1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharging the Right Way...

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by AZTundra, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Mar 4, 2020 at 4:09 PM
    AZTundra

AZTundra [OP] No Longer a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax Limited 5.7 FFV
    Magnuson Supercharger, TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down, SDHQ Sliders.
    I actually just got a call back while driving to my 2nd job. He said he spoke with Magnuson and they now believe that the issue is due to my tire size. I swapped the stock tires at the same time the Magnuson was installed to 295/70/18 Cooper AT3 XLT's. He said the larger tires is causing it to think there is a load on the engine which is impacting some of the tables. My rpm's are roughly 400 lower than factory according to him from the increased tire size while cruising at freeway speed.

I understand that I'd be lucky to have Magnuson step up and assist, but it sounds like that's the case. I know my installer has ordered a huge volume of superchargers through them and likely can pull some strings. I'm dropping my truck off Monday morning and Magnuson is having him do some data logs for them. It sounds like they are going to modify my tune to correct any issue. Can't ask for much more!

I may still look into OVTune down the road, but at least this may give me a safe tune in the interim.

Toyotoholic, Rica25 and MrMax[QUOTED] like this.
  2. Mar 4, 2020 at 4:25 PM
    4Runner

4Runner New Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Limited FFV
    Magnuson Supercharged, FOX 2.5 DSC front and rear, TRD Exhaust, TRD Rear Sway, and many more....build thread coming
    Tires? Please keep us posted.

snivilous, Rica25 and AZTundra[OP] like this.
  3. Mar 4, 2020 at 4:29 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Magnuson Supercharger, TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down, SDHQ Sliders.
    That's what they said...Maybe something else will be the culprit when they do the data logging for Magnuson.

Rica25 likes this.
  4. Mar 4, 2020 at 4:37 PM
    Midway

Midway New Member

Member:
    I have a higher end OBII scan tool that you can plug in and collect and save live data, and download to your computer. A lot of the cheaper ones these days are capable as well. I usually use it on my other cars, but has proven helpful.

AZTundra[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Mar 4, 2020 at 4:38 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Any issues so far with the Harrop?

Rica25 likes this.
  6. Mar 4, 2020 at 4:42 PM
    Midway

Midway New Member

Member:
    Harrop has been flawless. I'm definitely keeping an eye on the coolant levels and temps. Mat is getting me 93/91 map switching. Everything is great!

Screenshot_20200304-164142_Facebook.jpg

7. Mar 4, 2020 at 4:42 PM
    MrMax

MrMax Introvertigo Eximious Geargasm

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Eastern Iowa, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Crewmax S/C TRD Rock Warrior
    Sounds viable...especially if that 400rpm drop is now1600rpm(new) vs 2000rpm(original) that is a 20% change and may be significant enough to throw off the torque tables. The only thing I find odd is that guys with a stock tune have up-sized their tires without having the same effect. Of course maybe Magnuson's tables are a little more rigid(fixed)...IDK...I'm a numbers guy and a mechanical engineer and this modern software is well above my pay grade. Hope you get it sorted out and can actually enjoy the newfound power :)

8. Mar 4, 2020 at 4:48 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. He did say something about when the torque converter is kicking in also, but I'm no expert on tuning. I'm just glad I was listening for anything unusual over the past ~2 weeks now, that's almost 1K miles w/o any music on which was hard enough. As you noted, it could be something in their tune - I know they recently moved from BD to HP Tuners as well.

9. Mar 6, 2020 at 10:39 AM
    sundance

sundance New Member

Member:
    Just a question.....

I understand that the Harrop SC doesn't require custom tuning for their stage 1 build. That the factory tune can handle the increased flow.

Is this right?

AZTundra[OP] likes this.
  10. Mar 6, 2020 at 2:25 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    That's what I hear. @Midway

Crap, i didn't hit the quote button. @Midway see post 219.

11. Mar 6, 2020 at 3:46 PM
    Midway

Midway New Member

Member:
    @sundance

Yes, that is correct

. FYI: Harrop is still trying to determine why (3) Harrop units had coolant leak issues. I've been watching my temperature and fluid levels to make sure.

Screenshot_20200304-164142_Facebook.jpg

AZTundra[OP] likes this.
  12. Mar 8, 2020 at 2:55 PM
    Tundracollector

Tundracollector New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    16 Dc trd pro, 04 Dc, 08 rcsb
    Also I read somewhere that the stage 1 from Harrop is having trouble in cold climates, something the aussies didn’t experience because they don’t have that kind of weather.

