1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Still a rough ride after new shocks and new tires...

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by sahzoom, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Sep 14, 2021 at 6:14 PM
    sahzoom

sahzoom [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Avery
    Vehicle:
    2011 White Tundra (4.6) 2WD
    Bilstein 5100 shocks all 4 corners 285/65R20 Tires K&N Intake Flowmaster Dual Exhaust + Lots of Cosmetics (Headlights/Tailights, etc...)
    I have a 2011 Tundra (2WD) and replaced the shocks about 10,000 miles ago (right at 100K).

The OEM shocks were utterly destroyed, like took a good minute rebound when I removed them. I put Bilstein 5100s on all 4 corners and the ride was a definitely better (obviously, compared to NO shocks). However as time went on, I still noticed the ride was still pretty harsh... composed, but just like a rock. Nothing like what the truck used to ride like 10 years ago. Next culprit - tires

My tires were pretty old too, so I got new rubber about 5,000 miles after (roughly .5" taller tire, and slightly wider than previous ones), and it definitely helped with not feeling all the tiny cracks, but still super stiff ride...

From everything I've read, the Bilsteins are supposed to be pretty good, but man my truck just rides like a brick. I've tried everything from having weight in the bed, no weight, higher psi in the tires, lower, normal, etc...

I am at my witt's end with this problem - anybody have any idea what it could be as to why the truck is riding so damn rough? I live in an area where the road's are some of the worst (Hawaii) and would like to not have my insides re-arranged on my daily commute...

2. Sep 14, 2021 at 6:30 PM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    Welcome.

5100's are good shocks but maybe intended or designed more for offroad use. The stock shocks are fairly soft for more comfortable ride.

What size rims/wheels do you have? 22 inch rims will have less side wall than 18 inch wheels. More side wall usually means a softer ride.

3. Sep 14, 2021 at 6:49 PM
    Gravy

Gravy Cat herder, ASCM #π

Member:
    Yucaipa, California
    Vehicle:
    2008 White DC 4x4, Limited TRD
    OME Nitrocharger/2612 (front), Bilstein 5100s (rear). Vanguard roll bar modified (by me) to fit over Patriot Stealth retractable tonneau. Aftermarket halo headlights with HID, various LED bulb replacements. 17" Fuel Blitz wheels with some 33" Nitto terra grapplers. Hoodscoop, nfab nerfbars, Bushwacker flares. No-name aftermarket grille, led fender extensions. Black Horse bambi-basher. Various offroad lights.

Warranty your Bilsteins if they aren't too old. I had a full set put on, rode like shit. Complained to 4x4 shop, they ended up warrantee replacing all 4, rode good after that. Oh, I also changed the coils to soften it up more.

Barrett50 likes this.
  4. Sep 14, 2021 at 7:06 PM
    Kfrog

Kfrog New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR-5
    Have you looked at the springs, thinking they could have lost tension and you're riding on helper, so with any weight in back or just weak you'll bounce on that large helper. I don't know what your setup is but my 16 has the normal ride quality springs that will compress under load and ride on the large helper that can be very rough. I turned my helpers over on Dodge diesel a few years ago when pulling a heavy 5th wheel and added air bags. It rode great with trailer and much better MTY, of course dropped the air in bags when MTY. You can also add heavy duty shock springs that will get you off overloads, as well.

5. Sep 14, 2021 at 7:13 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    What tires? What psi? Pics? Do you have 18" rims or 20"?.

6. Sep 14, 2021 at 7:22 PM
    sahzoom

sahzoom [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Avery
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100 shocks all 4 corners 285/65R20 Tires K&N Intake Flowmaster Dual Exhaust + Lots of Cosmetics (Headlights/Tailights, etc...)
    I have 20" Wheels, so not as much as an 18, but I have had the 20s for a while now, and it rode better before when I had even smaller tires back then

7. Sep 14, 2021 at 7:33 PM
    sahzoom

sahzoom [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Avery
    Vehicle:
    So was it replacing the shocks that made the difference or the new springs? And is it really possible for a whole set to be that bad?

