1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Still Getting Previous Owners' Mail and Packages

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Cpl_Punishment, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Jun 20, 2020 at 1:08 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment [OP] Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    Hoping some of you guys with more life experience than I have can help me out with this. I did a quick search and didn't see any related threads but sorry if this was covered elsewhere or should go in another section.

My wife and I bought and moved into our house in December 2018. At that time, the previous owners said they had set up mail forwarding for 3 months. Something apparently went wrong at Canada Post because we continued to get at least some of their mail, if not all of it - including the notice after 2 months and 3 weeks that the forwarding would be ending soon, funnily enough. I didn't really mind that much because obviously mistakes can be made; I generally just texted our realtor every few weeks asking her to text a message to their realtor for them to come pick up another batch of mail from our mailbox.

However, it seems like these people haven't bothered to check or update their address anywhere. We still get quite a bit of their mail, including insurance documents (which makes me concerned that they still have insurance on this house) and what may or may not be info related to taxes or employment, just based on the senders. I was able to contact one company that sends about a letter a week and they promised to contact the previous owners for a new mailing address but they don't seem to have done that.

The last straw was when FedEx dropped off what looks to me like a package from Amazon for them. I mean, doesn't it make you enter your mailing address before you order?

Anyway, if anyone has any advice on what I can do, I would appreciate it. I don't want to be a jerk and give them an ultimatum like "change your address or your mail goes in the garbage" or keep their packages for myself or anything like that but apparently the companies sending out the mail can't figure out what "RTS" and "not at this address" mean. I don't think it's fair to our realtor to have to keep conveying messages to them and I have no interest in being in contact with them directly.

Sorry for the long winded rant and thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

YardBird likes this.
  2. Jun 20, 2020 at 1:21 PM
    ARMYGREEN

ARMYGREEN New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 CrewMax MGM
    2018...Seems like you gave them enough time to get it straightened out if they wanted it. I would just write return to sender on all of it with they do not live here anymore written on it.

Cpl_Punishment[OP] likes this.
  3. Jun 20, 2020 at 1:24 PM
    GravityGear

GravityGear Parking Lot Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black DC TSS Off Road 4x4 5.7
    Transfer Flow tank, Pinstripe Suit
    Similar thing happened to us at our last house. We had to file a complaint with USPS. Ours did not end well. We purchased from a flipper. Well, the person who's mail we were getting was deceased. The post office said tough luck and that they couldn't do anything. When we asked the USPS what to do, they said we could try to contact the next of kin. We found the next of kin and he promptly told us to fuck off and he wanted nothing to do with us, the house or anything else relating to the deceased. The call ended with him threatening to come to the house if we contacted him again. Needless to say, I didn't want to need to shoot someone, so we left it alone. We just kept shredding any mail that came for them. We just sold the house and 2 days before leaving, we received another mail for the deceased person. The buyer tried to fuck us in the end so she can suffer with that headache now.

I would go to the post office and file a complaint. Start there and see what they say. Sorry I'm not of much help here as my issue never resolved.

Pinay and Cpl_Punishment[OP] like this.
  4. Jun 20, 2020 at 1:27 PM
    YardBird

YardBird Native San Diegan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonesy
    Vehicle:
    2005 RCLB
    American Thunder Cat Back ~ Retrax Pro ~ Toyota Bed Mat ~ OEM Split Spoke Wheels
    Our spec. house was built in 1989 and we moved in two years later. Thirty years on we were getting mail addressed to folks that once lived at this address even though their home was located nearby and had been torn down.
    The family had a son & daughter ~ Andrew became a building contractor in our village. He was working down the street renovating a friend's home when the postman delivered another letter addressed to his parents.
    I walked the letter down to Andrew and handed it to him ~ he fell out ! "I'm gonna show this to my sister ~ she won't believe this" says Andrew. Their parents are deceased and have been for several years.

5. Jun 20, 2020 at 1:32 PM
    omgboost

omgboost The Accountant

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sequoia Platinum
    I have bought my house for over 5 years now. I don't even bother anymore. Things that look like junk mail goes to the trash. Everything else, I just write return to sender, receipent no longer at this address. Sometimes I get the same mail back and if I do, I put it back in the mailbox but had one come back a second time and that's when I deposited in the trash.

glowblue and Cpl_Punishment[OP] like this.
  6. Jun 20, 2020 at 3:05 PM
    P-Factor

P-Factor New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Double Cab
    TRD Sway Bar, TRD Exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake
    The problem is that liens can still be filed against the property. I would place a legal "Notice to Creditors" in your local news paper or contact your closing attorney to followup with best practice for holding you harmless.

