1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SSO Slimline Bumper - Install and First Impressions

Discussion in 'Recovery & Gear' started by Cemented, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Jan 31, 2019 at 9:47 PM
    BehindenemylinesCali

BehindenemylinesCali New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    NORCAL
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    Locker Down console safe Bakflip MX4 Spray in bed Bilstein 6112 Bilstein 5160 2019 TRD Pro wheels
    Thanks.

2. Jan 31, 2019 at 9:53 PM
    kcaustin66

kcaustin66 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    Palestine Texas (East Texas)
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tundra CM 1794 4wd
    3” lift, black step bars, aftermarket wheels, LT305/55R20 was this way when I brought it.
    I don’t have a need for a winch, but this really looks sharp

3. Feb 1, 2019 at 4:25 AM
    3mxdivr

3mxdivr New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited Crewmax TRD Off Road
    You can install any winch with the same bolt pattern and footprint as the Warn Zeon 10 or 12. (or you have to re drill mounting holes) I went the Warn Zeon Platinum 12s route because i did not want the access holes by the hawse fairlead (center). With that said, the Zeon did not need holes to disengage the clutch since it is wireless.

4. Feb 1, 2019 at 5:02 AM
    3mxdivr

3mxdivr New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Correct..... If I do it again, i would have probably went with the access holes and gone with a cheaper winch. You save money on the winch and still looks awesome like OPs first pic.

5. Feb 2, 2019 at 5:05 AM
    2014 Tundra Boy

2014 Tundra Boy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tundra TRD
    I will say that my WARN VR 12S matched up perfectly with the bolt pattern. From my understanding a lot of newer WARN winches will line up

6. Feb 2, 2019 at 6:46 AM
    brimy311

brimy311 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Kalamazoo
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    All bottom foot mounted winches use a 10”x4.5” bolt pattern.

Tundyfundy and mgm16trdpro like this.
  7. Feb 2, 2019 at 5:31 PM
    2014 Tundra Boy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tundra TRD
  8. Feb 6, 2019 at 11:27 AM
    terrier72

terrier72 New Member

Member:
    Might be a crazy question but is there any benefit besides looks and light mounting that the bull bar adds

9. Feb 6, 2019 at 12:36 PM
    InfernoPRO

InfernoPRO Technicolor BASTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno TRD PRO
    Well the simplest answer is it adds the protection of a bull bar. It helps protect your radiator if you were to ever hit an animal in the backroads. Hitting a deer can puncture your radiator and leave you stranded.

Tundyfundy and mgm16trdpro like this.
  10. Feb 6, 2019 at 10:44 PM
    ZappBrannigan

ZappBrannigan The mind is willing but the flesh is weak

Member:
    Canada, by way of Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2018 1794 MGM
    NVS light bar
    So does this require completely getting rid of the stock crash bar? I sure do love this thing... but I also rather like crash tested protection for my kids.

11. Feb 6, 2019 at 10:52 PM
    mgm16trdpro

mgm16trdpro Certified Modoholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    Yes it does remove stock crash bar. I have kids too but feel comfortable doing it because the strength of the bumper is probably more solid than the stock crash bar. I would guess it offers more protection than the stock crash bar imo.

12. Feb 7, 2019 at 10:59 AM
    itsdchz

itsdchz 50statesoverland

Member:
    Clovis, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM Cement 4x4
    Icon, UCAs, Method, SSO, KB VOODOO, Skids and Sliders
    I have the Smittybilt wireless and did no access holes. I have an 18 with the same sensor and 26K miles later, no issues....

13. Feb 7, 2019 at 11:00 AM
    itsdchz

itsdchz 50statesoverland

Member:
    Clovis, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM Cement 4x4
    YES you are correct. I did not use WARN. Smittybilt XRC20 Competition

14. Feb 7, 2019 at 11:04 AM
    3mxdivr

3mxdivr New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    How do you disengage the clutch? What hole does your hand/finger go through?

15. Feb 7, 2019 at 11:10 AM
    itsdchz

itsdchz 50statesoverland

Member:
    Clovis, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM Cement 4x4
    I do not disengage, I reverse the spool to let out the slack. Slower yes, but I really didnt like those god awful holes...

