1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Start Up Sequence? (Noise Investigation)

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by KroppDuster, Feb 3, 2022.

1. Nov 16, 2022 at 7:29 PM
    1*MEDIC

1*MEDIC New Member

Member:
    Mine has not made the noise since I had the parking brake recall done.

TundraLtdCO likes this.
  2. Nov 17, 2022 at 6:40 AM
    korslite

korslite New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 TRD OR 6.5' Bed
    Recall made zero difference on my truck.

3. Nov 23, 2022 at 2:17 PM
    tony22longBed

tony22longBed New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Vehicle:
    2022 lunar rock long Bed
    just noticed the annoying clunk 500miles ago, geez...

4. Nov 23, 2022 at 7:09 PM
    Duke_962

Duke_962 New Member

Member:
    Nwnj
    Vehicle:
    2022 tundra sr5 4x4
    Rci skid plate,
    Mine made it leavening the dealer after the recall. Not to worried but interested in what it is. Might have to get a go pro and start moving it around under there on startup.

Kap1 likes this.
  5. Nov 24, 2022 at 11:58 AM
    Kap1

Kap1 New Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794
    Same here 1k miles total, noticed this clunk at the start up...

6. Dec 7, 2022 at 7:41 AM
    Cravens2019

Cravens2019 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra SR5
    I have this problem as well. 3500 miles. Been doing it since day 1. When it started I noticed it only on cold start. Now it is doing it only on warm starts. I do a lot of starting and stopping for work, traveling 5-10 miles and then letting sit for 30 min then traveling to next destination. Today it clunked 4 startups in a row. Almost a gargling sound, not just 1 clunk noise. Does not clunk during auto start stop.

7. Dec 9, 2022 at 3:51 PM
    Duke_962

Duke_962 New Member

Member:
    Nwnj
    Vehicle:
    2022 tundra sr5 4x4
    Rci skid plate,
    Ok so I have a theory tested it and need someone else to try it. I have auto parking brake turned on. Noticed the clunk is loud or more likely to make the sound of when I park and have my foot harder on the brake pedal and fully wait for ebrake engagement and shitting engine off before letting off the pedal. As if the park pawl isn’t fully locked with a load. Then the next time I start the truck when the engine starts could it be the pawl locking into its detent when the transmission spins up? My noise seems to be directly under passenger floor (where the transmission sits) I have made it happen twice now. Not sure if it’s dumb luck but the sound does sound as if you put a car in park and let it roll till it hits the pawl on any old car or truck. If I let the truck roll when I put it park before the e brake holds I haven’t heard the noise. Just a theory but someone try it and see if they can reproduce it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
  8. Dec 22, 2022 at 4:13 PM
    KroppDuster

KroppDuster [OP] Out with the old and in with the...older?

Member:
    Here. There. Everywhere.
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 TRD Off Road - Cavalry Blue
    Nice. Thanks @ryanwgregg! Finally validated. Haha. Only took them 10 months to put out a TSB since we posted about this back in Feb. I guess enough peeps finally mentioned it/complained about it for Toyota to take notice.

I’ve got a service appointment for the week between Xmas and New Years so this good timing. I’ll have them perform both the shift hesitation and the noise TSBs.

I gotta say…I’m glad we’re not crazy. Lol

Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
  9. Dec 22, 2022 at 4:18 PM
    TundraLtdCO

TundraLtdCO New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Limited TRD
    Doing exactly the same thing when I get the lift kit installed.

KroppDuster[OP] and ryanwgregg like this.
  10. Dec 29, 2022 at 10:07 AM
    KroppDuster

Member:
    Here. There. Everywhere.
    Vehicle:
    Sitting at the dealership and had the hardest time convincing them to add TSB-0110-22 to the work order. The way Toyota words the tsb is odd because they list a range of VINs but my VIN is older than the range listed. Which, if you read the TSB the way I do, it says (basically) “do this update for trucks BEFORE this VIN range.”

My go-to service manager was like, “Your VIN is not on this list and not applicable to the TSB.”

We kind of went a couple of rounds before I got him to have the tech look in Techstream to confirm what update version # is loaded in the TCM to see if my truck needs it. Oh well. Hopefully the tech will take care of it.

Since they’ll be in Techstream anyways, I also asked them if they could change the sensor detection range of both zones of the front parking sensors from long to short. He was also very skeptical that was even a setting they could change but I assured him that it’s there (based on the info from other forum members). Hoping they’ll be able to change that too.

