1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

steering wheel play

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by jmoney2001, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Sep 23, 2021 at 5:03 AM
    jmoney2001

jmoney2001 [OP] New Member

Member:
    hey has anyone had any issues with their steering wheel. my steering wheel has play in it and it seems to be coming from the middle part of the steering wheel. is their a way to change out the brass part or a way to fix this?

IMG_1252.jpg
    IMG_1251.jpg

2. Sep 23, 2021 at 5:36 AM
    toyofan87

toyofan87 Beer thirty

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Gettysburg, Penna
    Vehicle:
    80- Longbed/87-4Runner/08-Sr5 Tundra
    Toytec 2.0 Aluma 3/1.5 lift with JBA's UCA Falkens AT3 295/70/18
    Given a official welcome to the tundy forum.. Welcome

3. Sep 23, 2021 at 5:45 AM
    Forcefed

Forcefed New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Limited
    6 inch lift, ADS suspension, Alcan custom rear springs, 46 gallon metal gas tank, Full Line-x body, Wheels with 35's, Smittybilt bumpers front and rear, 10k warn winch, custom rack.
    I have a little play but never investigated to see. For me I have had enough old cars I really don't even notice it that much. I have not seen anything about this, most of the time people swap steering wheels for the newer style. I'll be doing a 2.5 swap when I find a good deal on a steering wheel.

4. Sep 23, 2021 at 5:53 AM
    jmoney2001

Member:
    than
    thank you for the welcome!!

i really dont have the funds for a newer steering wheel plus airbag. i have also looked into used steering wheels and they are in bad shape. mine is in really good shape

toyofan87[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Sep 23, 2021 at 6:03 AM
    Forcefed

Forcefed New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Limited
    6 inch lift, ADS suspension, Alcan custom rear springs, 46 gallon metal gas tank, Full Line-x body, Wheels with 35's, Smittybilt bumpers front and rear, 10k warn winch, custom rack.
    I know a few guys are doing steering wheel swaps, I would find one of them and message them to see if this is an issue with the old unit. You might even be able to get one for nothing, since you want the stock 2gen. Nobody wants those. Search the forums and see what you can find. That's my best advice.

6. Sep 25, 2021 at 9:44 PM
    NueveTundra

NueveTundra Mod list in Bio

Member:
    Planet Earth
    Vehicle:
    07, Black Tundra SR5 CrewMax
    Exterior: Toytec ultimate 3" lift level, Total Chaos Uniball UCA's, Total Chaos Cam Tab Gusset kit, AcanII smoked headlights, AcanII smoke Tail lights (2.5 gen style), DV8 front winch bumper , Badlands 12k winch with Apex Synthetic, White AUTMATCH Shackles 3/4" D Ring Shackle, Apex Winch shackle, Trail Ridge mirrors ,Icon Rebound Pro 17"x8.5" +25, Cooper Discovery STT Pro 285/70R17, PowerStop drilled n slotted rotors W/Carbon pads, Rigid flood flush mounts rear bumper , WeatherTec rain guards , OEM black side badges , Rigid Amber Radiance Pods. Energy Suspension Red Rack and Pinion Bushings, EAG front mesh Grille, RCI HighLift bed mounts. Rough Country DS2 Steps, A.R.E OverLand Canopy with Ascend basket, Stickers: ToyTec lifts windshield banner, Red Strange Music window sticker(back cab), White Strange Music sticker(back canopy), White Rigid sticker x2 (canopy sides), white Official BigFoot Research Team (Back Canopy) Interior: Alpine double din touch iLX-650 , JL C5-653's (front) JL C1-650x (rear) , JL JX400 4 channel amp , JL JX500 mono amp , 2 JL 12" subs , WeatherTec floor mats, Kenwood F/R Dash Cams, Black steering wheel emblem overlay, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, ToyTec "Fresh" Scent coilover air freshener, Under the Hood: Koyo all aluminum radiator, Mishimoto red silicon hoses , XS Power 3000 amp battery , LAlectric 300 amp Alternator , K&N replacement filter. Online LED store accessories Fuse/relay box. (Identified) Dirty Deeds 8" Cat back exhaust with DD resonator delete/axel over converted into dump. Coming soon:
    does the inner metal piece unscrew?. Also just want to shore up info before going in the wrong direction or down a rabbit hole. How did you come to the conclusion that the insert in the steering wheel is the play in the steering system?
    an welcome to forum. :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  7. Sep 25, 2021 at 10:00 PM
    junior

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD Off Road
    Black Rhino Rapid 17" 35x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss Bilstein 6112 at 2.5" w/ 1 Coach Builder Shim on each side JBA UCAs Bilstein 5160 Dobinsons HD Leaf Springs Firestone Airbags + Daystar Cradles Leer 100XR Decked Drawers
    Do any of the splines on that part of the wheel or the steering column look damaged? It's easy to replace it with a new wheel using a steering wheel puller — but it wont help if neither of those are damaged. Could just be looseness in the steering linkage somewhere.

8. Sep 27, 2021 at 5:02 AM
    jmoney2001

Member:
    no sorry the middle part does move. i will installing roll pins on the back. will keep this thread updated once i complete

NueveTundra likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top