, 2019 at 11:39 AM
    BOBONTUESDAY

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited Trd
    Every fuse has been tested and they're all good.

Products Discussed in

To Top