1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Strange kinda day today

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Shamrock92, Jul 6, 2022.

1. Aug 4, 2022 at 2:29 PM
    Shamrock92

Shamrock92 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I just don’t get it - current job is doing all they can to stall for time (like seriously - how long do you think I will wait - a week/2? A month is unreasonable and if your hope is to stall me long enough to get the current offer to walk away - even if they did - I’ll remember and walk first chance I get after this knowing exactly who you are and how you work).

Then on the other side - got a recruiter literally calling every number or email of mine he can find pushing for a commitment. Keep in mind I told him we are good on terms and I am inclined to accept once formally offered - but since he can’t formally offer until doing background (2 weeks) I can’t formally commit and will continue with my scheduled interviews.

It gets a bit annoying as you are basically saying commit to us and then we will decide for sure we want you - and the calling my work and getting my office line and email and calling was both a ballsy and rather rude move. I mean I have you my cell and email to reach me - call me there/email me there and if I go silent for a few days - then maybe that’s appropriate. But if I email you at 9 and say I’m really busy today and will try to get in touch later - it’s not appropriate to start bombarding me with calls and e-mails at 3. It’s actually quite annoying when your trying to work. Wonder what he would think of a candidate who called his office or googled him and found a home phone/email or address and started calling them/emailing him personally or showed up at his house asking for updates ?!? Yea - probably exactly how I feel - I gave you 2 ways to contact me - if I wanted you to have more - I would have shared more. Use the 2 and gave you and quit trying to stalk me into submission.

2. Aug 4, 2022 at 3:00 PM
    Tundar the Barbarian

Tundar the Barbarian New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM TRD OffRoad
    Speakers, amp, subs, floorboard lights...and the little step thing under the bumper
    Well, yeah, if he's saying they can't make a formal offer for two weeks, and you've said you're amenable to terms, there's no change in status, until they make an offer (or someone makes a better formal offer before then).
    On the plus side, better than wanting out, and being stuck!

3. Aug 4, 2022 at 3:08 PM
    BobsYourUncle

BobsYourUncle New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Super White Tundra TRD Pro
    Recruiters / headhunters only get paid when they "deliver the goods", so of course, they pester you incessantly until you either accept a position, or tell them to F off.

When I was hunting, I would only give out a Google Voice # so if they got too crazy, I could either block them, or block them with the "this number is no longer in service..." message, which would at least get them to stop contacting me via phone. Email? Secondary account and again, could just add to "junk" so you didn't have to see them.

On current job / asking for counter offer - I never do that, and never recommend anyone do that personally. If you were bored / upset / frustrated enough to consider moving, and the thing that would make you stay is more $$$, well, whatever caused you to be bored / upset / frustrated doesn't change. Bank account may be fatter, but that's it. No improvement to your quality of life. Also, from employer's view, they now think you're going to bail any time a higher dollar amount is waived in your face and it may prevent them from actually investing in furthering your training or "importantness" to the company since they don't know if you're going to be around long.

If you're "waiting" on current job to match, and they are dragging feet, well, that's usually their polite way of saying "no thanks" and seeing if you do actually walk or stay. And, of course, if you stay, they know they have you and won't feel any need to do anything further to retain you.

Shamrock92 [OP] likes this.
  4. Aug 4, 2022 at 4:05 PM
    Shamrock92

Member:
    Yea - I look at it like this. They can pull an offer or hire snd fire me after day 1 - likewise I feel no obligation to honor my commitment if something better comes along before starting.

As to current employer - I’m basically just waiting for someone to blow me away - not jumping on the first offer. I’m on the way out / they just don’t know it yet. I play them like I want to stay - give me more. They don’t - no harm - I move on like I planned. They do - I use that to leverage better terms from next job - saying potentially “I’m taking less - I want more work from home, a higher profit share or more vacation or something”

5. Aug 8, 2022 at 11:35 AM
    Shamrock92

Member:
    Damn - this situation is so fluid it’s leaving my head spinning.

