1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharging the Right Way...

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by AZTundra, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Mar 26, 2020 at 9:36 AM
    AZTundra

AZTundra [OP] No Longer a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax Limited 5.7 FFV
    Magnuson Supercharger, TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down, SDHQ Sliders.
    Thanks, that's what I thought too. I just spoke with some sales rep over the phone when I was quoted that. I plan to go in person to chat with them before scheduling anything. I'll keep you posted.

snivilous[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Mar 26, 2020 at 12:26 PM
    4firemandan

4firemandan Superduper Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    SWFL
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4x4, 5.7
    TRD Supercharger, Ported SC inlet, RCF TB, 4.5” intake, WMI, 2.38 pulley, custom tune, DW660 inj, aeromotive fpr, msd boost-a-pump
    Yeah I agree that the price of that tune seems insanely high.

I have a buddy with a GT500 and he had a guy "live" remote tune it while it was on a dyno at a DIFFERENT shop and he didnt spend that much for his custom tune + dyno.

It might be worth calling and saying "listen i have HP tuners module and everything installed.. how much to have you scan it on the dyno and make the tuning changes.."

Seems you are somewhat in between a rock and a hard place if thats all you have for options.

HPTuners SHOULD give you the option of scanning it yourself. Have you looked into that?

That would be my first go-to. Get a laptop and hook that stuff up.. Scan mph, rpm, AFR, LTFT, STFT, knock, timing, and if possible boost.

Make a few WOT runs, a few of those that you posted.. see what looks off.

snivilous and AZTundra[OP] like this.
  3. Mar 26, 2020 at 12:50 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Magnuson Supercharger, TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down, SDHQ Sliders.
    I have not looked into that yet. The shop that installed the Mag downloaded the tune as well. I don't have a windows based laptop, so I'd need to purchase that as well which is pushing me to just having a tuning shop tackle it. According to the hptuners website it looks like the VCM module does have the ability to log data and make changes with their software. I was really considering an OVTune, but I'd also need to factor in the laptop cost. I may be best off going through Dyno Comp here and just have it tuned in house versus a remote tune. Cost may be very similar after factoring in the laptop purchase. In house would also be a quicker turnaround as opposed to logging and sending data back for revisions.

4. Mar 27, 2020 at 11:08 AM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    295k Supercharged 2008
    I'm all for OVTune, but that's no dyno tune. The benefit of OVTune is features that the HP Tuners (presumably) cant do like the gearlock and stuff. As far as the actual engine tune and performance is considered, HP Tuners on a dyno should blow anything else out of the water. IMO the best setup would be the gearlock and tune swapping features of the OVTune and actual tunes set by the HP Tuner and created on a dyno. But I digress, call the dyno place and see what it'll cost. There should be a lot of places in Phoenix with a dyno, maybe join a local drag racing facebook group or something since they'll for sure know where dynos are.

AZTundra[OP] likes this.
  5. Mar 27, 2020 at 11:30 AM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I'm sure there are many shops here doing dyno tunes. I was trying to find someone with experience on Tundra's and if possible FFV which seems harder to find. Are you saying that anyone with HPTuners experience should be able to work this?

6. Mar 27, 2020 at 11:36 AM
    4firemandan

4firemandan Superduper Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    SWFL
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4x4, 5.7
    TRD Supercharger, Ported SC inlet, RCF TB, 4.5” intake, WMI, 2.38 pulley, custom tune, DW660 inj, aeromotive fpr, msd boost-a-pump
    Ask around about experience with tuning Lexus too. They may not be "Tundra" experienced but if they have experience with Lexus RCF, LC500, 570, etc... then they will most likely be able to handle the Yota.

sensei, snivilous and AZTundra[OP] like this.
  7. Mar 27, 2020 at 1:53 PM
    sensei

sensei master and teacher of nothing

Member:
    trd boosted, trd bbk, fox stage 4, corsa, amp, jl/kenwood
    good point. op, if someone is telling you they've tuned a 2017+ rc f call bs. i have one and there is no tune for later model years. only 2015 - 2016.

