1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

T-shoot P0418 & P2445 (Air Injection System Pump) - 2005 Tundra DC 4x4

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by baraynavab, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Sep 13, 2020 at 12:11 PM
    baraynavab

baraynavab [OP] Toyo Junkie

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra CrewMax 4x4 5.7L V8
    Hey Folks,

So I bought a high mileage Tundra with 323k miles on it. It is a 2005 Tundra Double Cab 4x4. I am trying to troubleshoot the following MIL/CEL

P0418 - Air Injection System Air Pump Malfunction
    P2445 - Secondary Air Injection System Pump Stuck On Bank 1

The car is going into limp mode due to this fault. And I am having to clear the code on a constant basis to drive it. Once I clear the code it drives fine. It does have a high hiss as if a jet engine is running which really never goes away.

I believe these codes are interrelated. Reading the interweb I was not so sure how to get this fixed. I can take the manifold out and replace the motor if needed. But again is it as simple a Air injection motor swap or something more involved?

Additionally if its just a motor swap. Does getting a non OEM motor be okay? I see it for $60 bucks online. The OEM is for $450 or something....This is a 3dary vehicle for me so trying my had at a $60 part isnt too bad for me. LMK.

Thanks

Leo's first likes this.
  2. Sep 13, 2020 at 12:18 PM
    artsr2002

artsr2002 2005 Tundra DC SR5

Member:
    'Yonder
    Vehicle:
    Red-Maroon-Something 05 DC 4.7 4x2
    Several of us around here have bypassed the system instead. Another option for you.

HewittTech01 likes this.
  3. Sep 13, 2020 at 12:47 PM
    baraynavab

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    So I understand we can do a bypass. Would the bypass work for emissions as well. I live in a emissions state so that is my hesitation on this.

Also I do want to know all the options. Would swapping out the motor work to clear those codes? Cause I need to do some cleaning so taking out the manifold to clean is something I need to do anyway. If I can at the same time go in and just swap the motor out I would consider that.

4. Sep 14, 2020 at 2:28 PM
    rock climber

rock climber New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2001 Sequoia 4X4, 2000 AC 4X4
    You'll need to replace the pump, and the sensor. The price just for the parts is insane!

I've never heard of anybody failing emissions after installing the bypass kit

5. Sep 26, 2020 at 6:31 PM
    baraynavab

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    I get u need to replace the pump. What sensor are you talking about? I thought there is a pump and diverter and check valve in the back.
    I am not sure what sensor you are talking about. Can you please help if I am missing anything else.

Btw I am planning to replace the pump and clean the debris from the diverter. Hope that should be enough.

And finally I want to do the AIP bypass the pump altogether. I hope this should be enough and cause me to pass emissions as well. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By7JoJzynrbSSktEc1hxNHdJcTQ/view
    [​IMG]

upload_2020-9-26_20-28-52.jpg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  6. Sep 28, 2020 at 6:08 AM

912 @best_gen_tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    SWFL
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    EvilOne likes this.
  7. Sep 28, 2020 at 10:10 AM
    rock climber

rock climber New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2001 Sequoia 4X4, 2000 AC 4X4

Sorry, meant the check valves. Why replace anything if you are doing the bypass?

8. Oct 27, 2020 at 8:15 AM
    hewitttech

hewitttech New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    Toyotas/Lexus
    Secondary Air Injection System Bypass Kits
    Your best bet is the bypass kit like our V36HPPP kit. It will stop the system from running and the Pump Proxy Pack kit addon it comes with will let you clear the P0418 code without pulling the intake manifold. The aftermarket parts are not recommended, especially if you have to pull the intake to replace them. They often do not work from the start or only last for a short time before failing again. Even the expensive factory parts will fail again. If you have any questions or need help just let us know. 1-844-307-7671 support@hewitt-tech.com

9. Oct 30, 2020 at 6:54 AM
    baraynavab

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    @hewitttech I appreciate the info on this. I found another way if you are willing to do some of the work yourself and save a boat load of money on AIP bypass ($355 pro kit (Hewitt Tech) vs $48 (Slyfox75 ebay kit) vs < $20 DIY kit (Same thing as Slyfox kit but you make it yourself). The difference is the $355 will be a bolt on kit (no wire cutting) vs $48 & $20 is where you will cut 1 wire coming of the MAF sensor of your car. All the kits will do exactly the same thing. The Hewitt does have a extra steel block off plate for some conditions where you may need it. If you bypass this before the CEL start showing then at most times the block off place is not necessary.