The good - I guess it’s good at least. Another interview down today, a semi productive call with a head hunter on some out of state opportunities back home and another “1st interview” requested and completed. The “1st interview” is one of those stupid things - record a video telling us about you - answer some situational questions and then some job specific things - you record and send. Again - this is a past employer (immediately before my current job) huge company and a local job - who knows what next steps might be with them - last time it was literally a phone screen and your hired kinda thing - surprised me as I never had someone offer a job without ever meeting me (this was pre COViD). Given my experience - could be the same here with an offer - or could be a 2nd interview or a flat no. We left in good terms and my boss there liked me - but I wasn’t the biggest fan of the culture. Huge company and too many middle management types. I like smaller and a directly relationship with one boss and a connection to the senior leaders if needed.

Other interview today went ok - not 100% sold on the company or the job - pays well and feel I did ok. Didn’t feel like an immediate “connection” like some have - but a hefty increase and might just be the fact I was meeting with a senior leader and not a local direct reporting manager.

Bigger interview Wed - job I really want. Great fit for me and likely them. Only thing is they are ok with remote - but want me back in the home state - which I am not presently and don’t think they can/will pay relocation. So I need to sell them on my ability to work from home outside of their home state. Shouldn’t be that hard - I could live in their home state and be near 4 hours away from the home office - I’m 6 hours away now and travel back to near their home office every 3-4 months. If they are hood with bi monthly visits - I think it could easily work.

The bad - the current employer seems intent on taking the low road. I told them I was looking and what I was offered. Seemed receptive at first - but has been acting completely unprofessional the last 4 days. Seems to sense they won’t be close and trying to milk what they can out of me before I hit the door - then will spin it as I quit because of workload or something. Basically a CYA move by my boss - and I made some clear I am not a fan. Just told him - have f you don’t want to make an offer/can’t make an offer - say that. Not pull this crap and try to make it look like it was my choice to leave. You know what I’ve been offered - you know what I generate for you so it’s time to decide - are you willing to pay me fairly or are you prepared for me to leave - sentiment aside - if f I’m worth x - don’t say I’ll give you 85% of x - citing economic conditions, your “loyalty” to me or whatever phase of the moon it is tonight. Bottom line you run a for profit company - and I am a for profit individual - either we agree on my value or we disagree and I move on to someone whose value more closely matches mine.

6. Aug 10, 2022 at 2:43 PM
    Shamrock92

Member:
    Today was a waste - said they wanted one thing - presented something completely different on terms.

4 hour interview - told them at the end I’d be happy to consider what we originally discussed - but new terms wouldn’t work.

More set Friday/Tuesday and waiting on at least 1 more to be set - seems a lot of places will waste time still

7. Aug 16, 2022 at 11:49 AM
    Shamrock92

Member:
    Well - once again things taking an interesting turn.

Had 2 calls on Friday - one out of state and one local

Local was a complete and total waste of my time - 8 minutes in and I could tell I had zero interest in ever working for these clowns. Seriously unprofessional and cut me off multiple times - just finally had to say enough is enough and end the interview.

The out of state though went well - this was set up by a head hunter. Liked the people I met with - and they seemed to like me.

Got an email this morning - asking me to either fly up to their HQ for a face to face (about 6 hour drive or 1 hour flight) or suggesting we could meet at a field office 3 hours away if I wanted to drive.

Just about talked myself into staying here too - I really don’t want to move - but gotta think if they are flying me somewhere that a. The interest is serious - not a time waste and b. The money we are talking is likely worth listening to - again - not gonna lay out cash to fly me in to offer me a few dollars more yearly - they are serious players per the head hunter and feels it could be a 40% raise based on job/experience

IDK what to do next - I guess listen to what they have to say. Current job “promises” they are going to take care of me come end of year - I’m still thinking it’s a stall tactic - promise something and if they can’t deliver - they at least had me turn down a competitors offer and possibly that opportunity won’t be there later. This offer though I feel would wait if I just told them I needed more time.

Products Discussed in

To Top