1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stupid speaker wiring question (00 AC w/amp)

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by ThatYeti, Sep 7, 2022.

1. Sep 16, 2022 at 2:40 PM
    ThatYeti

ThatYeti [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra SR5
    Ok so another update. Wired up the passenger side set, and they both work! Hooray...but as I had to wait a few days for Amazon to bring more spade connectors...I forgot where I put the bolts and screws that hold on the door panel as I also did a brake job in the meantime on the misses' car that didn't exactly go well (shocking I know) and now dealing with two frozen calipers on that...

But I remembered I'd put the bolts/screws back in the door so I wouldn't lose them... project for tomorrow...

So I'll have to bring it in to have someone smarter than me figure out where the fault is on the driver's door but given my luck I may just have them do the backup camera at the same time.

shifty` likes this.
  2. Sep 18, 2022 at 9:20 AM
    shifty`

shifty` Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited 4WD + LSD & TOW PKG
    I dunno why, but I have a sneaky suspicion it's either a problem inside the door harness itself, or where the door harness attaches to the body harness behind kick panel.

Probably beating a dead horse by mentioning it, but ... :D

I suspect it's a short. And that short could potentially be what caused the other speakers to blow.

But really, they only way to tell would be to get that driver kick panel off and test between harness segments.

Sucks bro, wish you were closer by, I'd totally drive over and help you figure it out. :(

3. Sep 18, 2022 at 9:31 AM
    ThatYeti

ThatYeti [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra SR5
    I'm sure you're right and the more I think about it the more it makes sense. The interior door handle on that side is kind of destroyed, to the point it's just got holes in it that they drilled drywalling screws thru to hold it to the door. Along with that the window was really wonky when I got it and would jump itself off the track when rolling up unless you held it. Got that fixed a while ago so I forgot about it. Would guess e everything in that door has gotten water more than once so that combined with the plow wiring being a likely culprit I'm sure what's behind those panels could tell a story for sure. Should be picking up some spare door panels etcetera later and we'll see about negotiating to grab those panels too and the screws so I won't feel bad when they get broken if I decide to dive into it myself.

4. Sep 18, 2022 at 9:40 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if they ran a screw thru a harness based on what you're saying. That would totally explain everything. Run a screw through the harness, shorting the door speaker wiring, and potentially blowing out the other speakers. Easy fix, if you could get the kick panel off, would be run a new speaker wire into the door, and just splice off the pink and purple wire on the kick panel side of the door harness (i.e. don't cut the body harness). Proper fix would be to replace the door harness, which isn't nearly as bad as it sounds.

You see anywhere else they haphazardly screwed through shit?

5. Sep 18, 2022 at 12:18 PM
    ThatYeti

ThatYeti [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra SR5
    Nothing obvious..to me anyway...but this is how the door grab handle is attached and there's a bunch of foam/more screws inside

PXL_20220918_183923824.jpg

6. Sep 18, 2022 at 1:53 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    Nah, that would put them roundabout where these yellow stars are, I'm not even seeing an impact on the door shell from them.

Knowing the speaker feed wires are purple and pink (circled in blue), do you ...

• See any evidence of tears, punctures in ANY of the section the harness I outlined in red, which they'd be passing through?
    • See any evidence someone cut and/or re-taped the section of the harness I outlined in red?
    • See any evidence of wire tampering and/or damage to the purple and pink wire inside the blue circle?
    • Remember if you tried to separate the white connector where the purple/pink wires become blue/green to make sure the connector if fully plugged in, isn't damaged, neither of the wires are damaged or loose at the connector, and that specific connector is fully snapped together?
    • Remember looking at the rubber wiring boot between the door jamb and cab to see if it's been torn, evidence of it being popped out once, or otherwise tampered with?
    Main point of these questions being, someone could've done a factory-level job of re-taping the harness to conceal damage. Or maybe they disconnected the speaker using the connector in the blue circle once, and bent a pin when reconnecting. Or, maybe they failed to disconnect the speaker and yanked way to f'n hard on the door, and separated the pink, purple, blue, or green wire from their

upload_2022-9-18_16-45-47.jpg

ThatYeti [OP] likes this.
  7. Sep 18, 2022 at 2:09 PM
    ThatYeti

ThatYeti [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra SR5
    Ya I didn't think those were close to anything important and surprisingly all the wiring in the door was untouched as best I could tell. Managed to grab a few of those rocker panel screws from the parts truck I visited earlier to snag new door cards from so I'll probably get into removing that panel this week and figure out if there's anything obviously wrong with whatever is hiding under there.

shifty` likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top