13. Mar 9, 2020 at 10:58 AM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Dropped the truck off this morning for some data logging and Magnuson to make some adjustments. If everything goes well I'll be able to pick it up later today.

14. Mar 13, 2020 at 5:26 AM
    Puba

Puba Not New Anymore

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Blue Bell, PA
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2019 Crewmax LTD OffRoad
    RCI skid plates Curtis front hitch TracRac Ladder racks Truxedo Tonneau Cover BedRug bed liner Console Vault Tech 12volts complete audio system upgrade Bilstein 6112/5100 Coachbuilder Shackles Fuel Vector 18x9 Falkan Wildpeak 295/70/18 DirtyDeeds 8" Standard Husky XAct floor liners Color matched Bumper Shellz fronts Pop and Lock Tailgate SDHQ Hidden Winch Mount Smittybilt X20 Comp 12K RCI Rock Sliders Harrop SC - Stage 1
    Anybody who installed a Harrop Stage 1 run into issues with the high volume fuel pump fitting in the OEM housing? The mechanics who have my truck are at a standstill until resolved. I'm calling into Chris @ Harrop shortly, just wondering if this issue has a fix that one of you went thru already. Thanks.

15. Mar 13, 2020 at 7:46 AM
    Warreng

Warreng New Member

Member:
    Magnuson unit with toyota tune runs like a dream at -35c

16. Mar 13, 2020 at 7:58 AM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    300k Supercharged 2008
    Just curious if you got any resolution? Tires sound like bullshit to me. Almost everyone has the same size (~35") tires without any issue. Maybe their new tune is not conservative enough. Do you have an afr gauge and boost gauge installed yet?

17. Mar 13, 2020 at 8:40 AM
    Vector W8

Vector W8 Old guy with a lot of expensive habits.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Platinum Super White Crewmax 4X4
    FFV, TRD Supercharger, Bullydog FFV Tune, 2014 Fit Kit, TRD Dual Exhaust, Sequoia Front Sway Bar, TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Skid Plate, TRD Pro Grill, 040 White Mirror Covers, 040 White Door Handles, Ready Lift 3"/2", Anzo 3rd Brake Light, Winjet LED Tail Lights, LED Fog Lights, LED Rock Lights, Axle Vent Mod, SDHQ Hidden Winch Mount, 12,000lb Winch. Storm Trooper Shift Knob. BMF BATL Wheels.
    The factory stock FFV Injectors have about 30% higher flow rate than the Magnuson upgraded Injectors for the non FFV set up. There are no fuel injectors supplied with a Flex Fuel set up, you use the factory Flex Fuel stock injectors. You do have to trick the fuel pump in to high flow mode, there is a manifold pressure switch that handles that duty. MAKE SURE you are monitoring your air fuel ratio closely.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  18. Mar 13, 2020 at 8:43 AM
    Vector W8

Member:
    Vehicle:
    FFV, TRD Supercharger, Bullydog FFV Tune, 2014 Fit Kit, TRD Dual Exhaust, Sequoia Front Sway Bar, TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Skid Plate, TRD Pro Grill, 040 White Mirror Covers, 040 White Door Handles, Ready Lift 3"/2", Anzo 3rd Brake Light, Winjet LED Tail Lights, LED Fog Lights, LED Rock Lights, Axle Vent Mod, SDHQ Hidden Winch Mount, 12,000lb Winch. Storm Trooper Shift Knob. BMF BATL Wheels.
    For the FFV you trick the fuel pump in to HIGH flow mode with a manifold pressure sensor/switch. The FFV fuel pump is a 2 speed fuel pump with higher volume capability than the non FFV fuel pump. Using E85 requires a 30% increase in fuel flow capability over non E85 applications. If you do not have this switch in your FFV, you will lean out.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  19. Mar 13, 2020 at 8:58 AM
    Vector W8

Member:
    Vehicle:
    What are your A/F ratios under full throttle?

20. Mar 13, 2020 at 11:51 AM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    No gauges installed. I'm going to give them a call here shortly, still haven't heard back since Monday now.

21. Mar 13, 2020 at 12:22 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Just called the shop and was told Magnuson is working on the update for the tire size and they are sending the new file over shortly. Once that happens I just need to swing by the shop and have it downloaded to the truck. I'm going to have them install Camburg upper control arms too, so will have both done at the same time. He's going to shoot me a text once he has the file and then I can schedule a day for the new tune and arms to be installed. Magnuson still thinks it's the tire size and no logs are needed. Hopefully that will fix it.

