1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

T.Com community unites, swaps steering rack in desert AMAZING

Discussion in 'California' started by 831Tun, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Nov 1, 2019 at 12:00 AM
    Pinay

Pinay New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Monet
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black - SR5 - CrewMax - 4x4 - TSS Dirty Seven Club
    Mahal kita Kuya
    I did! :facepalm:

2. Nov 1, 2019 at 12:03 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    We all take different parts and tools like you suggested to help minimize stuff like this. Still happens though. High failure parts...oh hell yeah. For us, that's usually u-joints, tire plugs, and axle shafts.

3. Nov 1, 2019 at 12:05 AM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    Yeah, I understand that for built Tundras, with all the reinforced parts that comprise an LT build, it’s the steering racks. So... gotta figure it out.

Edit: I’m studying what you posted; if those are stronger than stock, maybe mitigate this weakness.

4. Nov 1, 2019 at 12:17 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

5. Nov 1, 2019 at 4:02 AM
    andy9743

andy9743 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    nw ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 tundra cm 4x4 trd sc, +2 pulley, 4.88s, 37's, other things
    Great read. Very cool.story.

831Tun[OP] likes this.
  6. Nov 1, 2019 at 4:43 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    Full LT, full armor, fully self contained Speed Glamper
    I need some help with my cab bushing today. I start around noon :thumbsup:

Yes, Bruce and I already looked into this. The problem is the input is offset. Howe will make one, but its a custom job, $4-5k plus fabrication to mount it. Packaging might be a problem too. Not much room. Might have to cut cross member out and make a new one or something. Its not something you can figure out until you commit to the job.

I'm not convinced its a "weak" component. I think its a "hit or miss" part. Most racks are good, some have weak seals. Ive seen 3 or 4 fail. The ones that fail all fail in the same way, the inner tie rod seals blow. My last rack had 70k very hard miles on it and no problems. I broke a couple teeth on it when I hit something wrong. It still worked, just made a click in a certain spot so I swapped it.

If your rack blows, you're not stuck on the trail. When it comes to carrying spare parts, you have the balance the size of the part, its value, and the difficulty of the repair. Everyone will have their own idea of how much weight to give these factors. For example, I carry a serpentine belt. Without one you'll be dead in the water. Plus, its small and light and easy to carry. Easy to swap too. A steering rack is heavy and big and where TF would you store it?? Not to mention its at least a 6 hour job, requires two men, and requires jack stands and a floor jack. Bottle jacks or hilifts wont work. Finally, if your rack blows, you're not dead in the water. You can still drive out. You'll lose your power steering pump by driving with no fluid, but at least you wont need a tow.

As much as it sucks to have a rack blow, carrying a spare doesnt make sense. Upgrading to a howe rack would be awesome, but cost prohibitive.

7. Nov 1, 2019 at 4:59 AM
    e30cabrio

e30cabrio I'm e30cabrio, I'm a modaholic

Member:
    West Valley, Phoenix, Az.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Crewmax, 2013 Sequoia Limited
    Sequoia LED Headlights! D.T. L.T. headers, dual exh., BDX, S&B intake, 2018 seat skins.
    Great read. Glad it worked out and kudos to all that helped!

eccracer104 and 831Tun[OP] like this.
  8. Nov 1, 2019 at 5:07 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Had I known they could be as cheap as $750, I would’ve tried to work him over a little more. I was going in blind. I always try to talk the parts guy down. But if they’ve already jacked the price up significantly, they can easily drop a few bucks off to make you feel better. Then the consumer, not realizing that it was highly inflated to begin with. But when they know you need something and they have the only one, they’ve got you by the nuggets!

9. Nov 1, 2019 at 5:18 AM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    Dealers are crazy, the one I bought for Warren same day was $723.