8. Apr 12, 2020 at 2:41 PM
    DR132

DR132 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    ALASKA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra CM Platinum Blue Ribbon Metallic
    AWD Conversion, BAMuffler 8", Custom tuned with HPTuners, 2018+ LED Headlights, TRD front and rear sway bars
    Real tuning support for Tundra's is still pretty new so you're unlikely to find anyone who's very experienced with our trucks but that being said an experienced and competent tuner should be able to figure it out regardless and it's definitely worth it to have a proper tune done in person by someone who knows what they're doing. Mail order tunes and canned tunes that come with kits will always be inferior as they're a "one size fits most" type of thing. I haven't supercharged my Tundra yet so that's still unfamiliar territory for me but I've done a fair bit of Chevy tuning including both supercharged and turbocharged builds using HPTuners so I'm pretty comfortable with the software at an "enthusiast" level. Coming from the Chevy world there's been modest learning curve as I figure out how to tune my Tundra but I'm getting it sorted out and I am happy with the progress I've made with my truck so I would expect a competent professional tuner to have no problems getting you a safe, reliable and strong performing tune built. Since it looks like you already have the HPTuners MPVI2 I would recommend picking up a cheap windows based tablet and download the HPTuners software yourself so you can at least datalog and familiarize yourself with what's going on with your truck even if you have no intentions of learning how to tune it yourself. Being able to datalog will be absolutely crucial to whoever does end up tuning your truck, especially when it comes to smoothing out the problems you might see in real world driving situations that are impossible to simulate on a dyno. For what it's worth the low RPM, moderate load area you're experience pinging at is an extremely common problem area in every vehicle I've messed with regardless of make/model, even stock vehicles with OEM tunes.

9. Apr 12, 2020 at 6:00 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info. If this is an extremely common problem I'm assuming it's something that can be corrected with a proper tune?

I still havent had any success in getting my tune corrected from Magnuson, so will be likely taking the dyno tune approach from Dyno Comp as soon as this whole coronavirus crap is over.

Jolla_At_Ya_Boy likes this.
  10. Apr 12, 2020 at 11:35 PM
    DR132

DR132 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    ALASKA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra CM Platinum Blue Ribbon Metallic
    AWD Conversion, BAMuffler 8", Custom tuned with HPTuners, 2018+ LED Headlights, TRD front and rear sway bars
    Yes definitely fixable. It may take a couple iterations to get it right without data logging on the street but either way they should be able to get it sorted out. Like I said that low RPM while under load area is a common problem zone where a lot of vehicles, even stock, will knock so a good tuning shop should have plenty of tricks for smoothing that out.

AZTundra[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  11. May 15, 2020 at 10:31 AM
    Colorado Calvary

Colorado Calvary Cavalry blue Tundra

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    @Puba @Midway , and everyone that has the harrop supercharger on a stock tune , do you have any exhaust or Muffler work done also?

I have 2019 TRD Sport and don't want to wait any longer for the Magnuson tune to become available. I currently have Flowmaster Super 50 Muffler, and am waiting on the 10-inch budget system from Dirty Deeds / BAMuffler.

Harrop said the stock tune can not be used if you have exhaust work done, but was wondering if the BAMuffler would affect that or not?

Are you still running with the stock tune? Any issues? Still happy with the investment?

Thanks!

