1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sound matting worth it?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Stumpjumper, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Apr 26, 2019 at 6:49 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    I have completed all of my sound deadening minus the roof. Took me almost a year in stages. Finished up a stereo install last week and while I was at it, I did noico, reflective insulation, closed cell foam, and mass loaded vinyl under the front seats, foot wells, and center console areas. So I have full coverage of all of those materials on the floors, doors, and back wall. It's really mad e a huge difference in road noise. What really made me realize how much noise it kills is the fact that my new stereo absolutely slams and is LOUD, but you can not hear it from outside the truck with the doors and windows closed. I would have expected to hear the subs bumping and some rattles and whatnot but to be honest, from the outside of the truck you would NOT know I have a subwoofer in there and definitely not a high end stereo system. I highly recommend doing all these steps, the mass loaded vinyl makes the biggest difference killing the majority of the noise. Some day I will install some kind of foam skin to the roof and maybe firewall cuz all I can hear is my engine and rain on the roof. I have to drop the back window to here my dirty deeds BAmuffler now

GAknight, TheBeast, JoshuaA and 2 others like this.
  2. May 1, 2019 at 4:54 PM
    CenTexTundra

CenTexTundra New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Limited
    BDS 7" Coilover lift; BDS UCAs 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers; 20" Fuel Tactic Wheels Smittybilt 10k Winch; Smittybilt M1 Bumpers WeatherTech Mats; EPS Rear Vault, TRD Pro Grille Genesis Offroad Dual Battery (Optimas)
    Just getting started on this fellas. Manged to get the first front door done this evening (this pic was only at the half way mark). I think I'll tackle the drivers door in the morning, then the rear door and back wall this weekend...just in time for the Tech12Volts system to arrive on Monday!
    IMG_0251.jpg

3. May 2, 2019 at 6:18 PM
    CenTexTundra

CenTexTundra New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Limited
    BDS 7" Coilover lift; BDS UCAs 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers; 20" Fuel Tactic Wheels Smittybilt 10k Winch; Smittybilt M1 Bumpers WeatherTech Mats; EPS Rear Vault, TRD Pro Grille Genesis Offroad Dual Battery (Optimas)
    Passenger side completed this morning and I definitely noticed a huge improvement in sound quality with the stock system so the upgraded sound system should really sound good. Doors feel more solid and the truck as a whole is quieter. Can't wait to get the rest of it done this weekend!

Trooper2 and Pudge like this.
  4. May 2, 2019 at 7:47 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Nice job man. I really think the sound deadening is one of the best things I did to my truck. Just having the doors feel and sound so solid when closing them was worth it. But the decreased road noise and sound system improvements are pretty nice too. I have put on several hours of work, a couple hundred pounds worth of material, and a lot of planning into my sound matting. I do think the mass loaded vinyl is the most important and makes the biggest difference and would absolutely do it all over again. Now I just need to do my roof with something this summer.

Trooper2 and JoshuaA like this.
  5. May 2, 2019 at 8:03 PM
    Beastmode1794

Beastmode1794 Masshole

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 tundra 1794 edition smoked misquite
    20190428_235200.jpg got all this ready to go in this weekend!!!

6. May 2, 2019 at 8:13 PM
    TuFerLife

TuFerLife New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    3" Toytec Eibach coilovers with .5" coachbuilder shims and Coachbuilder +3 shackles, JBA Upper Control Arms, Fuel Assault 20x10 -18 offset on 35x12.50 Cooper ST Maxx, Amp research stepbars, JBA Long tube headers, custom mid pipes and TRD Replacement exhaust system by Dirty Deeds, TRD Black Chrome Tailpipes, Bullit liner spray in liner, S&B CAI, Katzkin leather with Degreez heated and cooling system, Husky floorliners, Coachbuilder roof rack with 13 Rigid pods and Switchpro switch, TRD skid plate, Pop-N-Lock, Auto Tailgate down mod, Rattletrap sound deadener in headliner and door panels. Kenwood DDX 9906XR headunit with full Tech 12 volts sound system and dash cam.
    8EAAC402-5CAA-42A4-B02E-FEE128275E53_zps_c33a16222c520aba0c07bacb3ce338aa8bab203f.jpg

I did my headliner because this thing was so loud...