I did notice this last tank of gas (about 300 miles) I got from QT it has only happened once. Possible bad gas the last 2 tanks? One tank was Chevron and the other Shell 91 octane. The Shell also had a full bottle of Torco in it.

22. Mar 15, 2020 at 11:40 AM
    4firemandan

4firemandan Superduper Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    SWFL
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4x4, 5.7
    TRD Supercharger, Ported SC inlet, RCF TB, 4.5” intake, WMI, 2.38 pulley, custom tune, DW660 inj, aeromotive fpr, msd boost-a-pump
    @Vector W8
    Hey, can you help me confirm some stuff about the FFV?

I was always told that the FFV injectors were 30% higher than the NON supercharged.. about 440cc, and the SC were about 480cc..
    You're saying the FFV are higher than the SC ones? I also read that the more recent Magi kits are now including the new Injectors for that reason.

Btw, I have both ffv and SC injectors.. Need to know which I want to use.

For the FFV fuel pump, what do I need to do to get that in high mode?
    I'm installing a SC on a new truck and my first FFV... Is there an additional fit kit part I need?
    (I downloaded the Magi FFV instructions and didn't see anything new there when comparing to my non ffv)

Tyvm if you can help point me in the right direction!

23. Mar 15, 2020 at 11:49 AM
    4Runner

4Runner New Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Limited FFV
    Magnuson Supercharged, FOX 2.5 DSC front and rear, TRD Exhaust, TRD Rear Sway, and many more....build thread coming
    I don’t buy the tire size either. I went SC with stock wheels and tires and then 2 or 3 months later when with the Ray10 and 295/70. Shifting was weird at first but after a days or two it seemed to figure it out. Keep us posted.

24. Mar 19, 2020 at 5:49 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Magnuson has updated the tune for the larger tire size and sent the file over. Dropping the truck off on Tuesday 3/24 for the modified tune to be downloaded. While the truck is there I'm also having a set of Camburg uniball upper control arms installed.
    [​IMG]

omgboost, 4firemandan and Midway like this.
  25. Mar 24, 2020 at 10:03 AM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Just dropped the truck off for the Camburg UCA install and the updated tune from Magnuson. Hoping this new tune will correct the issue.

Newbie_19 likes this.
  26. Mar 24, 2020 at 10:45 AM
    Puba

Puba Not New Anymore

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Blue Bell, PA
    Vehicle:
    RCI skid plates Curtis front hitch TracRac Ladder racks Truxedo Tonneau Cover BedRug bed liner Console Vault Tech 12volts complete audio system upgrade Bilstein 6112/5100 Coachbuilder Shackles Fuel Vector 18x9 Falkan Wildpeak 295/70/18 DirtyDeeds 8" Standard Husky XAct floor liners Color matched Bumper Shellz fronts Pop and Lock Tailgate SDHQ Hidden Winch Mount Smittybilt X20 Comp 12K RCI Rock Sliders Harrop SC - Stage 1
    Harrop Stage 1 installed last week. Pennsylvania on lock down. Would running my truck down the interstate at 95mph be considered essential travel? I could tell the cop I'm supporting the local gas stations?

There were a few issues per my mechanic, nothing insurmountable, but, nothing is as easy as it may seem.

IMG_7078.jpg
    IMG_7083.jpg

27. Mar 24, 2020 at 10:57 AM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    What's mounted on the airbox lid?

Newbie_19 likes this.
  28. Mar 24, 2020 at 11:03 AM
    DCGymRat303

DCGymRat303 Psalms 91

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Highlands Ranch Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra
    Magnuson Supercharger and new floor mats
    I was just gonna ask that

29. Mar 24, 2020 at 11:19 AM
    Puba

Puba Not New Anymore

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Blue Bell, PA
    Vehicle:
    Control box for Smittybilt X20. The X20 is mounted on an SDHQ hidden winch. I made longer wire extensions to get the box up under the hood, even though it can be operated wireless...I just thought better up and protected and accessible. Another "6 hour project" that took two days. lol.

AZTundra[OP], TXTundra2722 and Midway like this.
  30. Mar 24, 2020 at 11:49 AM
    TXTundra2722

TXTundra2722 Pipe Hitters Union

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra
    Those six hour projects get me everytime. I always assume it's going to take me a couple of hours longer than what I read. Glad to hear that im not the only one!
    :anonymous:

Products Discussed in

To Top