1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension Upgrade Question for 2014 SR5

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by WanderingMuse00, Nov 24, 2022.

1. Nov 24, 2022 at 8:05 AM
    WanderingMuse00

WanderingMuse00 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Blue Ribbon Tundra SR5
    Morimoto XB LED headlights and tails, Tekonsha P3 electric trailer brake
    Hi Everyone, New member but recent lurker here with a question regarding the suspension upgrade I want to do on my Blue 2014 SR5 Tundra. I inherited this truck from my father a few months ago after his sudden passing. He was saving it as his retirement vehicle but he was never interested in modifying it other than replacing the stock steel wheels with the optional 20" Toyota wheels with a tire size of 275/55 R20. Since I've taken to driving it a couple of days a week, it has finally graduated to 25K miles.

Actual Question: I'm considering buying Camburg's Fox 2.5 Factory DSC kit that includes an UCA and Fox's adjustable front and rear shocks. However, in the notes tab of that webpage (link below), it says that "20″ OEM wheels & tires and 18″ OEM wheels with larger tires than stock will not work with this suspension system."

So
    , am I correct in understanding that the stock 20" tire size of 275/55 will work with this kit setup?

https://camburg.com/shop/suspension...urg-toyota-tundra-07-fox-factory-2-5-dsc-kit/

I've read a lot of great information on different shock brands and components to the point of overload, but it's worth it to understand how everything works together. As of now, I do not plan to put 35" tires on the truck (since I'm not crazy rock crawling, just traveling everywhere) and haven't decided whether or not I'll need a heavier leaf spring kit. The leaf springs will be determined by whether I opt for a small off grid trailer or an over bed rack and rooftop tent.

Goal for the truck: Be a badass extended road tripper/overlander/go nearly anywhere truck with quality components that just might make my uncle's stock '16 TRD Pro shake in its wheels. Plus, this will serve as sort of a rolling memorial to my dad who always wanted to travel, but rarely gave himself the permission to take time off from work to do it.

Planned Upgrades: Morimoto LED Headlights & Tails (ordered), Tekonsha P3 electric trailer brake kit with ESP dash piece (ordered), Coachbuilder OEM steering kit (ordered), Coachbuilder +1" rear shackle (ordered), front & rear bumper replacement/upgrade (leaning towards the C4 Overland), skid plates for integral parts underneath, and going back to the factory 18" wheel with a 275/65 R18 to get to 33" tire/wheel combo when my current set of tires needs replaced.

Thank you in advance to all who answer, as well as have answered, questions on these forums. The wealth of knowledge here is fantastic and inspiring!

2. Nov 24, 2022 at 10:09 AM
    GravityGear

GravityGear Parking Lot Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black DC TSS Off Road 4x4 5.7
    Transfer Flow tank, Pinstripe Suit
    That would be good. The DSC is nice if you're going to use it. Many casual people that get DSC will adjust it a couple of times, then set it somewhere in the middle, then leave it. You wouldn't NEED the billet uniball arms, but they're definitely some bling.

Stock tire size will work, but it might look strange. I would consider getting taller tires when the time comes to replace or you've got some cash to spend. You can go 33 or 34ish and it'll be good. I believe the issue with the stock 20s and 18s will be the offset. You need to move it out to clear the humangous uniball Camburg uses. There's people here that will not run Camburg because of the non-standard uniball size. Again, this type of arm does NOT need the 1.5" uniball. That's trophy truck territory and your truck will never see that kind of abuse with bolt-on parts.

The bumper replacements may require you to swap out springs on the coilovers to carry the weight. Many will advise that you do bumpers and suspension at the same time to save on some labor/time, but I know that's an expensive proposition to drop 10k on it at once.

3. Nov 24, 2022 at 11:48 PM
    WanderingMuse00

WanderingMuse00 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Blue Ribbon Tundra SR5
    Morimoto XB LED headlights and tails, Tekonsha P3 electric trailer brake
    Thanks for the info @GravityGear. I didn't know about the Camburg UCAs using a different uniball size. I will definitely get taller tires on 18" wheels at some point, but the current BFG KO2s on the truck now have a lot of good tread left that I'd rather not waste if possible.

So maybe use the Fox 2.5s with a different UCA? Any suggestions that might work with the stock 20" wheel? Or should I just wait a tad longer and plan to replace the wheels and tires when I have it in the shop to do everything else with the suspension?

4. Nov 25, 2022 at 11:08 PM
    GravityGear

GravityGear Parking Lot Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black DC TSS Off Road 4x4 5.7
    Transfer Flow tank, Pinstripe Suit
    Any other uca with a ballpoint or standard 1” uniball will work. If you like camburg, they have a ball joint arm that should work. Others like Dirt king, total chaos and lsk among many others have uniball arms that would work.

Products Discussed in

To Top