1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SSO Slimline Bumper - Install and First Impressions

Discussion in 'Recovery & Gear' started by Cemented, Apr 6, 2018.

1. May 1, 2019 at 7:41 AM
    mgm16trdpro

mgm16trdpro Certified Modoholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    Hey buddy. Are u saying u can't use the bumper shims. Only reason I ask is bc I did find a way to use them. Only problem even with, I was still going to need to cut my bumper due to these monstrosities, so I didn't bother. But if u really want to use them I did find a way.

2. May 1, 2019 at 10:41 AM
    itsdchz

itsdchz 50statesoverland

Member:
    Clovis, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM Cement 4x4
    Icon, UCAs, Method, SSO, KB VOODOO, Skids and Sliders
    I use the remote for out and in process. slow yes, but the access holes make me feel like a lot of debris will get in there.

3. May 1, 2019 at 7:38 PM
    Tracker

Tracker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Colorado, Denver Burbs
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tundra SR5 Lifted
    Pro Comp Lift, towing mirrors, Fuel rims, Toyo A/T, Nav, Viper remote start
    What aboit a magnetic type screen? Is it possible?

4. May 1, 2019 at 7:39 PM
    Tracker

Tracker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Colorado, Denver Burbs
    Vehicle:
    I definitely want to use them that's why bought them I guess I will have to see when the time comes

5. May 1, 2019 at 7:48 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    K when ur ready don't be afraid to reach out. I posted my solution, perhaps in my build thread. If not there u can read about it perhaps in 1 of the other threads. If u have trouble finding it or want further clarification when the time comes and ur ready just reach out n let me know.

Tracker likes this.
  6. May 6, 2019 at 11:19 AM
    2014 Tundra Boy

2014 Tundra Boy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tundra TRD
  7. May 6, 2019 at 11:21 AM
    2014 Tundra Boy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tundra TRD
    Finally got her done. Took some effort but I’m happy with it. A little bit of a space gap but only I would notice something like that.

Tracker likes this.
  8. May 10, 2019 at 6:07 PM
    Xyleff

Xyleff New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    ‘16 SWHT CM SR5
    Is the entire bumper required to be removed for installation?

Also, difference between warn 10s and 10s platinum?

9. May 10, 2019 at 8:31 PM
    2014 Tundra Boy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tundra TRD
    Yup. You’ll have to remove the aluminum crash bar in order for the install to work. The difference is the platinum has more options than the 10s. Although they both have the same gearing

10. May 11, 2019 at 10:42 AM
    Xyleff

Xyleff New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    ‘16 SWHT CM SR5
    Thanks.

11. Jun 18, 2019 at 11:04 AM
    Beni36ti

Beni36ti New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 CrewMax
    Hi there

Finally got mine after Fedex had it for more than 3! weeks (they even sent it to another country for 2 days).

I quickly unpacked and tried to put the BD S8 lightbar on it but it did not fit (the welded brackets were placed a tiny bit too close). I was able to 'adjust' them a bit but then I realized that they where also not welded in line. As a result, the lightbar sits not correctly in place.

Anyone with that problem as well?20190618_174636.jpg

12. Jun 20, 2019 at 12:15 PM
    Beni36ti

Beni36ti New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 CrewMax
    All good, I did not see that a shim was not allowing that bar into place, sorry.

13. Oct 25, 2019 at 8:17 AM
    MaxThurst27

MaxThurst27 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD PRO Voodoo Blue!
    Anyone put this with the bull on a 19 pro?

Does it interfere with the Adaptive cruise control?