12. May 15, 2020 at 11:06 AM
    Puba

Puba Not New Anymore

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Blue Bell, PA
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2019 Crewmax LTD OffRoad
    RCI skid plates Curtis front hitch TracRac Ladder racks Truxedo Tonneau Cover BedRug bed liner Console Vault Tech 12volts complete audio system upgrade Bilstein 6112/5100 Coachbuilder Shackles Fuel Vector 18x9 Falkan Wildpeak 295/70/18 DirtyDeeds 8" Standard Husky XAct floor liners Color matched Bumper Shellz fronts Pop and Lock Tailgate SDHQ Hidden Winch Mount Smittybilt X20 Comp 12K RCI Rock Sliders Harrop SC - Stage 1
    I installed the 8" BAMuffler before I put the Harrop in. No issues whatsoever with the two. As far as "happiness" quotient, yes, very. It took my mechanic 3 days and cost a pretty penny but the cost was the same as anyone else in my part of the world had quoted. They ran into a number of issues....hose or two not lining up, take fan off, continue with instructions, put fan on,,,take fan off again to move along yada yada. No one around here ever installed one of these Harrops before. The speed shops were all north of 2k anyway. The biggest problem was the Harrop high flow fuel pump. It did not fit in the OEM housing. Harrop sent another, same issue. Solved finally with a bit of Dremel work per mechanic . Interestingly enough, I got a recall notice from Toyota on the OEM fuel pump in the meantime.....hmmmm. No worries now.

The Harrop stage 1 is like driving around with the tow haul button on all the time.....you could save a lot of $$ and do that instead but I make no guarantee on longevity under that idea. The truck has spunk now, cruise at 90 without even realizing you are 20mph over the speed limit....serious. When I punched the truck to that kind of speed before the SC, I just felt a little unsafe....maybe it's just me.

I have all the parts to go to stage 2 if and when a tune is developed but I'm thinking I'm good as is. Mechanic told me it's pretty labor intensive to go all the way. Stage 1 with no tune suits me just fine for now. I think it's what the truck should be in the first place.

As far as towing, I pulled 4,000 lbs of boat and tandem trailer home this week on the PA turnpike and it was like nothing was behind me when I punched it. Mileage didn't change much, it's within range of what it was prior if not just a little bit better. Nothing to write home about. I have a lot of new shit on the truck that barely resembles stock off the lot including additional weight up front, RCI skid plates, RCI sliders, Shiitybilt winch on a hidden winch mount....etc. etc. so my wet dream of ever getting 15mpg is just that,,,a dream. 93 Octane is very reasonably priced for the foreseeable future, if only our fine Governor would let us all out from underneath his boots, I could enjoy it more.

Toyotoholic likes this.
  13. May 15, 2020 at 11:07 AM
    Midway

Midway New Member

Member:
    I'm my case, I just had the TRD exaust on my truck when the Harrop was installed. I ran the stock tune for Two weeks, which was impressive and had no issues. After that, I uploaded a Orange Virus tune, so I could have more flexibility with mods (smaller pulley, headers).

The fun factor is absolutely there, almost too fun.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  14. May 15, 2020 at 11:45 AM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Meanwhile...I'm still just waiting here to go get my dyno tune for the Magnuson. Once my office opens back up at work I will get something scheduled. Until then I just try to avoid any pinging... i still plan to use DynoComp for the tune.

Midway likes this.
  15. May 15, 2020 at 12:58 PM
    Colorado Calvary

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    Thanks guys!

@ Puba @Midway Thanks for the info, Im glad that I can use it with the BAMuffler. I was reading the info Harrop sent me, and somewhere it mentioned doing something to the OEM fuel pump to increase flow instead of replacing it. Did they mention that to you at all? I only have 91 octane most places here in CO, so hopefully that is ok.

I was hoping that the Stage 1 would feel a lot stronger than Tow/Haul mode. I have a Pedal Commander now that acts similar to Tow/Haul but without the high shift points, definitely still leaves me desiring more. The Stage 1 looks to have similar HP / TQ as the Magnuson, so I would think it would be enough for me.

Can you hear the SC from the cabin? We have the 3.5L EcoBoost for a work truck and I can hear the turbo's starting at 2,000 RPM, I love the sound. I was hoping to get at least the same out of the Harrop (in addition to the power of course!!)

If the tune were ready, I would probably have bought the Magnuson due to the 3yr/36K powertrain warranty, even though it probably isn't necessary it would give a little extra peace of mind, my 19 only has 6K on it right now. I also know dealers / shops have a lot more experience with the Magnuson. I need to find somewhere in Colorado that is confident to the the Harrop install.