4CA357FB-C73A-455B-AF92-5C627805735E_zps_740c7d91172f5d12953bd46013f976840f43c060.jpg

Made a pretty big difference though... looking forward to tackling the doors next!

CenTexTundra, Pudge and Trooper2 like this.
  7. May 2, 2019 at 8:36 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Nice job on the headliner. How was it? Did you take it all the way down? I hear it's a real bitch to do

TuFerLife[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. May 2, 2019 at 8:43 PM
    TuFerLife

TuFerLife New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    3" Toytec Eibach coilovers with .5" coachbuilder shims and Coachbuilder +3 shackles, JBA Upper Control Arms, Fuel Assault 20x10 -18 offset on 35x12.50 Cooper ST Maxx, Amp research stepbars, JBA Long tube headers, custom mid pipes and TRD Replacement exhaust system by Dirty Deeds, TRD Black Chrome Tailpipes, Bullit liner spray in liner, S&B CAI, Katzkin leather with Degreez heated and cooling system, Husky floorliners, Coachbuilder roof rack with 13 Rigid pods and Switchpro switch, TRD skid plate, Pop-N-Lock, Auto Tailgate down mod, Rattletrap sound deadener in headliner and door panels. Kenwood DDX 9906XR headunit with full Tech 12 volts sound system and dash cam.
    Thanks man... it definitely sucked butt. I broke a couple of the tabs on the grab handles of the B pillars, and cursed a lot while doing it. It was definitely a 2 man job... probably took me and my brother in law 6 hours from start to finish.

I pulled everything down except disconnecting the wires that were coming from the mirror. So the headliner definitely dropped, but I didn’t take it all the way out. So working around it made it suck even more.

Soooooo glad it’s done, but it’s not a job I would look forward to doing again. Haha

GAknight and Pudge[QUOTED] like this.
  9. May 2, 2019 at 8:46 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Well that confirms even more that it does indeed suck. Ugh I really don't wanna do this job. Very unlikely I'll have a helper too

TheBeast and TuFerLife[QUOTED] like this.
  10. May 2, 2019 at 8:53 PM
    TuFerLife

TuFerLife New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    I’m here for the encouragement, lol. I mean it could probably be done as a 1 man job... but, holding it above your head, trying to line it up right without it sticking to everything, etc... was the main reason I say it’s a 2 man job.

Plus I just like working on my truck... I’m probably being a little pessimistic because we decided to start at 10pm... you can do the math to figure out when we got done. :rofl:

11. May 3, 2019 at 4:04 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Been using some low cost options that work really well. Hello Fresh food delivery box insulation is a perfect OEM fittment along with Big Box Butyl deadener.

upload_2019-5-3_7-2-55.jpg

upload_2019-5-3_7-3-55.jpg

CenTexTundra likes this.
  12. May 3, 2019 at 6:30 AM
    CenTexTundra

CenTexTundra New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Limited
    Thanks man. I totally agree, I'm still blown away at how much just doing the front doors so far has helped. I was looking at some of the MLV on Amazon last night but right now the race is on to get the matting done before the Tech12Volts shipment arrives on Monday. I think I will end up doing the whole meal deal with the MLV/CCF before its all said and done, I'm a believer!!

Pudge[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. May 3, 2019 at 12:23 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Its definitely time consuming and can get expensive but in the long run its worth it. I list did under the whole center console area and that made a huge improvement.

14. May 3, 2019 at 12:27 PM
    Ynot_tonY

Ynot_tonY Merciful

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Baby mods doo doo doo doo doo doo
    Audio/Lift/Tires
    Hey while yall are sound matting I would recommend putting some on the door panels. I have finally broken my upgrades in enough to turn them up louder and have noticed some rattles. When I put my hand on the panel and press they go away. You probably dont need 100% coverage.

Just some food for though.