10. Nov 1, 2019 at 5:19 AM
    Cfincke

Cfincke Mall Crawler but capable

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 1794 CM 5.7 4x4 sunset bronze
    5.29s, Auburn LSD, 37x12.50R18, Icon coilovers and shocks, SPC UCA's, Tech 12 Volts sound system, Enve Grill
    I am for ever grateful for the SoCal members. The little 3 day 'baby-moon' vacation my wife and I planned while she was 30 weeks pregnant, turned into a 5 week stay after my wife developed complications and my son had to be delivered. we landed at midnight, at the hospital before 7am and he was delivered before 7pm. We were able to get into the Ronald McDonald House after 5-6 days. My wife started over producing milk to the point the hospitals both said we had to find somewhere else to store any more milk. Both @Sunnier and @sdde4n immediately offered up space in their garage for me to place a deep freezer to store the milk, @sdde4n worked a mile away from the hospital and he offered to transport the milk back home so I did not have to make the drive (allowing me to be next to my son). Every 4-5 days Sam and I met up so he could take another medium size box cooler of frozen milk to the deep freezer. Both Sam and Sunny took us to lunch a few times, which got my wife and I away from the hospital for an hour or two (we both really needed that). Sam, Sunny and Steve (@nishibot) planned a quick day trip off-road outing for us, even though they had just had a big off-road weekend 2 weeks earlier and had another coming up.
    Some where in the 5 weeks, a SoCal group was having a monthy meet up to hang out and eat, so I went to get away for a few hours, got to meet @eccracer104 and @Spvrtan. During the 5 weeks I also talked with Keith aka @dirtydeeds and spent one evening at his place talking, having a drink, and going out in his 1st gen LT tundra. I needed the emotional distraction more so than my wife. The way everyone supported and helped us was incredible.
    My son spent 89 days in the NICU between 3 hospitals and it has been almost a year now since he came home and he is doing great now.

jc153, joonbug, SIXSEVENONE and 14 others like this.
  11. Nov 1, 2019 at 5:38 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Once I found out, it was quite disheartening. They definitely pulled one over on me. With tax it was going to be basically double that $723 mark. So I definitely thought I was getting a good deal when they knock 200 off the quoted price at the counter. That’s freaking robbery man!

papasmurf, 831Tun[OP] and Pinay like this.
  12. Nov 1, 2019 at 6:45 AM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Next time you’re out let’s skip the medical bits and go all in for fun. I’m excited to see you all, when you make it out next year!

13. Nov 1, 2019 at 6:55 AM
    831Tun

831Tun [OP] heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    Hey Sean, I appreciate all you did. Like I said, you gotta shop to find the cheaper price and that was not an option at the time. I needed "that" one, not something a little less expensive that might arrive 24 hrs later. It all worked out perfectly, Thanks

Sunnier, joonbug, papasmurf and 4 others like this.
  14. Nov 1, 2019 at 7:05 AM
    831Tun

831Tun [OP] heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    OK Aex, on my way. Sent from my Iphone. LOL
    Actually, I can be there Monday.

joonbug, papasmurf, Pinay and 3 others like this.
  15. Nov 1, 2019 at 7:15 AM
    smslavin

smslavin Behind a lens...

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    you guys are awesome :cheers:

Sunnier, Marty McFly, Pinay and 2 others like this.
  16. Nov 1, 2019 at 7:18 AM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Amazing. So happy to be part of this community when I see stories like this.

Please give me a minute to wipe my tears.

OK, I'm back

:cheers:

17. Nov 1, 2019 at 7:23 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    Im just playing warren...

If I do have you come over we'll be swapping a door LOL

18. Nov 1, 2019 at 7:42 AM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Very cool story. Huge props to all of those involved. Nice job Everyone.

Sunnier, Pinay, eccracer104 and 2 others like this.
  19. Nov 1, 2019 at 8:38 AM
    papasmurf

papasmurf Savage Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 Tundra
    07 Silver Sky 4x4 | Total Chaos LT | 2.5 King Coil overs & Bypasses | Camburg Bed Cage | 3.0 King Bypasses | 2.0 King Bumps | Custom Deavers | Nitro 4.88's | ARB Locker | Demello Sliders | 17" Double Standards | BFGKO2 37's |
    lol TJ

yeah those guys are 2 minutes from my house, I’ve taken my truck down to them and after some spirited discussion 5k$ is the starting price to get a custom rack made... at a minimum if they could do it... space is the Issue. We gone round and round about this topic sadly there is no easy fix,.. I’m on my 4th rack but since going LT and putting 50k + hard miles no issues I truly believe the rack problem is combined issue... bad manufacturing and certain kits add stress to them ie bds, fab tech etc. or unfortunately a little love tap from a rock wall in Warren’s case ... I’d love to come up w a long term solution and I still may work with Howe on this in the future but at 1k a rack I’ll stick w stock for now... one more and yes I could have paid for a Howe setup.. but again all depends on if it’s even possible w the space we have