Attached Files:

Kap1 and ryanwgregg like this.
  11. Dec 29, 2022 at 10:14 AM
    KroppDuster

Member:
    Here. There. Everywhere.
    Vehicle:
    I agree. He’s old school, which usually works in my favor but in this case it backfired. I guess he’s used to just seeing a list of eligible VINs as opposed to the other way around.

It looks like the same update will take care of both the shift lag and the clunk. I’m reading both TSBs, it looks like the software update version # is the same for both. After going round and round on the clunk TSB, I didn’t even mention the transmission shift TSB. One battle won is enough for me right now. Oof.

ryanwgregg likes this.
  12. Jan 2, 2023 at 9:22 PM
    KroppDuster

Member:
    Here. There. Everywhere.
    Vehicle:
    Circling back on this now that’s it’s been a few days since the TSB work was done and the TCM updated…

It’s been over 4 days since the dealer performed the TCM update and I’m happy to report 2 things:
    • Startup noise: I have not heard it since the TCM update has been done. Honestly, it’s quite the relief. Over the past year I’ve had a few passengers ask, “What was that clunk?” Hopefully, I won’t have to answer that question again. :rofl:
    • Hard shifts: The transmission is NOTICEABLY smoother when the truck is cold (I.E. first startup of the day). Backing out of my drive in the morning, I would always experience a fairly hard shift when going from reverse to drive. I had trained myself to shift from reverse into neutral for a couple of seconds and then into drive. I haven’t had to do that since the TCM update. The trans is now smooth as butter at cold. Note: It’s always has been smooth for me when at operating temp.
    In short, if you’ve experienced either issue (Startup clunk or hard shifting while cold) then I highly recommend making an appointment to have this TSB work done. To be honest, in my opinion, it’s worth making an appointment even if you don’t have a service interval coming up soon. It’s been that much of a quality of life improvement for me.

My 2 cents.

On a side note: I want to give a big shout to @ryanwgregg for keeping the community updated on TSBs. Solid work!

13. Jan 10, 2023 at 6:32 AM
    the4rdan

the4rdan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2022 White SR5 TRD OR CrewMax
    Same noise here (more of a “shunk” than a “clunk”, ha!), and the low speed surge. Have it scheduled to be reconciled with the TSB tomorrow and will update. Thanks for the info!

ryanwgregg likes this.
  14. Jan 10, 2023 at 7:53 AM
    OldMotoMan

OldMotoMan New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra DC SR5
    Both hesitation and startup cluck resolved with TSB updates at my 1st service last week.

the4rdan and ryanwgregg like this.
  15. Jan 10, 2023 at 2:52 PM
    TundraLtdCO

TundraLtdCO New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Limited TRD
    Ditto. The TSB is a gamechanger. I like the way it drives. Also I’m not embarrassed every time I start the engine when people are around.

the4rdan and ryanwgregg like this.
  16. Jan 12, 2023 at 1:54 PM
    Fooyotatundra

Fooyotatundra New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2022 sr5 trd 4x4
    Taking in my truck tomorrow for the clunk at start up. Hopefully dealer performs the TSB without too much hassle. Not to steal the thread but has anyone noticed ticking noises while pressing on the brake in drive? Not my video but its the exact same ticking. Truck currently has about 2800 miles.

ryanwgregg likes this.
  17. Jan 13, 2023 at 2:32 PM
    the4rdan

the4rdan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2022 White SR5 TRD OR CrewMax
    The TSB took care of my issues…running great, and consistently quiet startup!

ryanwgregg likes this.
  18. Jan 13, 2023 at 3:11 PM
    Fooyotatundra

Fooyotatundra New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2022 sr5 trd 4x4
    Dealer told me to leave the truck with them so they can duplicate the clunk. Also brought up the ticking noise coming from underneath and they said it probably needs a new transmission. Said they had to replace another tundra recently so here we go

ryanwgregg likes this.
  19. Jan 13, 2023 at 7:39 PM
    Kap1

Kap1 New Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794
    Oh well... At least they'll fix it.

If this was a ram, good luck convincing them to do anything about the noises or ticks... So at least Toyota wants to replace the entire transmission at the very signs of some slight ticking sounds... That's pretty good.

20. Jun 15, 2024 at 10:44 AM
    TicTacx

TicTacx New Member

Member:
    Has there been any correlation established with this sound and the engine recall issue?

Products Discussed in

To Top