Do you guys have a list of the issues they ran into during install so I can send it to my mechanic ahead of time? I remember reading somewhere that someone who was doing the install themselves added a bunch of stuff to the manual, but I can't remember who. Anything I can do to help the process go smooth!

16. May 15, 2020 at 1:16 PM
    Midway

Midway New Member

Member:
    I had a race engine build shop install mine in 1 day, they said it was easier than a Magi.

I've put about 2,500 miles on the Harrop, runs great. Yes, you can definitely hear the SC as it picks up boost. 91 octane shouldn't be an issue for you, since I'm guessing you're at a higher elevation.

My fuel pump went in with no issues.

In my opinion, since I have one, the Harrop is overkill unless you move up to Stage 2, or beyond. There's hardly any difference compared to Magnuson when it's running the stock 85mm pulley and stock tune.

I've really enjoyed the Harrop

Screenshot_20200312-112744_Instagram.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    ryanwgregg likes this.
  17. May 15, 2020 at 2:26 PM
    Puba

Puba Not New Anymore

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Blue Bell, PA
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2019 Crewmax LTD OffRoad
    RCI skid plates Curtis front hitch TracRac Ladder racks Truxedo Tonneau Cover BedRug bed liner Console Vault Tech 12volts complete audio system upgrade Bilstein 6112/5100 Coachbuilder Shackles Fuel Vector 18x9 Falkan Wildpeak 295/70/18 DirtyDeeds 8" Standard Husky XAct floor liners Color matched Bumper Shellz fronts Pop and Lock Tailgate SDHQ Hidden Winch Mount Smittybilt X20 Comp 12K RCI Rock Sliders Harrop SC - Stage 1
    I'll add (and I'm no mechanic) I recall in research that flex fuel doesn't need a high flow fuel pump. Don't quote me on that. My truck is non flex fuel so the fuel pump had to be switched out. As far as 91 versus 93, Chris @ Harrop pretty much told me 93 but he and I live at the same height above sea level. (flat landers). Chris has been very helpful throughout and always returned calls promptly if I didn't get him right away. Harrop US is based in Ohio so, take time zone into account. I don't have a list of the issues but nothing was insurmountable. The fuel pump was a bitch because we found out on Friday, lost the weekend and then a couple days to get another one shipped in....and it didn't matter in the long run. I had one of the first 3.5 Ecoboosts (2011) and it ran great until the timing chain nightmare and then a series of electrical problems that screwed me up for three months.....and two things happened.....I found this forum.....the rest is history, and so is my credit.

18. May 15, 2020 at 2:54 PM
    Colorado Calvary

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    Haha. The Tundra is great, but Ill be much happier with the SC.

I am a non-flex fuel as well, but maybe I got the information mixed up.

I will call Chris and make sure I have an experienced shop to do the install.

19. May 15, 2020 at 8:01 PM
    Colorado Calvary

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    Decided to go with the harrop 2650 stage 1. Super excited!

I found a shop about 4 hours away from me that installed one on a 2019 Tundra last month and sounds very knowledgeable about the install.

It'll probably be several weeks , but I'll post an update once it's installed. Thanks for the advise!

AZTundra[OP] and Midway like this.
  20. May 16, 2020 at 4:50 AM
    MrMax

MrMax Introvertigo Eximious Geargasm

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Eastern Iowa, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Crewmax S/C TRD Rock Warrior
    I cannot speak for the Harrop, But the Magnuson in stock form starts to whine and can be heard in the cab starting around 2500rpm's.

AZTundra[OP] likes this.
  21. May 16, 2020 at 6:58 AM
    Colorado Calvary

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    Perfect. Love the sound!

22. May 16, 2020 at 10:57 AM
    Colorado Calvary

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
  23. May 17, 2020 at 4:29 AM
    Tundracollector

Tundracollector New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    16 Dc trd pro, 04 Dc, 08 rcsb
    Whipple is now available for the tundra.