20. Nov 1, 2019 at 8:50 AM
    JDL17CM4x4

JDL17CM4x4 Adventure Mobile

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra TRD 4x4
    More to Come ...
    It was crazy to see you guys working on that thing in the middle of nowhere. Me and @Porschetech29 @TheFreshMouse did not mind the night run to bring the rack out to you. Just wish we got to wheel with you guy more but like you said we need a do over trip haha .......... "T" = TRUCK GANG!!!!

21. Nov 1, 2019 at 12:45 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Oh damn. With a 5k cost, not worth it in my opinion.

Do you know anything about the factory power steering pump (pressure and flow rate)?

What I’m getting at is a full hydro steering setup. What’s your thoughts on that?

831Tun[OP], Marty McFly and 15whtrd like this.
  22. Nov 1, 2019 at 1:02 PM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    It's like 1600 or 1800 psi I think. Not totally sure

From what I understand full hydro steering doesn't handle well on the street and can be dangerous. But I haven't done hard research on it

23. Nov 1, 2019 at 1:18 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    My wife has a 08 Scion XB, years ago when we got it I was quite surprised to find no power steering reservoir. So it must be electric assist. To be honest I haven’t really looked into it but the steering in that car is great. Is there a reason they don’t put this type of system on a truck?

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  24. Nov 1, 2019 at 1:19 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Oh that would be perfect pressure wise. having a factory ps cooler is bad ass addition as well.

Depending on the hydraulic directional valve, you’re correct on this being very “touchy”. Buying the right one is key.

I used to worry/break steering components a lot. Not so much anymore. 5D31C408-BF2E-4C35-A76F-F74126B0D8C4.jpg
    1083550F-C84E-4D33-9488-2BEBC148D3D6.jpg

I’ll get some more time in tonight on directional valve options. The one in my TJ is very direct and goes from center to full lock in 1.5 turns. Others can be purchased for 3-4 turns like the factory rack.

In the end though, how much of a problem are these racks? Not sure I’m looking at the full picture and creating a problem that doesn’t exist for 80% of the Tundra owners.

25. Nov 1, 2019 at 1:21 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Wonder if the Scion was fully electric? My 07 Lexus has no hydraulic steering.

15whtrd[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. Nov 1, 2019 at 1:29 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I want to say it is fully electric. I looked all over that thing and could not find any type of reservoir. I guess it’s possible it could be electric with some type of hydraulic ram but, wouldn’t that need a reservoir LOL? That car is so low to the ground that I have not been under it other than to change the oil. They keep everything so tight It’s hard to get an idea what’s going on without getting it on some jackstands. It’s about to hit the 100 K mark and I’m due to change the manual transmission lube, coolant, hoses and serpentine belt. Hopefully I’ll get a better look at it then.

but still, I wonder why they haven’t implemented these electronic steering systems in trucks. Maybe it’s possible they aren’t up to the task of big wheels and heavy trucks. But it would seem like a really good idea if they could get it right.

27. Nov 1, 2019 at 1:42 PM
    EAK

EAK New Member

Member:
    KY
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 White 1794
    BAMuffler 8” SS Bilstein 6112/5160 Icon UCAs
    Cool story. It's refreshing to hear about the positive side of people when all I see and read on the news is negative.

28. Nov 1, 2019 at 1:44 PM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah. Stop reading the news, spend more time wheeling.... :)

29. Nov 1, 2019 at 1:45 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2008_Scion_xD_1.8L_4_Cyl./power_steering_fluid/check_fluid_level

My GMC has electric power assist with hydraulic. Takes a bit to get used to the feel.

15whtrd[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. Nov 1, 2019 at 1:50 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top