CenTexTundra likes this.
  15. May 3, 2019 at 1:38 PM
    CenTexTundra

CenTexTundra New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Limited
    For sure! But I agree that its worth it, just finished one rear door. When these doors all come off again next week for the stereo install I think I will look for a few more opportunities to tighten things up a bit. I re-taped all the wiring with tesla tape (I think that's what they call the black fabric tape) and even covered the plastic clip heads with that tape where they slide into the door clips. Not sure if that last one makes much difference but I read it somewhere.
    Passreardoor.jpg

GAknight, Pudge[QUOTED] and JoshuaA like this.
  16. May 3, 2019 at 1:40 PM
    Ynot_tonY

Ynot_tonY Merciful

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Baby mods doo doo doo doo doo doo
    Audio/Lift/Tires
    @CenTexTundra while you're in there throw some strips on the door panels. Learn from my mistakes!

Pudge and CenTexTundra like this.
  17. May 3, 2019 at 1:48 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    I would do it again on another vehicle even if I didn't upgrade the sound system. I only have my doors and back wall done and without music on, road noise is definitely reduced, my family noticed it too. And now that I have speakers with much more clarity, I can't wait to get in and listen to stuff I didn't hear before in music tracks. Sound matting is in my top 5 mods.

Pudge likes this.
  18. May 3, 2019 at 1:52 PM
    CenTexTundra

CenTexTundra New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Limited
    Thanks, I will do that. Did you follow any specific pattern or placement?

19. May 3, 2019 at 1:55 PM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    Curious if you sprayed some kind of "Bed Liner in a rattle can", how it might compare? Thinking for the roof, it may be easier to just spray it. Maybe even the doors and back wall.

Any Thoughts?

20. May 3, 2019 at 1:59 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    Not my pic, I added the red arrows, 2 single large strips as far as my hands could get in there, wore gloves and long sleeve. Then panel coverage like yours.

IMG_1520.jpg

GAknight and Pudge like this.
  21. May 3, 2019 at 2:03 PM
    CenTexTundra

CenTexTundra New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Limited
    Oh yah, I did the inside of the door...I was thinking you meant you also placed some on the inside of the plastic door panel. My bad!

JoshuaA[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. May 3, 2019 at 2:05 PM
    CenTexTundra

CenTexTundra New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Limited
    I'm curious about that too, sure would save some time!

23. May 3, 2019 at 2:08 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    Ynot might have, I didn't. I had to get pretty creative rolling it down in tight spots inside those doors.

You're gonna love the deadening experience when all done!

24. May 3, 2019 at 2:14 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    did phase 1 stereo upgrade few months back i.e ran new wires everywhere, new speakers and sound matting. NOICO brand from Amazon been great so far.

soon to start phase 2: new Alpine HU and maybe new Alpine amp

CenTexTundra, JoshuaA and Trooper2 like this.
  25. May 3, 2019 at 2:18 PM
    vl184009

vl184009 Cheers Boys!

Member:
    First Name:
    Vicky
    Southern, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM CM SR5 4x4 w/Tow Pkg
    Question..I live in the desert, and it gets freakin HOT out here as in 120 degrees easy. do you think there is a possibility of this stuff melting or getting loose and sticky when applied to the inside of the door like that?

26. May 3, 2019 at 2:40 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    Use a non-asphalt based deadener with max heat resistance like Dynamat 10455 Xtreme.

https://10carbest.com/best-car-sound-deadening-mat

Pudge likes this.
  27. May 3, 2019 at 2:43 PM
    vl184009

vl184009 Cheers Boys!

Member:
    First Name:
    Vicky
    Southern, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM CM SR5 4x4 w/Tow Pkg
  28. May 3, 2019 at 4:10 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I did put some noico on my inner plastic door panels. Even after doing all I did I noticed a few rattles, and was able to eliminate all of them by doing that. I don't have many good pics of that process. I did it when I did my new speakers.

They do make a spray sound deadening. I think it's called lizard skin. Seems to have mixed reviews. Bed liner wouldn't work well because it turns very hard when it cures, for deadening you want soft or rubbery materials.

20190302_182549.jpg
    20190302_184042.jpg

29. May 3, 2019 at 4:15 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I always wondered if the sound mat material would be an issue if your car/truck catch on fire ? would it be more hazardous ?

30. May 3, 2019 at 4:26 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    No need to put tons of matting every square inch. Key strategic spacing is best. Add some small weatherstrips around your lock tabs holes and speakers to act as ‘stand offs’ when the panel goes back on. Separates the vibrations from transferring.

Butyl inside the doors (on both sides can’t see in pic).

upload_2019-5-3_19-24-5.jpg

To Top