1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steelie stock lug nut question

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by 14burrito, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Dec 13, 2015 at 5:47 PM
    14burrito

14burrito [OP] IG @14burrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4x4 5.7
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    So 07-13 tundras used different lugs between the steel and aluminum wheels. My 14 had the aluminum 18s but the spare is steel. Now im running rock warrior 17s and was curious if someone knew for certain...

Will the 07-13 steel wheel lugs work for my 14 spare? ....Would the lugs off my stock aluminum wheels even have worked with my spare from the factory?!

Will the splined gorilla lugs I now have for the RW 17s work with the spare?

Yes, I know "take a wheel off and try". I will, just curious if someone will be able to save me some time.

Cheers

2. Dec 13, 2015 at 6:09 PM
    mdavis

mdavis I need a beer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    I had this question when I changed my wheels from steel to aluminum. The new wheels came with different lugs so I used them and put 5 of my old lugs under the seat with the jack just in case I get a flat and need to use my steel spare. if I remember correctly, the steel wheels are hub centric and the aluminum are lug centric that's why there are two different types of lugs.

14burrito[OP] likes this.
  3. Dec 13, 2015 at 6:52 PM
    14burrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4x4 5.7
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Thanks for reply, I sold my 18s to a buddy and gave him my lugs - he had steelies. He happens to still have his steelie lugs and I asked him to bring a set of 5 for me to work tomorrow.

Then back to part of my original question....lets say i still had my stock aluminum 18s, looks like id be SOL in the event of getting a flat? Any reason Toyota then doesnt supply you with the proper lug nuts for that situation?

4. Dec 13, 2015 at 7:09 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I would drop @LOTSOFTOYS a line and see what his opinion is on this. He know doubt has come across this situation before I'm thinkin.

14burrito[OP] likes this.
  5. Dec 13, 2015 at 7:44 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS Toyota Whisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    It is normal for trucks to have steel spares. Yes the alloy lug nuts work with the steelie spare... it has to!;)
    And yes your lugs from your trd wheels will work. I have trd lug nuts on my taco. They look different because they are but they work. Only temporary anyways

14burrito[OP] and Black Wolf like this.
  6. Dec 13, 2015 at 7:49 PM
    14burrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4x4 5.7
    Thanks for the replies guys, still think Ill give it a try with the lugs I have and the set my buddy will provide me with.

Planning a trip from Phx to Telluride and just wanting to make sure I have my bases covered before heading out. Planning on some side trips up there and would prefer not to run into issues.

7. Dec 13, 2015 at 7:52 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Make sure you post some Telluride pics please. Have a safe trip.

Products Discussed in

To Top