1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock 20in tires...what is the lowest psi

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by mgxsequioa, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Jul 22, 2020 at 4:16 AM
    mgxsequioa

mgxsequioa [OP] New Member

Member:
    Is there a way to determine the lowest psi I can run on the tires without losing the seal with the rim. I took it on the beach yesterday in very soft sand...was running at 17.5 psi. I had no issues for the most part but two areas got a little hairy. I’ll be back out every day this week and will try different psi. Thanks in advance for guidance.

I’ll post more later on the ARB ckmp12. Great experience yesterday... it gets hot (watch you fingers when disconnecting the hose) and the case is light, make sure it’s stable as you move from tire to tire or it’ll tip.

2. Jul 22, 2020 at 4:52 AM
    Jaypown

Jaypown New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Rubber City
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD Sport CM 4x4 MGM
    I would think you can do 15 psi without issues in sand IMO. I would definitely air up as soon as you hit pavement though.

Also, It'd be wise to make sure there's someone around you that can always pull you out in case you get buried. Once you're buried, don't keep spinning or it'll get worse. Shovels, traction boards, straps will be your best friend.

3. Jul 22, 2020 at 5:14 AM
    mgxsequioa

Member:
    Appreciate the quick response. Is it bad that I want to test the gotreads? Not sure how to do that without getting stuck.

I don’t want to be that guy that poses for the glamour shots digging out the Tundra among all the Jeeps and F150s down there.

The beach is pretty crowded down there, I have a shovel and straps and suspect that many will be happy to help me if needed...it is the south.

4. Jul 22, 2020 at 5:38 AM
    Jaypown

Jaypown New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Rubber City
    Vehicle:
    Just hold up a sign that says "Just testing the gotreads" lol

But seriously, only real way is to get stuck and test them out. Just have a backup plan if they don't work (with that many people down there, wont be a problem) If anyone asks if you need help when initially trying the treads, tell them it's all intentional to test out your treads. Better to know how to use and what to expect than be caught off guard one day. Plus, don't worry about what others think. Everyone knows Tundras are superior to Jeeps and F150's. :burnrubber:

5. Jul 22, 2020 at 2:32 PM
    mgxsequioa

Member:
    D762DE80-235E-4AB7-B5D6-F451CD37A48E.jpg

So far a good! I did notice a huge difference in the ride of the TRD vs the Platinum. His travel seems much smoother than mine over the “washboard” section on the sand. He was not bouncing at all and I may have hit the bump stops.

Jaypown likes this.
  6. Jul 28, 2020 at 3:32 PM
    mgxsequioa

Member:
    Final update from the trip...I was able to test out the gotreads on a jeep grand cherokee and they worked out very well.

All in all, it was a great trip. The ARB CKMP12, Waterport, Gotreads and ARB ARB601 Digital Tire Pressure Gauge all worked out very well.

Before the next trip, I hope to find someone selling their take off 18's and may change the suspension... I cant go too much higher and still park in the garage. I did noticed some of the other Tundras out there able to run at a higher speed over the sand without the same bounce I had.

Thanks again for the help @Jaypown

Black Wolf and Jaypown like this.
  7. Jul 29, 2020 at 4:19 AM
    Jaypown

Jaypown New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Rubber City
    Vehicle:
    Anytime!

What beach are you going out on?

8. Jul 29, 2020 at 6:26 AM
    mgxsequioa

Member:
    Ft Fisher (Carolina Beach)...south of Wilmington NC

don3032 and Jaypown[QUOTED] like this.
  9. Jul 29, 2020 at 7:08 AM
    Jaypown

Jaypown New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Rubber City
    Vehicle:
    Nice. I was out on the north end of outer banks a couple years ago with my Tacoma. Decently soft sand and I never aired down. I got lucky that I didnt get buried anywhere either. I'll be in Emerald Isle in September but taking my wifes accord so no exploring for me. :(

don3032 likes this.
  10. Jul 29, 2020 at 2:49 PM
    mgxsequioa

Member:
    I’ve heard Emerald Isle is beautiful. We took a scenic drive down that way and rode the ferry from Havelock across the Neuse River. It was an easy detour off of 17 and exciting for the kids.

Jaypown likes this.
  11. Jul 29, 2020 at 3:23 PM
    Johnsonman

Johnsonman New Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Sequoia
    LED headlamps/fogs; interior footlamps.
  12. Jul 29, 2020 at 4:40 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    GoTreads are decent. We had a very successful group buy about a year or so ago.
    @porkitt

Maybe time for another? I'm down for another set. Great insurance! Small USA company. Avoid cheap China crap.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  13. Jul 29, 2020 at 5:28 PM
    porkitt

porkitt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Pro Cement
    DAP Tune ESP Storage RCI Skids Icon Rebound ABS Guards AVS Vent Visor FRAC Harness 50 Cal/Antenna X BFG KO2 HID Extra Light Bar White Knuckle Off Road Sliders BAK Industries Revolver X2 Oh Shit Handles Pop and Lock LED Internal and Reverse Lights LED Footwell lights Tuffy Storage Console organizers Viper Alarm and Remote Start
    I’ll check with Go Treads

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jul 29, 2020 at 5:39 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Thanks. Just do it Ian. @porkitt ! I bet a GoTread GB will be even better than last time! I'm sure Covid has hurt them so let's help them out!
    @mgxsequioa , I bet you would get on it too. Why not have four! Thanks for mentioning GoTreads. Not much mentioned here anymore about Maxtraxx. Too much $ but looks cool mounted on a RTT rack where they can get ripped off. $300. Haha

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    porkitt[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Jul 29, 2020 at 8:27 PM
    java230

java230 New Member

Member:
    You can definitely do less that 17. I 10 should be fine.

16. Jul 29, 2020 at 9:19 PM
    porkitt

porkitt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Pro Cement
    DAP Tune ESP Storage RCI Skids Icon Rebound ABS Guards AVS Vent Visor FRAC Harness 50 Cal/Antenna X BFG KO2 HID Extra Light Bar White Knuckle Off Road Sliders BAK Industries Revolver X2 Oh Shit Handles Pop and Lock LED Internal and Reverse Lights LED Footwell lights Tuffy Storage Console organizers Viper Alarm and Remote Start
    Done! Email sent to Go Treads.

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
To Top