1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sparks Color Matched Grille, Surround and Bulge - Durability Issues

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Boisefly, Jun 1, 2022.

1. Jun 1, 2022 at 11:33 AM
    Boisefly

Boisefly [OP] New Member

Member:
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle:
    2014 Crewmax 1794 4WD
    You guys noticed that your grille surround has started to show rock chips? I have only had my Sparks grille surround, grille and hood bluge installed for about 5 months. I rarely travel on the freeway or at high speeds and have already 10-15 rocks chips on the surround? I can see white primer underneath. Pretty dissappointed as none of the other factory painted areas on the front have experienced this. Seems like the paint is incredibly thin.

2. Jun 1, 2022 at 1:09 PM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    Thats one of the issues of colormatch vs chrome, can chip from sand, rocks, even bugs and the chips are easier to see. I surely had chips and nicks in the chrome items I removed but it is much harder to notice on the chrome stuff.

I have the similar setup, TRD pro colormatched front, also from sparks and installed about the same time as you, on the truck about 6 months. I dont see any issues with mine but I am sure I could locate a chip or two if I hunted. Unsure if there is any paint warranty on the items, may be worth a call to sparks or you can chat with them online at their website.

Chips and small marks from driving at speed is unavoidable. You could maybe cut some PPF and install it on the hotspots taking the most hits. Yes, you are correct, paint on parts and vehicles is thin these days. You can burn through new vehicle finish in a matter of seconds with a polisher if you don't pay attention.

Boisefly[OP] and HulkSmurf14 like this.
  3. Sep 23, 2022 at 3:17 AM
    737fixer

737fixer New Member

Member:
    Also, since the grill on the 2022 is the size of a 4-car garage it will also pick up many more rock chips.

4. Sep 23, 2022 at 3:46 AM
    JDM FTW

JDM FTW New Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 AG Limited TRDOR
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Products Discussed in

To Top