Also, what springs did you get, just OEM or something softer?

8. Sep 14, 2021 at 7:35 PM
    sahzoom

sahzoom [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Avery
    Vehicle:
    Well, my problem isn't really the back bouncing or anything like that - just the whole thing (mainly the front) rides like a rock. Even putting some weight in the bed didn't do anything. My back end is pretty settled and I never had a problem with that.

9. Sep 14, 2021 at 7:38 PM
    sahzoom

sahzoom [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Avery
    Vehicle:
    20" Stock Alloys with 34.6" tires. Obviously not the most sidewall, but it's still got a good chunk. Right now, I am running about 32 PSI. I have tried everything from going up to 40-45 PSI or down to like 28-30 PSI. It only makes minor differences - the problem is definitely the suspension.

I will be able to get some pictures when I get home later.

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Sep 14, 2021 at 7:38 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I'd go with @Gravy 's advice and go with softer coils.

Trooper2 likes this.
  11. Sep 14, 2021 at 7:39 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    No need for pics. You explained quite well.

Trooper2 and sahzoom[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  12. Sep 14, 2021 at 7:40 PM
    sahzoom

sahzoom [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Avery
    Vehicle:
    Is there a particular brand to go with? Like how do I know what to get (what fits) and is softer than stock? I tried looking that up before but couldn't be confident anything would fit or not...

13. Sep 14, 2021 at 7:43 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Call @Toytec Lifts and ask for Hugo. Seriously. Talk to Hugo.Explain to him what your issue is. He will set you straight. No up sell. Do it! A modest forum discount too. Do it......20210912_114508.jpg
    Hugo with my grandson last Sunday at the Off Grid Expo. Hugo is great people...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  14. Sep 14, 2021 at 7:58 PM
    Gravy

Gravy Cat herder, ASCM #π

Member:
    Yucaipa, California
    Vehicle:
    2008 White DC 4x4, Limited TRD
    OME Nitrocharger/2612 (front), Bilstein 5100s (rear). Vanguard roll bar modified (by me) to fit over Patriot Stealth retractable tonneau. Aftermarket halo headlights with HID, various LED bulb replacements. 17" Fuel Blitz wheels with some 33" Nitto terra grapplers. Hoodscoop, nfab nerfbars, Bushwacker flares. No-name aftermarket grille, led fender extensions. Black Horse bambi-basher. Various offroad lights.
    Long story on my suspension heh, I'll condense it somewhat. But yeah, I ended up with 4 bad 5100s (not sure if it was Bilstein or maybe the 4x4 shop, they've had a hard time keeping good employees during all this cov bs, but the owners always make good with me so I didn't press the issue). In between getting the new 5100s I had them put some aftermarket coils on to try to soften it up, unforetunately it was a "I know this can be done, do it" thing and I didn't pay attention to which maker/model coils they put on. Then after my truck was riding good again (when I bought it, it was on 20s and rode like a caddy) I wanted to change the lift height adjustment on my 5100s. Took it in, and the coil perch retaining ring broke on one of the 5100s, and no one could get one, even called Bilstein and they said maybe October. Waited a week with my truck blocking one of their lift bays lol, finally lost patience and told them to put some OME nitrochargers and 2612 coils on it.

So, yes, it is possible to get bad 5100s, although I don't think its common.
    I don't know what coils they put on, they look like Eibachs. On the plus note, those coils are sitting in my garage now, if you want to try them, cover the shipping and throw in a 20 for the hassle and they're yours, but they are an unknown, can't guarantee they'll help your situation.

Just noticed @Black Wolf posted while I was typing, and I agree with him, toytec is awesome. (Also where I got my OME coils, one of the last places in the country that had a set).

Black Wolf likes this.
  15. Sep 14, 2021 at 8:11 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Ditto on the OME's. Best shocks and coilovers for the price point hands down. Had them on my 07. What's critical with the OME's is choosing the right coil for the load up front.

Gravy[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Sep 16, 2021 at 1:48 PM
    sahzoom

sahzoom [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Avery
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the recommendation, I will give him a call!

Products Discussed in

To Top