1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suggestions on platinum tundra in AL

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Taco2tundra12, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Aug 22, 2018 at 12:12 AM
    Taco2tundra12

Taco2tundra12 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    2018 super white platinum tundra 4x4
    hey everyone,long time observer first time poster here from auburn, AL area. I currently have a slight situation on my hands and would appreciate some feedback from anyone willing to give some.

Currently I drive a 2013 Tacoma trd off road 4 door 4x4 that has roughly 65k miles on it. I purchased this vehicle new mainly because I knew the resale would be pretty good (my first truck was a 99 Tacoma with 113k for 10k $sold it 120k miles later for 5.5k)and up until recently had no intention on getting rid of this vehicle mainly because it is paid off.

My wife and I have a new 5 month old son at the house and honestly his car seat hits my seat so I can’t drive in my normal position. I was recently offered 23k for my truck which got my wheels spinning about purchasing a tundra so my search began. I spent two weeks emailing dealerships and have finally had a few competing with each other.

My question is I have an offer Out the door price at 49.5k for a 2018 platinum 4wd. This includes predator step bars paint protection etc... they have come off the MSRP roughly 6-7 k. Is this a good price? Should I jump on this deal?

Again I don’t have to get rid of my taco but have been wanting a larger upgrade for space and towing. I also would like to ask if I do sell the taco I’ll essentially have 23k$ at my disposal. I am not a“you got it spend it” kinda guy so that’s not an option. My question is financially is it wiser to pay off my wife’s car (13k/rav4) and out the other 10k$ down on the tundra or just put 5k$ down and pocket 5k in savings. Pay all towards tundra? Dealership says they do free maintenance for 4 years and send tailgate stamp in the deal as well. The finance manager says they are 1,111 negative on this deal at the moment but are able to do so because of Toyota’s 2,000$ incentives closeouts currently happening. Any advice is appreciated. Again I’m definitely more of a financial planner for my age so I don’t get the whole money is burning in my pocket concept as I enjoy saving. Any help/advice would be beneficial keep the taco with no payment? Or upgrade this is a good deal?
    thank y’all

Blake

2. Aug 22, 2018 at 2:15 AM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    Hi, Blake; welcome from SoCal!

I understand there can be a bit of difference depending on what part of the country you are in, but I think that's not a great deal and they're not 1,111 negative on this deal. As for financing vs. putting some cash into savings, that depends on what financing rate you get. High-volume dealerships can often give you a lower rate than your credit union, but otherwise I'd go with the credit union every time to avoid the dealership putting hidden charges into the price.

Since it sounds like you are not rushing to do this tomorrow, and you're all about maintaining your long-term goals, I'll tell you what I suggest regularly: go online and buy the fighting chance reports for about $50. Get reports for a 2018 Tundra 4x4 and it will break out what a dealer pays Toyota for every trim and package option (at which point I think you'll realize the dealer will make money charging you less for that truck you want.) I've posted all the ways dealers make money from Toyota as well as from retail buyers, elsewhete on this forum, if you want to search. Seriously, you don't have to worry about shorting the dealership. Being informed about what they pay will help you bargain.

I know this website looks hoakie, but the cost reports are legit:

http://www.fightingchance.com/

3. Aug 22, 2018 at 4:29 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Welcome!

If it were me, I would (as you listed as an option) pay the Rav off as its one less debt item.
    The 10k would probably be in my savings as a cushion should something occur.

The dealership isn’t “negative” any amount of money here. Why would they sell you this while they lose money?

Black Wolf and Sunnier like this.
  4. Aug 22, 2018 at 4:31 AM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4
    @Taco2tundra12 I'm somewhat in the minority here, I don't buy new vehicles, never have, never will. So my recommendation is to shop around for a couple year older 3rd Gen. Find a 3rd gen CM with around 50k on it for somewhere around $32k. Let someone else eat the initial depreciation, "drive it off the lot, lose 10%" applies to all new vehicles. But, after that initial hit Toyota's really are the king at holding their value.

If you're dead set on buying new, then I would still shop for a better deal. There are a lot of reasons to buy new, known maintenance of vehicle, long warranty period, the smell.....

Black Wolf, Sunnier and Trooper2 like this.
  5. Aug 22, 2018 at 4:34 AM
    Taco2tundra12

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    I appreciate everyone’s feedback so fast on this. I realize a dealership is not going to lose money and is quick to “blow smoke” up anyone’s rear however doing research I assumed that 49k out the door may of been almost a steal seeing as how most threads on here show people paying 50k plus taxes tag etc. just so there wasn’t confusion 49.5 has all that included so I believe the actual sale price on the tundra is around 45-46k before my tax tag etc. thank you again all for the informative responses.

6. Aug 22, 2018 at 4:45 AM
    Larmand

Larmand SSEM #6

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 SLIGHTLY MODIFIED SR5 TRD CM 4x4-CEMENT
    Welcome to the party!!

