1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SSO Slimline Bumper - Install and First Impressions

Discussion in 'Recovery & Gear' started by Cemented, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Dec 26, 2018 at 3:39 PM
    Hammerdog

Hammerdog YCMTSUP

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    Louisa VA
    Vehicle:
    2018 tundra sport crew max
    Tint Bed cover Red Tow Hooks TRD Intake 7 inch BDS 22x12’s 35 Toyo’s Rigid ditch lights RC light bar in bottom grille One bad ass stereo
    Looks nice!

2. Dec 26, 2018 at 3:52 PM
    3mxdivr

3mxdivr New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited Crewmax TRD Off Road
    Awesome, you won’t be disappointed. Plus Catlin from SSO was awesome to deal with.

3. Dec 26, 2018 at 6:34 PM
    2014 Tundra Boy

2014 Tundra Boy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tundra TRD
    I’m still waiting for mine that ordered last month. It’s in the fabrication process at the moment. Feeling stoked.

mgm16trdpro likes this.
  4. Dec 26, 2018 at 7:36 PM
    InfernoPRO

InfernoPRO Technicolor BASTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno TRD PRO
    FYI the SSO is only rated for 10k. I am sure the 12k winch wouldn’t hurt. Just make sure you are not going to push the limit of the bumper.

GodlessPro likes this.
  5. Dec 26, 2018 at 8:16 PM
    3mxdivr

3mxdivr New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Actually it is rated for 10k - 12k winch per spec. So all good.

D21E0D7A-6BD2-4B61-9681-F5F8CDA800FC.jpg

6. Dec 26, 2018 at 8:50 PM
    mgm16trdpro

mgm16trdpro Certified Modoholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    No worries brother, your welcome. I think u will love it. I know I do. Time to be patient now bc it does take a bit to get in hand. But good things come to those that wait lol. Honestly I'm surprised just how well it is holding up in my area of use.

7. Dec 26, 2018 at 8:51 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    It's worth the wait imo. Post pics when u install.

8. Dec 27, 2018 at 6:22 AM
    2014 Tundra Boy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tundra TRD
  9. Jan 25, 2019 at 6:04 PM
    2014 Tundra Boy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tundra TRD
    Just received my SSO bumper but was wondering if the mounting tabs to the frame are slightly off. In other words, does one slightly angle up compared to the other side?

10. Jan 25, 2019 at 7:09 PM
    InfernoPRO

InfernoPRO Technicolor BASTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno TRD PRO
    The bumper should be symmetrical. Can you post up a picture?

GodlessPro likes this.
  11. Jan 25, 2019 at 7:29 PM
    2014 Tundra Boy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tundra TRD
  12. Jan 25, 2019 at 7:33 PM
    2014 Tundra Boy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tundra TRD
    The tab on the right is slightly up. I didn’t see any damage to it nor is there any scuff or damage to the powder coating. Nothing to indicate that is dropped. I thought I saw a someone on here with a similar photo. I may be wrong but I thought so. The packing is remarkable and there is no damage to the shipping box to indicate damage. I dunno

13. Jan 25, 2019 at 8:28 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Might have got bent in shipping. If I remember correctly I had the same happen. Had to take a rubber mallet to it, get it to bend back a bit. Think I was also able to get some flex back to it by hand too. Pushed the hell out of it to bend it back a bit.

14. Jan 25, 2019 at 8:28 PM
    gjcarving

gjcarving New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the really great write up! Really wish they made this for the Gen 2! Awhile back I was in contact with them and they told me it was coming. But, that was 8-10 months ago. Hope they decide to do it as I think a lot of Gen 2 owners would go for this. I would in a heartbeat!

mgm16trdpro likes this.
  15. Jan 25, 2019 at 8:31 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Yeah that's exactly what happened to mine too. U can push real hard by hand and probably bend it back. That's what I did. Used a rubber mallet at 1st and then tried bending by hand. I was able to get it to bend back by hand.