16. Feb 7, 2019 at 11:23 AM
    RoninPro

RoninPro Abecedarian BASTRD

Member:
    East Bay
    Vehicle:
    17 CM TRD Pro
    Smittybuilt X2O with SDHQ hidden winch bumper. Had to cut a couple of slots to access the clutch and On/Off switch. Not the SSO bumper, but it can be done.

8032C24C-CB09-48EA-8CDE-084E35618624.jpg

Tundyfundy likes this.
  17. Feb 7, 2019 at 11:25 AM
    3mxdivr

3mxdivr New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    yup with the SDHQ you can do it, but not with the SSO.... that's why i was asking how he disengaged. Thanks!

before i bought the SSO, i did call SDHQ if i could squeeze in a light bar, but they said No, so went the SSO route.

18. Mar 31, 2019 at 7:37 PM
    epicxcrider

epicxcrider New Member

Member:
    Eastside Seattle
    Anyone install a warn integrated winch in an SSO bumper? I've got an XD9000i I'd rather not get rid of, but it's hard to tell from pictures if it will fit.

19. Mar 31, 2019 at 9:02 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    You're best bet is to ask Kevin, the owner of SSO. He's great guy and very knowledgeable. I have a warn platinum zeon 10s in my slimline hybrid OEM bumper. I know in my OEM version of the bumper I had to use the warn relocate kit. However, I also know they make a version of the bumper with access holes so that many other types of winches could be used. A specific brand winch question I'm guessing would be best asking him. I'm guessing he will more than likely know the answer. That's probably you're next best bet to finding someone who successfully installed that specific winch. Hope this helps. It may not answer your question immediately for sure, but at least it may help if you don't find someone with that winch that's done it. I'm guessing I at least pointed you in the direction to where you can find your next best answer to someone who has. Good luck.
    20190315_121245.jpg

aperezsh likes this.
  20. Apr 2, 2019 at 11:30 AM
    epicxcrider

epicxcrider New Member

Member:
    Eastside Seattle
    Thanks, I shot him an e-mail. I have the version with access cutouts but no light bar, so there might be a chance :)

mgm16trdpro likes this.
  21. Apr 6, 2019 at 7:01 PM
    CyberViking

CyberViking New Member

Member:
    The Ozarks
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport
    These look really good but the lead time is something to be desired...last I checked it was 10 weeks.

22. Apr 6, 2019 at 7:52 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Yeah it takes a bit of time to get in hand from order. I was 1 of the very first people to get 1 for the tundra so I was actually getting afraid I was being scammed not knowing at first lol. The way i feel about it, hey long as i know upfront, and I'm not on any time crunch for some reason, i can handle the wait knowing that good things come to those that wait. I much rather wait longer for a very high quality custom made piece, over getting some mass produced piece of crap in a week or so. Plus there's something to be said about paying for something and knowing from that moment, the work is just starting on your very own custom bumper. I'm very happy with mine. Cant say enough good about it.

Plus this post they made below is pretty damn cool of them too.

Screenshot_20190406-173939_Facebook.jpg

aperezsh likes this.
  23. Apr 6, 2019 at 8:01 PM
    CyberViking

CyberViking New Member

Member:
    The Ozarks
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport
    I agree the quality is there and it's a good company but I don't have the patience to wait! But I'm part of the "gotta have it now" generation. When I have the extra cash for a bumper I'll probably just buy one that's ready to be shipped. If not I'll buy it, i'll get it in x weeks, and then it'll sit in the garage until I have time for it. Whereas an assembled bumper I can get it when I'm ready to work on it.

aperezsh likes this.
  24. Apr 6, 2019 at 9:11 PM
    ZappBrannigan

ZappBrannigan The mind is willing but the flesh is weak

Member:
    Canada, by way of Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2018 1794 MGM
    NVS light bar
    “Need” is a very subjective term...

mgm16trdpro likes this.
  25. Apr 6, 2019 at 10:30 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    I hear ya, I'm just trying to help ya out. Trust me, I have a ton of different products from many different manufacturers on my truck. For example ici side steps. They also make mass produced bumpers just like their steps. No offense to anyone who has one, but u couldn't pay me to put on 1 of their bumpers. If I did it would look horrible on the front of my truck. I now have 2 of their steps. The first was really rusting. I even covered them in linex and I can still see little parts of rust trying to come through. It's made from cheap Chinese steel that's high in other metals content. It's strong like stainless steel, but it don't have the anti rust properties like good stainless steel should have. The sso bumper on the other hand, nothing but p.c. on it, no need for linex. 2 years and not even a hint of rust. That's the difference. This bumper is built to last. The last thing I want to do is spend tons of money on a very high quality winch and lightbar and in case them in a rust bucket, ultimately possibly causing them to fail due to the shit bumper that houses them.