7. Aug 22, 2018 at 5:33 AM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    I will have to agree with this. Unless you are blessed with a really nice income or unlimited funds, a few year old Tundra is a smart way to go.

As for debt, pay off the smaller loans for sure.

Good Luck!

OBXTundra[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Aug 22, 2018 at 5:35 AM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

TXRailRoadBandit73 YOTAS,RAILROADER,RÖKnRÖLLN',BEER,MAX/GEMMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    Welcome from Texas

9. Aug 22, 2018 at 5:39 AM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Welcome from NY.

10. Aug 22, 2018 at 12:46 PM
    xodeuce

xodeuce New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    I found a used ‘18 1794 CM with 10k on the clock for $44k. Shop around for a low miles used one and buy when you find what you want if you don’t have to do it right now. Hasty decisions are rarely the best, in my experience. I’ve been looking at full size trucks since November of last year, and when I found that truck on Monday it was just the right thing at the right time. My $0.02 having been through 5 vehicles in 9 years.

Black Wolf and jewsNbrews like this.
  11. Aug 22, 2018 at 2:20 PM
    HighDesertSurfer

HighDesertSurfer Surf The Dirt

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 SuperWhite DC TRD OR
    Leer shell
    Howdy from NM! :hattip:
    Your boy will enjoy growing up riding in a Tundra as much as you!
    45-46k sounds pretty good for a Platinum.

12. Aug 22, 2018 at 2:55 PM
    Ryooo

Ryooo New Member

Member:
    Boynton Beach FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 CM SC Platinum
    TRD Supercharger 4.5 BDS lift 20” Method Standards sitting on 35 Nitto Grapplers Rigid grill top and bottom with lights AMP running boards Fender flares Magnum rear bumper Rear LED bar Air bags with onboard compressor Brake controller Alpine Navi Alpine amps x 2 Focal Separates front and rear 2 x JL 13s in a stealth box behind the back seat LTE cellular booster Rear seat under locked storage Dynamat from ceiling to floor LEDs all over Bed liner Bed rails Paint protector covering nearly the entire front end and more
    If it were me, and it was 3 months ago, I’d find a used one and not lose $5k driving it off the lot, you’ll either save a ton on something stock, or get something with solid mods already. I paid the same as what your looking at now, and have a ton more truck than what comes new; I still have a warranty and plenty of life left on this beast.

13. Aug 22, 2018 at 3:52 PM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    Welcome from CT

Personally, I don't want anyone driving my truck but me. The first 5-10k miles are the most important "break in" miles... Do you really want some douche who has no intention of keeping the truck, driving it like they stole it to "break in" your truck. No thanks. If a used truck has 5k miles... why? I'm sure they fall into the above douche category. Have everything written up to the penny, and signed by them. $49.5 otd is a great price for a NEW Platinum. this means you get to decide the entire life of the truck, and not hope you get one that wasn't abused. I own long-term (10-15yrs) so new is the only way to go for me. You'll get better financing on the new truck vs used and if you trade in you get the tax deduction too. You don't lose any money driving it off the lot if you you keep it. I traded in my 06' with 150k and still got 15k for it... I took care of it from day one, and the service records showed that... I made my "drive off the lot depreciation" back right then... It all depends on YOU.

14. Aug 22, 2018 at 3:57 PM
    DJFaninTN

DJFaninTN New Member

Member:
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2018 Super White 1794

4x4 or 4x2?

15. Aug 22, 2018 at 4:01 PM
    xodeuce

xodeuce New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    4x4

16. Aug 22, 2018 at 4:04 PM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Welcome from CO.

17. Aug 22, 2018 at 5:09 PM
    DJFaninTN

DJFaninTN New Member

Member:
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2018 Super White 1794

I'd keep working on them. it's good but there is always room for negotiation. every $ you whittle away is money in your pocket.

18. Aug 22, 2018 at 5:28 PM
    RoscoePico

RoscoePico New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra 4WD CrewMax
    Good price for an ‘18 4WD Platinum, IMO. If $23k is all your cash, definitely hang on to some!! If on the other hand it’s “play money”, look at the rate you get vs what you can earn investing it. We prefer to pay cash for cars but the with the wife’s car the rate in was so low it made more sense to finance it.

Either way, if you can do it responsibly, get the little guy a Tundra. He deserves it!

19. Aug 22, 2018 at 5:30 PM
    Glock17

Glock17 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Helena, Al.
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD PRO
    Fab Four bumpers, Warn Zeon 10, Line X, Toytec lift, Rugged Tri fold cover, Cooper SST, Weathertech liners, Weathertech vent guards
    Buy it! You only live once!