7. Jun 20, 2020 at 3:12 PM
    FlyingWolfe

FlyingWolfe Wolfie

Member:
    First Name:
    Crystal
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Inferno
    I worked for USPS for a couple of years. Dads been there 35.
    Sounds like youve done your due diligence and spent way too much time on trying to help them. Id shred everything at that point personally, but if you want to keep attempting just write RTS on everything and stick it back in the box. I had the same issues at my current home, mail for the dead husband and the wife that had moved away in 2008. I called a few of the senders on the important looking envelopes to say they werent here, after 5 years of that: everything goes into the woodstove.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    omgboost and Cpl_Punishment[OP] like this.
  8. Jun 20, 2020 at 3:17 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    I would also write Return To Sender on the letters.
    Maybe that Amazon package is a house warming gift. :D

9. Jun 20, 2020 at 3:20 PM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    Can you say.....Pedal Commander :thumbsup:

It happened to us years ago when we bought the house. Return to sender, for a while, then shredder, then they eventually stopped

10. Jun 20, 2020 at 3:33 PM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    I'd just RTS or shred. Packages would either be refused upon delivery or given back to the delivery company. Thankfully, we haven't had any wrong mail since we bought our house last summer. The previous owners must have been on the ball getting their info updated.

Closest I've had was when I got a new phone number 10 years ago. It must have been a drug dealer's number because people kept calling and texting at all hours looking for their shit or asking where to meet up. Most would stop after I told them they had the wrong number. A few kept it up, so I would forward their info to my friend who worked in the local drug and gang task force. One guy got real persistent with his texting, insisting that I owed him either his money back or his drugs. Wouldn't understand that he had the wrong guy. Finally he said he knew where I lived and that he was coming over with his 3 buddies to kill me. Seeing as I was the first tenant in a new basement suite in a new neighbourhood, I knew he had no idea where I lived. Sick of his crap, I texted back insulting his mother and called him all kinds of names while quesitioning his manliness and ended with "bring it on bitch. I'll be waiting." My LEO buddy laughed his ass off when I showed him the text chain.

I've always wondered what went down when the guy showed up at his dealer's house ready to rumble. :D

11. Jun 20, 2020 at 3:41 PM
    TokerJoker

TokerJoker ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Nowhere, Specific
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black SR5 4.6 Dbl Cab
    None.....yet
    My cousin lived in an apartment and the previous tenants had ordered an expresso machine, high dollar unit, that was delivered after my cousin moved in. My cousin was told told by the company "keep it, we'll contact the purchaser and send them a new one to the correct address". So after 18 months they'd be SOL..... what came from Amazon?

12. Jun 20, 2020 at 3:45 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    I haven't opened it. I'm pretty sure it's a felony to open other people's mail. Not sure about packages.

13. Jun 20, 2020 at 3:47 PM
    TokerJoker

TokerJoker ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Nowhere, Specific
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black SR5 4.6 Dbl Cab
    None.....yet
    It was mailed to your alias :anonymous:

It was mailed to YOUR house!

14. Jun 20, 2020 at 4:38 PM
    trucksareforgirls2

trucksareforgirls2 New Member

Member:
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Off-Road
    Soooo the same thing happened to me! I bought my house and after 3 years I was STILL getting some of the previous owner's mail and on rare occasion packages as well. When I was on Facebook I would send her a message and ask what she wanted me to do with the stuff and I would do it, but I finally got tired of it! Long story short I brought a package to the local post office and just said here, she hasn't lived here for like 3 years do whatever you like with it. I also just started throwing her mail in trash, no matter what it was, as I had given her more than enough time to change the address. She got the message apparently because I not longer get any of her mail or packages. My point is that you should do the same! If you have a Khols in your area they take packages from Amazon just bring it there and say the person doesn't live there anymore, and if it continues finders keepers!

-T

15. Jun 20, 2020 at 4:39 PM
    trucksareforgirls2

trucksareforgirls2 New Member

Member:
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Off-Road
    That's only if sent via the US postal Service. Obviously stealing the package is a crime, however It was sent to your house so...

-T

16. Jun 20, 2020 at 4:49 PM
    Redcon41318

Redcon41318 New Member

Member:
    First hand experience/ same scenario as you,but things got suspicious when I received mail from the dept of licensing still addressed to my house. I suggest return to sender,
    Do not bother contacting realtors!

Again, return to sender, report to your post office! Who knows why such an easy task to change address and they still havent done it!?

are they running from the law? Fugitives?

Return to sender!

17. Jun 20, 2020 at 4:51 PM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    Canada Post says ....

Cross out the address. Write 'Moved' or 'Unknown' and deposit the item in a Street Letter Box.

I say....

If mail from the same sender comes through after you send one back, trash it.

18. Jun 20, 2020 at 4:55 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    You must be better at navigating their website than I am.

Yeah, I think that's that I'll do. Now I just have to decide what to do with this FedEx package.

19. Jun 20, 2020 at 4:56 PM
    FlyingWolfe

FlyingWolfe Wolfie

Member:
    First Name:
    Crystal
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Inferno
    If you can hunt your mail carrier down, talking to him would prob help as well.
    I was a sub and bounced around to 12 routes with 800 or so boxes to remember on each so i had trouble remember who was where if the case wasnt labeled right or the forward card wasnt there. Your regular carrier should remember if you say “only deliver X last names here please”

20. Jun 20, 2020 at 4:57 PM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
  21. Jun 20, 2020 at 5:29 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    In our last house my wife and I wrote “Return to sender, addressee has moved” on the P.O.’s mail for a few years. After that, the recycle bin. Couldn’t be bothered to shred it. I just ran out of larger rodent’s derrières to give. :mad:

I would 100% open the Amazon package, and decide if I wanted it. Not saying you should do the same. You might be a better human than me. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top