So if u rather spend around the same amount of money to get a shit product quickly over waiting to get a very high quality product, be my guest. Me I'm going to wait the extra time, do it once, and do it right. I'm not trying to install a bumper, then have to take it all apart again due to rust issues. I'm also not going to put my other expensive products at risk either over getting them quickly. Not to mention, why spend all that money, probably somewhere around the same amount of money, for a product that's going to rust and fall apart, losing it's integrity, causing damage to other parts, and a whole bunch other bad shit, plus have to take it off only after a year or two and replace it with something else better, do it all over again, because you chose to get something cheaply made quickly, over waiting to get a far superior product and never have to worry about it or ever do it all over again? Me I'm going to chose to wait a couple extra weeks and do it right once every single time.

Trust me, I'm speaking from experience, age, and wisdom, do it once and do it right. Who gives a shit if u gotta wait a couple extra weeks to get it. I much rather wait knowing that once I get it, I made the right choice, I got my hands on after the wait a far superior product that's going to last the life of the truck, maybe even outlive the truck. If something happened to my truck there's no way I'm leaving the bumper on it. It's going onto the next truck. If I had an ici bumper, or 1 of these other mass produced, get off the shelf bumpers that you seem to covet simply bc u can get it quickly and something happened I wouldn't even waste my time removing it. I'd leave it on there because it's not even worth removing to put onto the next truck. I'd chalk that loss up to a tough lesson learned. Do as u want, ur truck, ur money, I'm just trying to help you out and keep u from making an expensive mistake. As u can tell I love my sso bumper, u couldn't pay me to put on an ici or any other cheaply made mass produced bumper on.

Just ask the guys who live in a cold climate area with those mass produced get quick bumpers. Anyone who has had them for a year or longer, ask if they would recommend them. Ask for a pic. They're probably not going to want to show u pics of them unless they have already removed them at least once in an attempt to correct the way they look due to massive rust issues. They're just not the same. Again, I'm not bashing anyone who owns those bumpers. Like I said I own just like their mass produced bumpers, the mass produced side steps from ici. Trust me from experience having bought from both sides. You're way better off, break the I want it now generation mold. You'll thank me later.

Good luck either way in your choice.

gjcarving and fundra_goes_west like this.
  26. Apr 6, 2019 at 10:33 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Fyi, u can get it without the winch cutout too. Just the lightbar cutout looks great too. I've seen them with both, either, or neither and they all look great.

27. Apr 7, 2019 at 5:44 PM
    2014 Tundra Boy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tundra TRD
    Well said sir! I’m still trying to get time to put mine on. I’ve got the bumper and winch. Just need the time. I’ll admit I need to get creative on finding a spot for the winch solenoid

mgm16trdpro likes this.
  28. Apr 7, 2019 at 6:05 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    20180414_191714.jpg

Mines to the right of paper towels.
    20171208_152417.jpg

Maybe this helps give u an idea.
    20170820_095935.jpg

Good luck.

rharries likes this.
  29. Apr 7, 2019 at 7:54 PM
    InfernoPRO

InfernoPRO Technicolor BASTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno TRD PRO
    Which winch did you go with? I got the X20. Had plenty of room off to the side.234D0139-7125-447A-8252-3AFDFEA35C22.jpg

rharries and mgm16trdpro like this.
  30. Apr 8, 2019 at 5:22 PM
    Justin.TX

Justin.TX South Texas Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra TSS CM
    Ummm. Stuff
    This week was actually a huge disappointment to me regarding Southern Style Off road. I found out about them right after last fathers day and fell in love with their receiver hitch bumper. I called and spoke with them about it and it's rating and couldn't have been more impressed. It being a want more than a need I waited until tax return. I called to order it this week and now they no longer make it. It's not their fault if it wasn't selling but they wont even make one custom order which I still understand but it royally sucks.

Products Discussed in

To Top