14. Feb 7, 2020 at 6:22 AM
    phogallen

phogallen My Last Mid-Life Crisis

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black 1794 Fusion Edition
    TRD Pro Grill, front bumper end caps, mirror caps and door handles blacked out. ATC Cap, Cap Pack 6 Gun Drawer, LED lights in CAP, Rhino rails on top, 12 volt accessory plugs. Weathertech floor mats, after market antenae. 45 Ceramic tint film to driver and passenger door. Coachbuilder shims ,+2 shackles, steering kit, bumper shims, Bora 1.25 wheel spacers Bilstein 5100's on mid setting. BW flares with blacked out Route 66 screws. Gloss black powder coated OEM rims and Cooper 295/70/18 Cooper ST MAXX. Tech12Volt sound system upgrade...JL C2's doors and C1's on dash, 5 channel JL amp, 2 10inch subs in custom box and DSR1 sound processor...Soundskins in doors and back wall. Trunk and body badges removed. Powder coated tow hooks red. Linex bed lining front bra film and flares along with full ceramic coat. Ceramic Pro interior plus windshield treatment. Toyota running boards and TRD anti sway bars in front and rear along with blacked out exhaust tip. TRD door latch cover plates. Full VLED light upgrade puddle, license, interior added footwell plus rear tail light brake, reverse. Added ASM turn signal LED's in front. OPT 7 tailgate light in red. Baja Design amber squadrons wc in front and SR2 Pro's in amber on rear bumper. Filmed reverse light in back, added red shackle on tow hitch and new license plate in front. Custom painted badge on tailgate. 3M crystalline on windshield and sunroof. Ceramic window film on rear seat windows. Added dirty deeds 8 inch stainless and summit racing dual tip. Soundproofed floor with foam and mass loaded vinyl. Black Bedslide added to bed. Thew the OPT 7 tailgate light in the trash and replaced with Putco Blade
    Where did you end up on the bumper shims?

15. Feb 9, 2020 at 1:32 PM
    Tracker

Tracker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Colorado, Denver Burbs
    Vehicle:
    I still haven't mounted them. I bought my winch but I am saving for the bumper.

16. Feb 10, 2020 at 1:23 PM
    rmvcard0303

rmvcard0303 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    San Gabriel Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 White Tundra TRD Sport CM
    I’d rather not list. My wife might see it.
    I'm expecting to receive my SSO Slimline bumper later this month. I'm doing some prep work now so I can be ready as soon as it gets here. I already have the CB bumper shims installed to fix the tire rub. I'd like to keep it. You say you have a solution to make it work. I did a search but was unable to find a thread. Can you give me a link to the topic? Thank you for the help.

-ray

17. Feb 13, 2020 at 5:12 PM
    Weavin Pro

Weavin Pro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD PRO
    I have the CB bumper shims also, I assume I have to lose those???
    Has anyone been waiting 3 months on this Slimline bumper? It’s starting to get pretty frustrating!

18. Feb 13, 2020 at 8:58 PM
    rmvcard0303

rmvcard0303 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    San Gabriel Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 White Tundra TRD Sport CM
    I’d rather not list. My wife might see it.
    I hope to keep the CB shims. I DMd @mgm16trdpro on this and hope to hear from him at some point.

I followed up with SSO yesterday and it seems they are running longer than the 12 weeks that they quoted. It can get frustrating but I guess this is the norm for fabricators. It'll show up at some point I guess.