16. Jan 25, 2019 at 8:35 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Yup same exact happened to mine. If the carriers dont follow instructions about which side up, the weight of the bumper will shift and put pressure on it bending it up like that. It's not a big deal, rest assured, same exact happened to me. At first I laid it flat on my carpeted garage floor, so I could hit it with a rubber mallet to bend it back. That worked, but j found it easier just to break out the ol hulk strength and just bend it back by hand. Both sides when done should look the same on same angles. Hope this helps.

17. Jan 25, 2019 at 8:39 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Read the 4th paragraph down from the very start of my install thread.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/war...southern-style-offroad-slimline-bumper.16136/

18. Jan 26, 2019 at 5:12 AM
    2014 Tundra Boy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tundra TRD
    Ok I don’t feel so mortified now. Thanks fellas. As my father always says “a little bit of beat f**k and it’ll even out”.

Sas and mgm16trdpro like this.
  19. Jan 26, 2019 at 5:35 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Glad to help. I remember I had same feeling at 1st, so I can relate.

20. Jan 26, 2019 at 7:12 AM
    fundra_goes_west

fundra_goes_west I’m just a guy with a girl

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2022 SQ8
  21. Jan 26, 2019 at 8:41 AM
    2014 Tundra Boy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tundra TRD
    Fixed it. Easy fix although I do wish the jokers at fedex or any other shipping company would be considerate and not thrash things about.

mgm16trdpro likes this.
  22. Jan 27, 2019 at 1:04 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Glad to hear you easily got it back to where it should be, I remember it being an easy fix too. I'll admit though, I was bugging when I first saw it.

*****Anyone considering this purchase, should read this next paragraph below, I think it's important for me to mention this.*****

At that time, so early into the release of the bumper for the Tundra, I was 1 of the first people to purchase it. I didnt have anyone else to possibly lean on that could ease my concern. I forget, it was a while ago, but I either called or emailed the company around 2 am on a weekend figuring I'd leave a message to hopefully be returned on a business day during the next week. I was blown away when the owner, a couple minutes later, immediately responded to ease my concerns. That meant a lot to me and should give anyone considering this purchase some peace of mind that you're doing business with a great guy, someone who cares about their customers, someone who's willing to go above and beyond to make sure their customers are happy with their purchase. He also told me that if for whatever reason I wasn't satisfied with the way it turned out he was willing to stand behind his product. His level of customer service blew me away and I thought that was important enough for me to mention to others considering making the same purchase.

I also remember saying the same thing too about the people who deliver our goods. I guess things as simple as fragile or this side up means nothing when you're delivering so many boxes day in and out. Unfortunately some delivery people just treat it as just another box in their way of getting home. Not all, but some.

aperezsh, fliberto38 and ColoradoTJ like this.
  23. Jan 27, 2019 at 1:18 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I would so buy one of these bumpers. Really like the factory look.

mgm16trdpro likes this.
  24. Jan 27, 2019 at 2:00 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    zrKAEha.jpg

I love so many things about it.

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Jan 27, 2019 at 2:07 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Well, I would have to spend another 35,000.00 and get a Tundra.....

mgm16trdpro[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. Jan 27, 2019 at 2:11 AM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Guess that makes sense, I didn't see the white 3500 in vehicle field until u mentioned it. Well.....................

zrKAEha.jpg

Lol

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Jan 27, 2019 at 6:08 AM
    3mxdivr

3mxdivr New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Love mine!!!!!!

89A9E7D2-C383-4AD4-8C65-41E4FA83FEA3.jpg

excelw, 773_eddie, cravingame and 6 others like this.
  28. Jan 27, 2019 at 8:49 AM
    2014 Tundra Boy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tundra TRD
    WOW looks amazing

29. Jan 31, 2019 at 9:26 PM
    BehindenemylinesCali

BehindenemylinesCali New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    NORCAL
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    Locker Down console safe Bakflip MX4 Spray in bed Bilstein 6112 Bilstein 5160 2019 TRD Pro wheels
    New to this so here's my stupid question. Does that that slime bumper come with a wrench?

30. Jan 31, 2019 at 9:27 PM
    3mxdivr

3mxdivr New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Negative. You have to buy a winch.

Products Discussed in

To Top