20. Aug 22, 2018 at 5:34 PM
    Blueknights75

Blueknights75 040 IS THE FASTEST

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Clayton, NC
    Vehicle:
    18’ TRD CM leveled with 295/70 Ridge Grapplers
    I agree with people advising that they would never buy a new vehicle because of depreciation. However.....in looking at used Tundras that were a few years old I was able to buy a new Tundra cheaper than buying some of the used ones I looked at due to finance rates along with warranty and factoring in maintenance costs (new Toyota I purchased came with free lifetime oil changes and lifetime power train warranty.)

If buying any other car brand I would say buying new is rediculous. However a Toyota is different in my opinion. Thus the reason I bought new. I would also say if you can get 6-7K off of a Toyota MSRP than you are getting a good deal.

Sunnier likes this.
  21. Aug 22, 2018 at 6:02 PM
    Ryooo

Ryooo New Member

Member:
    Boynton Beach FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 CM SC Platinum
    TRD Supercharger 4.5 BDS lift 20” Method Standards sitting on 35 Nitto Grapplers Rigid grill top and bottom with lights AMP running boards Fender flares Magnum rear bumper Rear LED bar Air bags with onboard compressor Brake controller Alpine Navi Alpine amps x 2 Focal Separates front and rear 2 x JL 13s in a stealth box behind the back seat LTE cellular booster Rear seat under locked storage Dynamat from ceiling to floor LEDs all over Bed liner Bed rails Paint protector covering nearly the entire front end and more
    The significance of the timing of your message and substance made it seem appropriate for me to reply. I bought my truck from someone even a level up from your dedication to care. I agree you don’t want to buy from a douche bag, who would? My 2014 has 24k miles and was kept in a heated garage it’s entire life by the director of a Fortune 500 company; I have dozens upon dozens of records and receipts as well as an extended warranty and maintenance package not to mention every oem part he removed. I got a $90k+ truck for half the price. I definitely wouldn’t swoop a new one over what I bought. Did you read about dude in here with 1k miles and an incurable squeaky bed? No thanks to that, I’d rather know the truck works proper. But, to each there own.

Toyotoholic[QUOTED] and Sunnier like this.
  22. Aug 22, 2018 at 6:36 PM
    Prostar 190

Prostar 190 SSEM #9 I would rather be water skiing

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    OH
    Vehicle:
    2010 CrewMax limited 4X4
    6" lift 35" Toyo M/T
    Welcome from Ohio!

23. Aug 22, 2018 at 7:22 PM
    tenntundra

tenntundra 2013 SR5 crewmax Barcelona red

Member:
    First Name:
    Walter
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2013 barcelona red sr5 crewmax TRD tundra
    3" suspension lift, BMF 20" wheels 305/55/20 nitto ridge grappler tires,painted RED bushwhacker fender flares,fold up tonneu cover,100 watt led fog lights,led interior lights,borla dual exhaust,tinted windows,window vent visors, Toyota hood protector,toyota step bars,spyder carbon fiber floor mats,k&n air filter,painted brake calipers red, installed red lug nuts on wheels remote start.
    Welcome from Tennessee I agree with OBXtundra.Let someone else loose money on a new truck.There are all kinds of nice slightly used tundras out the there with alot of accessories with good prices! I bought my last new truck in 2000 when I bought my 2000 limited access cab TRD

24. Aug 23, 2018 at 6:08 AM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    Nice!
    There are rare finds out there... And you are smart to take advantage of that type of purchase. Now it's up to you to continue that care and you'll enjoy an awesome truck for a very long time.

Ryooo[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Aug 23, 2018 at 6:15 AM
    Taco2tundra12

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for all of the helpful insight. I too am the type when I purchase a new vehicle I plan to keep it long term. Selling the taco was just kinda thrown in my lap so I started shopping. This tundra will be a long term vehicle. The next question is what to do with the 23k. I’m also curious as to when Toyota will make remote key start and folding side mirrors standard on the limited models. In my opinion sales on limited s would increase from just these two options. Part of me wants to wait until the redesigned tundra but I know the price will be a lot more than 50k. Thank you all again for the info.

26. Aug 23, 2018 at 10:39 AM
    Taco2tundra12

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    This is my current written offer:
    Ok here's the deal.

MSRP - 54,141.00
    INVOICE - 50,874.43
    YOUR PRICE - 46,991.04
    That's over 7100 off! Insane
    TAX - 1603.96
    Title/Doc/Tag/Dlv - 905.00

Out the door including everything - 49500

Opinions????

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  27. Aug 24, 2018 at 7:23 AM
    Sas

Sas Humor is everywhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    '17 SR5 CM TSS 4WD MGM 5.7 FF
    Lost track after #1.
    Welcome from OK

28. Aug 24, 2018 at 7:35 AM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    $90k+ Tundra? "Extra Platinum"?

You paid $45K ish for a 2014 Tundra?

29. Aug 24, 2018 at 7:52 AM
    Ryooo

Ryooo New Member

Member:
    Boynton Beach FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 CM SC Platinum
    It has $45k+ of mods, yes, Extra Platinum sounds about right. ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top