1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharging the Right Way...

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by AZTundra, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Jan 29, 2020 at 8:07 PM
    4Runner

4Runner New Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Limited FFV
    Magnuson Supercharged, FOX 2.5 DSC front and rear, TRD Exhaust, TRD Rear Sway, and many more....build thread coming
    strange that they have added injectors now for ffv. We didn’t have to change them on my install in April 2018. Wonder why. Also, have the HPT handheld in there as well.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    AZTundra[OP] likes this.
  2. Jan 29, 2020 at 9:04 PM
    AZTundra

AZTundra [OP] No Longer a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax Limited 5.7 FFV
    Magnuson Supercharger, TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down, SDHQ Sliders.
    I will have to bring this up to Toyota when I meet with them to discuss my install and see what they say. I'll see if I can find a revision date on the install manual.

3. Jan 29, 2020 at 9:23 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Magnuson Supercharger, TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down, SDHQ Sliders.
    Here is a different install manual than I originally looked over. It does appear that they made some changes to the install procedures for flex fuel vehicles. Wonder if they discovered some problems and made the revisions?... :confused:

Attached Files:

4. Jan 30, 2020 at 3:35 AM
    4Runner

4Runner New Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Limited FFV
    Magnuson Supercharged, FOX 2.5 DSC front and rear, TRD Exhaust, TRD Rear Sway, and many more....build thread coming
    Definitely follow the instructions from Magnuson...you could check with them to understand why the change.

AZTundra[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Jan 30, 2020 at 5:53 AM
    atomstundra

atomstundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    atom
    Vehicle:
    2019 Magnetic Gray Plantinum, Harrop Supercharged, ADD Stealth bumper, 4" lift, 35x13.50x20 Ridgegrappler
    Finally, I did a pull from the light and Harrop pushed all the passengers into their seats so hard that it scared everyone :rofl:
    It seems to be working fine without a tune. I plan to go to stage 2 after they make the tunes available for 2019 tundra.

6. Jan 30, 2020 at 7:41 AM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    If I can find a few minutes at work today I will try to call Magnuson and see what info they can provide. I'll be sure to post their comments.

sunnysideTRD likes this.
  7. Jan 30, 2020 at 10:32 AM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Just got off the phone with Magnuson sales and the guy I spoke with did confirm that the current version of the supercharger will have replacement injectors that get installed on Flex Fuel trucks. He said they made the switch "to be safe" I didn't really get more out of him than that. The also have new tuning software and Bully Dog is no longer used. He said they made the switch "a few months ago".

Wonder if people ran into issues with the supercharger and/or tuning which drove this change? I'm a little nervous now to be honest about purchasing. I know the shop I'm using claimed to have multiple superchargers in stock, so I will need to ensure they are the updated version with new injectors and tuning.

Anyone happen to have a contact that would be more forthcoming with information?

8. Jan 30, 2020 at 11:04 AM
    4Runner

4Runner New Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Limited FFV
    You will be fine and BD was a pain.....no help at all for me. Everything is good for us FFV and Magnuson with stock injectors so I’m guessing it is just overkill. Heck, my first OV Basie tune was dumping too much fuel and Mat made the adjustment. Don’t worry, you will be fine.

9. Jan 30, 2020 at 11:27 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    They may not have been seeing issues, they may have simply found something that was better/that they were happier and more comfortable with.

10. Jan 30, 2020 at 11:30 AM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Good to hear. Seems like they are using HPTuners according to the revised install manual I posted above. I will see what my contact at the installing dealership has to say. Hoping to go in and meet with him very soon and then get an appt scheduled for the install.

atomstundra likes this.
  11. Jan 30, 2020 at 2:13 PM
    4Runner

4Runner New Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Limited FFV
    For the initial install, go with exactly as documented and all will be good. You can stay with HPT or down the road move to OV. I wasn’t totally pleased with the Magnuson tune delivered via BD so you might be getting the same tune just delivered via HPT. Anyway, you can always take that on down the road. Good luck and keep us posted.

12. Jan 30, 2020 at 2:35 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Do you have any experience with HPT? Wondering if larger injectors are going in will mean that the tune is in fact a little different than Bully Dog or could it be the same tune with just different injectors? Would be nice to pump a little more power out if they increased the injector size and did a new tune with HPT, but that's probably wishful thinking.

