1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering Vibration/Wobble

Discussion in '2.5 Gen TRD Pro (2014-2021)' started by AB8A_TRD, May 16, 2023.

1. May 16, 2023 at 7:45 AM
    AB8A_TRD

AB8A_TRD [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD Pro
    Hello,

I have a 2016 TRD Pro for almost two years (got it with 119k miles, going on 141k at the moment). Ever since I bought I’ve always felt a very slight vibration on the steering wheel. (The vibration is a side to side motion on the steering wheel.) Since then I’ve replaced the tie rod ends, tires, rotors/brakes, and have done the alignments and rotations when needed.

Each time I replaced something it would stop it for a couple of days or weeks.

But in the past couple of weeks the vibration has gotten more “aggressive” I would say. It usually is not noticeable until +\- 50 mph, but going faster doesn’t necessarily make it any worse. Regardless of speed at times the vibration will go away a few seconds, not sure if depending on the angle of the road or the weight of the truck being shifted.

Sometimes the vibration feels like is “moves” from the steering wheel to more like the floor, then back to the steering.

And most recently, I feel a clicking when I turn, but I have not heard it.

As well as going over bumps, there’s a feeling as if something was (loose?), but this last part I’m at a bit of a loss on how to explain or what it could be, as this hadn’t happened before until the past couple of days/weeks.

I apologize in advance for my disorganized retelling this is barely my second post.

I know there several threads on steering wheel vibration but so far it’s not exactly like what I’m experiencing, but if there is one I’d appreciate pointing me that way.

Thanks!

2. May 16, 2023 at 7:53 AM
    Cruzer

Cruzer Wheeling Full Size

Member:
    First Name:
    Cruz
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Vehicle:
    Build Page: Cruzer's Re-Build for the Rubicon
    Check your wheel bearings for play. Check if your lug nuts are still tight when the vibrations return.

The last time my truck had aggressive vibrations my passenger front wheel snapped off and went off roading on its own while I was going 75mph on the freeway.

Products Discussed in

To Top