Saltyhero13 and Wynnded like this.
  24. Jul 3, 2020 at 7:19 PM
    bigheadjack

bigheadjack New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC SR5 5.7 FFV 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s BAMuffler Standard 10” BD Platinum GT AFE Pro Dry S Method 705 18" Toyo AT3 LT295/70R18
    I was hoping that we’d see some SC sales this holiday weekend...no joy thus far.

basically $7k for the Magnuson; $8k for the Harrop. a few shops sell the Magnuson with no tune for $6500. you can get the non-FFV Magnuson for as low as $6300 or so on eBay, but that’s not an option for me. Similarly, you can find the head unit by itself for around $3k, but I haven’t seen anyone that still sells the fit kit separately.

anyone else aware of any deals?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    AZTundra[OP] likes this.
  25. Jul 3, 2020 at 9:07 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I haven't seen any 4th of July sales. Sparksparts.com is $6,645.25 if using tundras.com discount code for the magnuson. Maybe Labor day will generate some sales.

26. Aug 7, 2020 at 9:51 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Did you ever get your custom tune?

tbrown[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Sep 14, 2020 at 6:52 AM
    66Fastback

66Fastback New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Vehicle:
    2013 Plat Tundra
    Magnason Supercharger
    Hi there, I know this is an older thread but was the final resolution?
    I had a reputable shop here in Colorado install a Magnason on my ffv 13 tundra and basically grenaded the motor as I was leaving the shop.

AZTundra[OP] and tbrown like this.
  28. Sep 14, 2020 at 7:04 AM
    Uhhhh....

Uhhhh.... New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Limited DC
    7” BDS, 37s
    Yikes

29. Sep 14, 2020 at 7:05 AM
    tbrown

tbrown 2017 CM FFV

Member:
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Blazing Blue
    Magnuson Supercharger Kooks long tube headers King 3.0 remote reservoir w/ clockers front King 3.0 triple bypass remote reservoir rear Deaver Custom leaf Method 312 Corsa Exhaust w/ custom stainless bro’s resonator tip Custom HP tune Viair 400c Dual Onboard Headlight Revolution Stealth Bar Baja design XL 80 ditch lights on SDHQ Ditch brackets Victory 4x4 sliders and bed Molle RCI Skids C4 fabrication overland front bumper Smittybilt x2o 12k winch Toyo Open Country RT 37’s Icon Billet Delta UCA’s Nitro 5.29’s ARB Air locker front and rear Switch Pros Leitner Designs Bed Rack ICS Fab Dash Mount Expedition One Dual Swing Rear Bumper Viper remote start Rosen in headrest DVD players
    Sorry I never saw these asking about my tube. Maggi charger on a 2017 ffv, no issues and I give it hell. Hp tuners on dyno for a custom tune. He has never done a tundra before and called me about 3 min into tuning to say he things injectors are maxing and magnuson is wrong saying they are enough. We pulled a little power to keep from running lean and all is well. Plan to upgrade fuel system soon so we can crank it up, but I’m just gonna build bottom soon too so we don’t blow it up. Sorry hear about your engine. Hopefully they are a magnuson shop and the warranty will cover

AZTundra[OP] likes this.
  30. Sep 14, 2020 at 7:35 AM
    66Fastback

66Fastback New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Vehicle:
    2013 Plat Tundra
    Magnason Supercharger
    Thanks I'm really stressed about all this. They are a Mag dealer and a great shop, they do 2000 hp custom stuff all the time so this should be a no brainer. I had the Toyota dealer install a new short block after removing the supercharger. Put the supercharger back on as I was told that maybe the original block had a weak spot in it to only have it happen again! Argghhhhh. So pull the motor again and sent it to a machine shop, and having heavy duty pistons and connecting rods installed. Not sure I would supercharge again. 66K miles on the my truck and not one issue until I supercharged it. Now I've been without it for almost 4 months.

AZTundra[OP], tbrown and T-Rex266 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top