1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Swapping to Spyder Headlights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by iamavol, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Jan 9, 2021 at 7:08 PM
    iamavol

iamavol [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Good Evening All,

Thanks for allowing me to join the group. I have a 2016 Toyota SR5 TRD Offroad. It is time to change out my headlights and I want to go with the Spyder Headlights (5080158). It looks like I can transfer my auto leveler system to the new spyder lights. Has that been successful for most everyone? Also going to upgrade the tail lights to Spyders along with the fog lamps. Planning on adding a light bar in the hood buldge.

I bought the truck new in 2016 and have been wanting to do this...I am getting ready to hit 100K miles so it is about time. Any recommendations on the headlight assemble other than the number I listed above.

Thanks

iamavol

2. Jan 9, 2021 at 9:14 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    What's your budget if you don't mind me asking?

3. Jan 9, 2021 at 9:27 PM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    with my experience with sypder lights in the past (leaky and poor beam patterns), i would personally save up and spend a bit more for morimotos or oem led headlight assemblies

BrandonL812 likes this.
  4. Jan 10, 2021 at 5:52 AM
    iamavol

iamavol [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Haven't really established a hard budget for these. I am thinking the headlights would run $300-$400 to replace. Don't think I would spend $1K to replace the headlights but I know I can't do it for $100 :) Really going to depend on if they fit the look that I am wanting. I know that may sound like a wonky answer. I also would like to replace the taillights and put a hood light in...but the NSV Light Bar is WAY too expensive. I don't see paying a grand for the hood light

5. Jan 10, 2021 at 6:10 AM
    obgod3

obgod3 New Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Limited
    Ive had Spyders for a while on my 08, honestly they are not very good, I’m either going to go back to new oem or spend the 1K for something decent. You get what you pay for. Mine are three years old and already starting to glaze over also, night driving is an interesting experience.

6. Jan 10, 2021 at 6:30 AM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    Chad, I would save a little more cash and look into the Alpharex Pros. A lot of members are running them. They are way better than Spyder. Spyders have fitment and condensation problems, and customer service lacks. Here are a few links

https://alpharexusa.com/product/07-...equoia-pro-series-projector-headlights-black/
    https://alpharexusa.com/installation-guide-for-07-13-toyota-tundra-08-17-toyota-sequoia-headlights/

7. Jan 10, 2021 at 7:25 AM
    cygan1008

cygan1008 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    “RIP” 2013 Tundra TRD Rock Warrior, 2018 TRD SPORT CM 4x4 SUPER WHITE Eibach Pro 2.0 275/65/20 Recon Grapplers
    What he said. I have the Morimotos but have seen the alpharex pro as well as a set of spyders in person and the alpharex is nicer looking with better reviews.

8. Jan 10, 2021 at 7:35 AM
    RobertD

RobertD SSEM#123, ASCM#4 "I call it Vera" ~Jayne Cobb

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue SR5 4x4 Crewmax
  9. Jan 10, 2021 at 8:03 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    Take the money that you would spend on taillights and put it towards the headlights. Just me but taillights are a worthless upgrade. I would put my money in something useful. Not sure the light bar in hood is street legal so if you don't offroad then save that money too. If you do offroad then put a 42" behind the grille or a smaller one in the bumper or both.

WP_20180114_19_31_47_Pro.jpg

10. Jan 10, 2021 at 10:44 AM
    iamavol

iamavol [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    I do like those Alpharex lights...I have a 16 Tundra so I just need to find those. On their site now. I think this is the way I will go. Thank you for the recommendation

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021

Products Discussed in

To Top