1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering concerns

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by freerider8, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Apr 26, 2016 at 11:14 AM
    freerider8

freerider8 [OP] Trucks Rule

Member:
    Fairview PA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra, Lift Kit aftermarket wheels and tires. One Badass Toy!!
    Fuel Wheels. Lift Kit. Duel Exhaust.
    So this is my problem. I have purchased the truck a little over one month ago and noticed it seemed to pull to the right when letting go of the wheel. Made sure that I was driving on a good road surface to be sure it was pulling. Went and had the Alignment done at the dealership where purchased. Tires were balanced also. They test drove it and the steering wheel went the other direction. Vehicle is still pulling to the right with the steering wheel not straight across the middle of the wheel. While driving after I take a significant turn going right the steering seems to be better with the wheel straight, and no longer pulls to the right but doesn't last long. I am concerned that there is more of an issue pertaining to the steering components but I do not feel much play in the wheel and no whining from the steering pump. I do not want to wear out the tires prematurely if I ignore it. I have an appt tomorrow to have checked again and take a tech for a drive to show what it is happening. Anyone else have this problem before? The truck is an 04 with 97,000 miles. Runs great otherwise.
    Thanks

2. Apr 26, 2016 at 11:48 AM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS Toyota Whisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    From what your describing, (which is really good btw, tell the tech exactly what u said here^^^^) first thought of mine is the rack ad pinion is either moving in the rubber bushings (worn out) or there is some type of play somewhere between the wheel and tires

ColoradoTJ and freerider8[OP] like this.
  3. Apr 26, 2016 at 11:51 AM
    freerider8

Member:
    Fairview PA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, I tried to be as thorough as possible. I will do that and see what they find. Any idea of cost or how difficult to repair?

4. Apr 26, 2016 at 11:52 AM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Depends on what they find man, keep us updated. But u have a great idea of what's happening. Most customers come in and say fix it. That's all the info we get ... the tech should like it that u have a head on ur shoulders.

freerider8[OP] likes this.
  5. Apr 26, 2016 at 11:56 AM
    freerider8

Member:
    Fairview PA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Bud. I appreciate the feedback. I try and stay educated when it comes to repair work. I do what I am capable of and have the tools for.

LOTSOFTOYS likes this.
  6. Apr 27, 2016 at 9:24 AM
    freerider8

Member:
    Fairview PA
    Vehicle:
    Update on the truck today. Took it to the dealer for a review of issues. Alignment was checked and found to be ok, all the suspension and steering components were checked. No issues with any of these areas. Technician swapped the front two tires suspecting one of them being "conned." After switching the tires he states the vehicle drove straight, steering wheel is about as close to straight as he could get it. He stated that with 4x4 vehicles the suspension is different than cars and they have a little more play in them than cars do. Not necessarily play as if something is broken, but not as rigid per se versus cars. I am happy with the results and the best part is it didn't cost me any money.

T-Rex266 likes this.
  7. Apr 27, 2016 at 6:49 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Cool

8. May 24, 2016 at 2:41 PM
    Rkcruza

Rkcruza New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra AC 4WD TRD OR SR5
    De Badged / Decaled, Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags w/ Daystar Cups, 17" Rims, Big Brake kit w/ slotted & drilled rotors, plus lots of work related stuff.
    Glad it got fixed. Seems the steering rack bushings can get sloppy on the 1st gens. Not a huge deal to replace them and you can actually get Poly ones if you want. With the motor running and the truck in park, brake on, blocked etc have someone cycle the steering wheel while you watch the rack to see if it moves in the bushings. Tacos have the same issue.

Products Discussed in

To Top