1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sticking brake help on a GMC

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Tacogrande, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Mar 26, 2019 at 10:30 AM
    Tacogrande

Tacogrande [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 dbl. cab long bed gray
    Husky weatherbeaters,short antenna,window deflectors
    My 99 2500 Sierra beater truck has a sticking front brake? Slide pins seem to slide freely but could maybe use some lubes and the fluid just dribbles out of the bleeder valve. I'm not sure what to check next. Can someone please help?

2. Mar 26, 2019 at 10:47 AM
    Tacogrande

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    Here's a picture

20190326_122550.jpg

3. Mar 26, 2019 at 7:24 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    "Fluid just dribbles out of the bleeder valve?" o_O Sounds like you haven't flushed and filled the brake system in a LOOOOONG time.

You could try flushing as a starting point to get all the gunk out of the lines. In fact, it may make sense to disconnect each brake line at each caliper/cylinder and VERY GENTLY flush all the existing fluid out with fresh fluid. You need someone to watch the master cylinder reservoir and pour fluid in as you pump it out. This will probably take a couple of quarts of fluid. As you flush each line and start getting clean fluid, reconnect to the caliper/cylinder, then flush clean fluid through the caliper until it's clean. Start RR, then LR, then RF, then LF.

Unfortunately, the calipers/cylinders are at the end of the line. Whatever gunk is causing the dribbling is in the caliper already. You could be looking at replacing the caliper if crud is keeping the piston from moving freely.

4. Mar 26, 2019 at 8:26 PM
    Tacogrande

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    I had all 4 brakes serviced by a shop probably 5 years ago but cant remember if they changed the fluid. I started watching some videos on youtube but didn't see my type of caliper so I stopped watching. I thought that if the fluid was gushing out that meant the line was bad? I was hoping this would be a simple job I could do but it's sounding like I will have to take it to a shop. Just wish I could find a video of my type of caliper being worked on. I don't even know how to remove it.

5. Mar 26, 2019 at 8:40 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Sounds like a stuck piston.

Remove caliper, loosen bleeder screw, attempt to collapse the piston. If it’s difficult, replace caliper.

NewImprovedRon and landphil like this.
  6. Mar 26, 2019 at 8:51 PM
    Tacogrande

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    Thats what i was thinking but im not sure how to remove this caliper. It seems to be locked in a dovetail type of steel frame...like if i remove the slide pins that does not help remove the caliper from the rotor. Hope that makes sense? I was just trying to be a cheap ass and not pay a shop to do it. lol

Had a stuck brake-stuck-- slide pins on my old tacoma once but a buddy helped me fix it and was drinking beers so dont remember too well.

7. Mar 26, 2019 at 8:59 PM
    Tacogrande

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    My specialty is woodworking but I like to do my vehicle repair if it's easy enough. :D

20190326_225646.jpg

JohnLakeman, landphil and YardBird like this.
  8. Mar 26, 2019 at 9:06 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Be glad it’s not a 86 or older assembly. You will cuss your mother on those.

aperezsh likes this.
  9. Mar 26, 2019 at 9:54 PM
    Tacogrande

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    So i need to find out if its the wheel bearings stuck or the caliper piston that is stuck... I will try tomorrow. Thanks for posting those videos. If i do have to take it to a shop i at least like to know for sure what is wrong first so i can make sure they dont lie to me.

10. Mar 26, 2019 at 10:09 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Im thinking bad brake hose. The inside can fail even if it looks ok on the outside. If fluid is barely coming out of the bleed. That usually means it’s not even making it there. The brakes should still be able to be bled even with a stuck piston.

A collapsed brake hose can cause a dragging brake pad.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  11. Mar 27, 2019 at 2:54 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    I agree that you're making the right decision taking it to a professional. "A man has to know his limitations". If you have dribbling fluid out of the bleeder, and haven't had any brake work or maintenance done in five years, I suspect the news is not going to be good.

Products Discussed in

To Top