However for some reason the $20 trick is not discussed on the forums as much. At least for the people who want to DIY and save money that option should be given. Anyways I followed the AIP bypass diy instructions and was able to fix this CEL. Now whenever the truck turns on it reads a really low intake air temp (IAT) value and does not engage the AIP system at startup. (FYI - IAT value is the THA pin on your MAF - This can be different pin on the MAF for different Gen of Tundra's)

BTW I will hopefully write DIY instructions for the 1st Gen Tundras to help others with this problem.

10. Nov 9, 2020 at 7:14 AM
    hewitttech

hewitttech New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    Toyotas/Lexus
    Secondary Air Injection System Bypass Kits
    Just to clarify our standard plug and play kit for the 2005-2007 vehicles is our V36H kit which is currently $149 + Free Shipping for the whole month of Nov. 2020 with coupon code "fall36sale".
    The kit you are quoting from us for $355 was the pre-sale price of our V36HPPP kit which is the V36H kit plus a Pump Proxy Pack (PPP).
    The PPP is the extra kit addon the Gen-I units need to turn off the P0418 code without having to pull the intake manifold to replace the actual pump motor it is an additional $155 by itself.

The method you are discussing has been around for a long time and even I wasn't aware of it until after I developed the my first bypass kits. There is actually a PDF floating around somewhere already for it. It is a viable solution for certain vehicles and code but is very installer dependent on getting it to work right. Most people including myself do not want to have to run wires back and forth across the engine bay and cut/splice wires. What we hear from most of our customers is that the time and effort required to do the home-brew/slyfox kit is not worth the trouble and they just want something that will work straight out of the box and is easy to install. We also sell plenty of our kits to those who have ungracefully tried to do the home. All of our kits do also include the block off plates. We recommend their installation even if you don't need them at the time of installing the kit because those valves can still leak in the future and put you back into limp mode. It is a complete solution when you install the block off plates. Just a few things to consider and I applaud your effort and would like to see you help support the community as well.

Warden3564 likes this.
  11. May 2, 2023 at 8:46 PM
    baraynavab

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    To do the DIY bypass kit yourself for your Tundra follow the attached guide. However be warned some different codes for AIP may not go away even after the DIY bypass kit since your pump is stuck in a on position or similar.

Also this bypass of written for the 2nd Gen Tundra. But I was able to adapted it for the 1st Gen Tundra. The major thing you have to keep in mind in the wiring is the MAF sensor need the "THA" sensor input. Which is different pin in the 1st gen Tundras vs whats the guide for 2nd Gen Tundras.

Same file by linked by Google - DIY AIP Bypass

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By...cTQ/view?resourcekey=0-pJ-CwS0CO5WG-W3EF04vXw

Also looks like someone has a Youtube video on this DIY procedure now :). But this is still for the 2nd Gen Truck. The 1st Gen has different wiring.. The MAF THA pin is most likely the Yellow-Green. But please check it to make sure. At least for the 2006 DC v8 it was the "Yellow Green" pin on the MAF.

upload_2023-5-3_0-17-2.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmHEE52BW28

Here is the link to the EWD wiring diagram reference for your truck.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/ultimate-tundra-wiring-diagrams-collection.81448/

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2023
    EvilOne and shifty` like this.
  12. May 3, 2023 at 6:32 AM
    HewittTech01

HewittTech01 Dont Replace SAIS, Bypass It!

Member:
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Secondary Air Injection System Bypass Kit
    @baraynavab I will second your comments and warning about splicing into the factory wiring harness. Additionally about ensuring you have the correct wiring diagram and colors for the vehicles Year/Make/Model/Engine Size. Last I want echo our previous post above...

Since this last post we have actually developed a more comprehensive Bypass Kit and even more competitive pricing on Gen 1 Bypass Kit. I have includes additional resources below about the SAIS.

What Does the Secondary Air Injection System Do?
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/what-does-the-secondary-air-injection-system-do.113683/

What Do My Secondary Air Injection Error Codes Mean?
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/what-do-my-secondary-air-injection-error-codes-mean.113686/

How to Fix Secondary Air Injection System?
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/how-do-you-fix-the-secondary-air-injection-system.113688/

EvilOne likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top