1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stuck Key

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Liz22kmc, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Feb 18, 2020 at 1:19 PM
    Liz22kmc

Liz22kmc [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Liz
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC SR5 4.6L Tundra
    Hey all! My key is getting stuck in the ignition in the ACC position. Any quick fixes to get this sorted out?
    If no quick fixes, what part should I be prepared to replace?

2. Feb 18, 2020 at 1:26 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    How about some key graphite. Typically you use that stuff on a new lock to help get it worn in. At least that’s what a locksmith told me. And spraying it with anything ultimately can lead to it gumming up. I think I would try a silicone spray since it dries. Also does it help if you jiggle your steering wheel to get the key to go back to the proper position?Otherwise it’s probably the lock cylinder either worn out or in need of some love.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  3. Feb 18, 2020 at 1:28 PM
    Johnsonman

Johnsonman New Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Sequoia
    LED headlamps/fogs; interior footlamps.
    A good locksmith is best to check it out. My older 4runner's key got stuck, locksmith made a repair for $50 compared to a few hundred for a new tumbler. Now has a feature where key can be removed in any position, kinda handy...

bleach, Liz22kmc[OP] and 15whtrd like this.
  4. Feb 18, 2020 at 1:29 PM
    Liz22kmc

Liz22kmc [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Liz
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC SR5 4.6L Tundra
    It seems like the only thing that will get it out is turning the ignition on and off a few times while reversing and pulling forward, almost like to straighten out the steering wheel.

15whtrd[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Feb 18, 2020 at 1:29 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    That’s actually the best solution if you can’t free up yourself. A good locksmith should be able to remedy that no problem. And if ultimately it needs new parts, he’s your man.

Liz22kmc[OP] likes this.
  6. Feb 18, 2020 at 1:32 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    If you’re not into trying to take it apart yourself. I would just hit up a good locksmith. They might be able to take apart the tumblers and get it all going for you.

Liz22kmc[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  7. Feb 18, 2020 at 9:24 PM
    FWD Tundra

FWD Tundra New Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra 4WD Double Cab
    I would say spray some good electrical contact cleaner in it then use (after it evaporates) the graphite as mentioned in an earlier post.

Liz22kmc[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top