19. Feb 14, 2020 at 6:35 AM
    phogallen

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro Grill, front bumper end caps, mirror caps and door handles blacked out. ATC Cap, Cap Pack 6 Gun Drawer, LED lights in CAP, Rhino rails on top, 12 volt accessory plugs. Weathertech floor mats, after market antenae. 45 Ceramic tint film to driver and passenger door. Coachbuilder shims ,+2 shackles, steering kit, bumper shims, Bora 1.25 wheel spacers Bilstein 5100's on mid setting. BW flares with blacked out Route 66 screws. Gloss black powder coated OEM rims and Cooper 295/70/18 Cooper ST MAXX. Tech12Volt sound system upgrade...JL C2's doors and C1's on dash, 5 channel JL amp, 2 10inch subs in custom box and DSR1 sound processor...Soundskins in doors and back wall. Trunk and body badges removed. Powder coated tow hooks red. Linex bed lining front bra film and flares along with full ceramic coat. Ceramic Pro interior plus windshield treatment. Toyota running boards and TRD anti sway bars in front and rear along with blacked out exhaust tip. TRD door latch cover plates. Full VLED light upgrade puddle, license, interior added footwell plus rear tail light brake, reverse. Added ASM turn signal LED's in front. OPT 7 tailgate light in red. Baja Design amber squadrons wc in front and SR2 Pro's in amber on rear bumper. Filmed reverse light in back, added red shackle on tow hitch and new license plate in front. Custom painted badge on tailgate. 3M crystalline on windshield and sunroof. Ceramic window film on rear seat windows. Added dirty deeds 8 inch stainless and summit racing dual tip. Soundproofed floor with foam and mass loaded vinyl. Black Bedslide added to bed. Thew the OPT 7 tailgate light in the trash and replaced with Putco Blade
    There is someone on here that had them and discovered the SSO had a little forward play and didn't need them....

rmvcard0303 likes this.
  20. Feb 14, 2020 at 3:07 PM
    phogallen

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    Hope that is the case but now I'm looking at the C4...

21. Feb 14, 2020 at 5:36 PM
    fundra_goes_west

fundra_goes_west I’m just a guy with a girl

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5
    I own the SSO. Do the C4. I like my SSO but they don’t do anything to support the tundra community and never will. Build a partnership with C4 they are good folk. I just ordered their sliders and my buddy’s 4R is full of C4 gear it’s legit.

22. Feb 14, 2020 at 5:41 PM
    fundra_goes_west

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5
    Their lead times are not very good v the industry. Their Tundra support is weak at best. I had to work through BD issues on my own (glad I did BD CS is legit). I don’t want to go into a bash SSO rant, because I’m happy with their product, but they have work to do. And unfortunately it doesn’t look like it will be in the tundra realm.

23. Feb 14, 2020 at 5:49 PM
    phogallen

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    It’s very nice

33EBAE46-2A59-4B91-AD2C-DE63380000D8.jpg

24. Feb 14, 2020 at 6:25 PM
    fundra_goes_west

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5
    I agree. I almost preordered it.

25. Feb 15, 2020 at 8:06 AM
    Weavin Pro

Weavin Pro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD PRO
    I have owned DeMello, All Pro, and Expedition One bumpers in the past...all small Owner operated type businesses...and never have waited over 3 months for a product. SSO is getting ridiculous. Sending emails saying the bumper is with our welders and should just be a few days....that was 3 weeks ago. I didn’t want a full bumper replacement this time, and SSO seems like an awesome choice, but this wait time is stupid!

fundra_goes_west and rmvcard0303 like this.
  26. Feb 15, 2020 at 8:45 AM
    phogallen

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    Has anyone talked to the owner....this forum is not the place for these types of discussions to be happening.

fundra_goes_west likes this.
  27. Feb 15, 2020 at 9:58 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Hey buddy, I just replied via your message. Check out post 533 of my build. Hope this helps.

28. Feb 15, 2020 at 9:59 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Yeah definitely call and speak to Kevin. He's a good guy and will resolve with ya.

29. Feb 15, 2020 at 11:42 AM
    Weavin Pro

Weavin Pro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD PRO
    I always think it’s funny when people post comments like this....this is exactly what the forum is for! Yes, I have been in contact with SSO twice! Forum members need to know when companies have issues, so they can select who they want to make purchases through, to spend a good chunk of their hard earned money. Maybe if I would have read a post like this, I would have chosen a different product? Or maybe you could then call a vendor ahead of time to get production info...instead of waiting 4 months!

ZappBrannigan likes this.
  30. Feb 15, 2020 at 12:36 PM
    phogallen

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    It’s obviously made a difference....all I needed to know. Folks like this think they have enough business until they don’t. Imagine how long it would be with a group buy let alone black friday.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020

Products Discussed in

To Top