13. Jan 30, 2020 at 2:44 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    On a side note I'll be ordering the Figs Engineering Coolant Reservoir tomorrow in preparation for the install. Website says they are made to order (allow 2 week build time) :(.
    https://www.shopfigs.com/v3/TANK-COOL-FAB-MAG

Midway likes this.
  14. Jan 30, 2020 at 2:49 PM
    4Runner

4Runner New Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Limited FFV
    I’m not expert for sure but my thought is the tuning delivery vehicle is irrelevant to the tune so should be the same tune. If you get into the smaller pulley and more boost, then maybe you need more fuel and that is where the injectors and or fuel pump could come into play. Again, this is way out of my league. I’m cool running sub 0-60 with mine Tundra with the lift, larger wheels, front and rear bumper on the way to work. Lol.

AZTundra[OP] likes this.
  15. Jan 30, 2020 at 6:39 PM
    BROGAN

BROGAN FNG

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    East TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro CM Inferno Fast
    Just ceck out build thread in sig
    Dont overthink it man. I just had mine done recently. Its hands down the best mod you can do. Obvioustly it looks like you put a lot of thought and research into where youre getting it done, which I think is the most important part of the whole thing, and youve done that. I got mine installed for $900 at a Toyota Dealership in a metroplex. They put them on once or twice a month. The lead in the shop does them himself, no young grunt turnover mechanics. I drove an hour and a half to get it done right. Could have taken it to a more rural Toyota Dealer 30min away, they thought it would take something like 20 shop hours and wanted $2000. I had read the manual and talked to Magnuson about install times etc. So I said thanks but no thanks and looked elsewhere for a place with experience doing the install, like youve done.

As for the Magnuson itself. Magnuson knows what they are doing when it comes to Superchargers. Just go with how they say to do it.

In regard to tune, it sounds like you got it figured. OV Tune seems like they are leading the charge in that department and have taken lead of the pack. From what I could tell, it just seemed like the HP Tune just told my ECU, hey your supercharged now so heres a few changes to accommodate that. I drove it like that for a couple weeks then I got my OV tune delivered and flashed. Lets just say the truck came alive and theres no going back. I came from the DAP tune for what its worth.

TL/DR: Dont sweat it so much. Supercharger is awsome. Do it. No regerts.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  16. Jan 30, 2020 at 7:04 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the reassurance. Sounds like my installer situation is very similar to yours.

I'm hoping to be at $8K installed, but we'll see how it goes when I reconnect with them for a firm quote. I used the price from Sparksparts with the 5% discount as leverage last time I spoke with them. I'd have to pay shipping if ordered from Sparks of about $200, but no sales tax. Buying from my dealer out here I'd have tax added on which is more than the shipping from Sparks. Sounded like they could work with me a little when I talked to them last year about the possibility of doing the supercharger. I still have a set of shims and +3 shackles from Coachbuilder sitting in my garage as well that maybe I can get installed as some package deal and also need some new tires along with my wifes Armada. I'd be open to doing the supercharger, install, shims/shackles and 2 sets of tires all from them if they can make it worthwhile.

Based upon reading the OV Tuning thread for several months I really want to get Matt to fine tune this beast when I'm done as well.

17. Jan 31, 2020 at 7:31 AM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Update: Figs Tank has been ordered!

Midway likes this.
  18. Jan 31, 2020 at 2:00 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Another update for today: Just spoke with my guy regarding the Magnuson and will be swinging by their shop next week to get things moving along! :D

407plattundra likes this.
  19. Feb 1, 2020 at 4:11 PM
    Midway

Midway New Member

Member:
    Beautiful truck! I really like your bumper setup

20. Feb 1, 2020 at 6:19 PM
    ZPMAN

ZPMAN 2nd place is the 1st looser

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Platinum Supercharged
    4" lift, 35s, Magnuson Supercharger
  21. Feb 7, 2020 at 11:16 AM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Just came back from the shop and they will be placing the order with Magnuson today. He should be receiving the blower in about 10 days, then we can decide on an install date! Hoping for an install before the end of this month.
    :burnrubber:

22. Feb 7, 2020 at 11:17 AM
    Midway

Midway New Member

Member:

Right on!

23. Feb 10, 2020 at 3:33 AM
    azTony

azTony member since sept, 2017 and over 1,600 messages

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Sun Lakes, AZ
    Vehicle:
    *** OV Tune Order #4481 *** ECU 0CN21 ***
    2018 Tundra Platinum with Icon Stage 9 w/3.0 and billet UCA, Harrop Elockers, 5.29 on 37’s
    Jeff will fix you up and you are gonna be happy... and me jelly :cool:

24. Feb 10, 2020 at 4:06 AM
    browntundra77

browntundra77 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devon
    DMV
    Vehicle:
    2017 SBM Tundra Platinum CM
    Loving this thread. Will vouch for HP tuners software as it is what I use on my racecar. Super user friendly, tuners like using it, and the price of credits is reasonable.

AZTundra[OP] likes this.
  25. Feb 10, 2020 at 6:02 AM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Can't wait for all this to finally come together. Also excited to finally get some stuff thrown on that has been sitting in my garage for months (+3 shackles, shims, dual catch can). Jeff is going to use his lower collar from his TRD Pro Lift Kit: https://westcottdesigns.net/product/fox-trd-pro-lift-kit/ in addition to my shims from coachbuilder to net an extra 1/2" and keep the level stance after the +3's are installed. I've got tires lined up and waiting at Discount once Jeff is finished with the magnuson/suspension. Decided on going with Cooper AT3 XLT's in 295/70/18, but will be using the factory rims for now.

I'm shooting for an install date the last week of this month. More to come...

Rustyscrew likes this.
  26. Feb 10, 2020 at 8:30 AM
    azTony

azTony member since sept, 2017 and over 1,600 messages

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Sun Lakes, AZ
    Vehicle:
    *** OV Tune Order #4481 *** ECU 0CN21 ***
    2018 Tundra Platinum with Icon Stage 9 w/3.0 and billet UCA, Harrop Elockers, 5.29 on 37’s
    Did you talk to Jeff about doing everything for you? He does the full Monty

27. Feb 10, 2020 at 10:09 AM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Yes. Originally I was just having him do the supercharger, but thought since it will be in his shop I'd have them knock out the suspension (shims, shackles) as well. Then decided to just have them throw on the dual catch can setup also. He's doing it all aside from the tires which I've already got on hold at Discount.

It's hard for me to find the time, so best to get everything tackled while there.

Midway and azTony[QUOTED] like this.
  28. Feb 12, 2020 at 1:05 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Just wanted to provide another update. Shop called and the supercharger has arrived! I'm looking to drop off the truck next Tuesday and pick it up before end of day Wednesday or possibly Thursday since they are doing some additional work. I'm going to see if they can take a few pics during the install process if they don't mind to post up here. Stay tuned...

29. Feb 13, 2020 at 7:41 AM
    Cosmoblu

Cosmoblu New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra CrewMax TRD Pro Inferno Red
    Magnuson Supercharger Fuel Rims--Removed TRD Pro Rims added ARE Overland CAP Front Runner rack on cap Front Runner rack on cab Bed Rug Bed Slide RCI Aluminum Skid front and transmission
    Okay, so first thanks for all of this info.

I am a new member and new Tundra owner. Myself and my dog were headed to South Dakota to do some pheasant hunting and totaled out my SUV. I had to purchase something to get myself and dog back home and happened on a 2015 TRD Pro Crewmax with the Magnuson SC. I knew nothing about either but knew Toyota through my Land Cruiser. So this SC is set up on the FFV, and as I said and will become obvious I know nearly nothing about these SC, mostly drove diesels with the exception of the LC.

So a couple of things that I did not know. I was not aware that premium fuel was required for SC, I have been running regular fuel through it since I got it in November, I have not run any E85 or anything of that nature which seems like an even larger mistake. I have put about 3000 miles on it since I picked it up, most of the those on my return trip, and currently sitting at 77K miles on it. It is not a daily driver for me. Based on this error is there anything that I need to be concerned about? or specifically do besides change the fuel I purchase.

Also I am curious about the Bully Dog. I have one of those GT Gas small monitors in the vehicle and it shows data etc but other than it graphing info is there something more to it?

I need to get under the hood and look to see if one of those Catch cans is present, have not noticed or really looked. The truck was set with a custom exhaust, the SC, the Bully Dog and everything seems to have been installed professionally.

The other question that I have are there some things that I should go ahead and plan on doing since I have 77,000 miles on it with a bit of an unknown history, related to the SC?

Again appreciate the info here, and yeah I have a lot to learn, so any help would certainly be much appreciated.

30. Feb 13, 2020 at 7:46 AM
    Ckatz53

Ckatz53 Newish

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement Tundra CM Limited 4x4
    www.fouroneodetailing.com
    About to pull the trigger on a TVS2650 for my 2020. How was the install? How long have you ran it and no issues so far? Nice truck.

Midway and AZTundra[OP] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top