1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sonar System Problem?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by 70runner, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Jan 10, 2018 at 1:06 PM
    70runner

70runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 1794 Sunset Bronze CM
    TRD Pro Grille/Headlights TRD Dual Exhaust LineX Color Matched Bed TRD Rear Sway Bar 20x9 Ballistic Wizards & 285/55R20 Michelin LTX AT2 Blackout Mirror Inserts-Door Handles-Emblems
    2014 1794, recent left rear bumper encounter with stationary object. Had to replace left metal reinforcement support and bumper plastic end cap. Drove truck while waiting for parts. No sonar issues. Received parts, transferred object sensor (box which mounts on reinforcement) and left rear sensor to new end cap. Now I'm greeted with following message at startup, "CHECK SONAR SYSTEM, SEE DEALER, with 2 sensor positions (left rear and ctr rear) highlighted.

[​IMG]

After a few seconds the display changes to all 5 sensors highlighted with same message.

[​IMG]

Hooked up techstream and got U0232 trouble code:

[​IMG]

Ran utility with following result:

[​IMG]

Following test resulted in BSM outside mirror indicator on right side only, no indicator on left.

[​IMG]

Can anyone help me translate this? Do I need to replace the left rear and center rear sensors? I had to transfer both of them when the left bumper end and reinforcement were replaced, the center rear because the bumper cover had to come off to access mounting bolts.

2. Jan 12, 2018 at 8:08 PM
    70runner

70runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 1794 Sunset Bronze CM
    TRD Pro Grille/Headlights TRD Dual Exhaust LineX Color Matched Bed TRD Rear Sway Bar 20x9 Ballistic Wizards & 285/55R20 Michelin LTX AT2 Blackout Mirror Inserts-Door Handles-Emblems
    Followup, for folks that have BSM and parking assist...

Unable to clear the trouble code with V9.30 techstream, so took it to dealer. There were 2 issues, BSM and parking sensors. The BSM, once unplugged, apparently has to be reset to enable communication between the 2 modules. This was the trouble code noted above. So for bumper repairs, do not unplug the BSM module if possible. Although I should add, even with the trouble code, the BSM was functioning on both sides.

The first pic above shows 2 parking sensors and dealer confirmed both were bad by swapping with good ones. Oddly, no trouble code appeared on my techstream for this. These were the 2 disconnected for the bumper repair. They tried to calibrate but could not, so they had to be replaced, at about $250/per! Plus they remove the rear bumper for replacement (couple hours labor = $$$). Then test and calibrate. Again, for bumper repairs, try not to unplug these sensors if possible.

The service manager handling my case was fairly fluent in the parking sensor domain. So I probed him a bit. Looking on ebay, I see these Denso sensors for $50/pair. Given the dealer cost for these, it would be cost effective to buy the sensor cheap, DIY replace it, and see if that clears the error display. I asked him this directly. He said that's what he would do. If error doesn't clear, then likely a matter of calibration, at significant less cost.

An expensive lesson....

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    4x4_Angel and ColoradoTJ like this.
  3. Jan 12, 2018 at 8:16 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I didn’t have the sonar on my Tundra and though I would like it. So dammit, I sure in the hell made sure my next rig had it. For the most part it is a good warning system I don’t rely on. Only issue is in snow, it can cover the sensor and all of a sudden the dash lights up. I just turn it off now in snowy conditions.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Looks like you’re set up pretty good to troubleshoot problems as they arise.

4. Jan 31, 2018 at 1:43 PM
    ChucklesToy

ChucklesToy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra Limited 4X4 Nightshade Blueprint
    BAK MX4, window tint, TRD skid plate
    I have had VERY intermittent issues with BSM errors for a while now...even before I had the bumper recall performed. Yes, it was calibrated during the recall. it seems to happen more on rainy or drizzly weather and heavy traffic, but annoying to say the least. Usually just turning off truck and starting again clears it. I need to see if there are any codes. I like the cross traffic warning the most, but BSM is nice to have...

5. Jan 31, 2018 at 5:29 PM
    71_340

71_340 The German

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    FLW, MO
    What is the bumper recall? Which years does it cover?

6. Jan 31, 2018 at 5:42 PM
    METRO32168

METRO32168 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 CM PLATINUM SILVER
    DECKED STORAGE UNIT,BACKFLIP G2 COVER,THULE ROOF RACKS, AMP RESEARCH POWERSTEP, TRD BILSTEINS COIL OVER SHOCKS (3" LIFT), TRD BILSTEINS SHOCKS REAR, SETINA BUMPER GUARD
    can you calibrate it yourself? what tools are needed? have same issue, but don't want to waste time at dealer. tia

7. Jan 31, 2018 at 6:41 PM
    ChucklesToy

ChucklesToy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle:
    Evidently, for 2016-2017 trucks with the color-keyed bumpers and BSM/Parking Assist, the support bracket can break with minor impact. The recall is for trucks that have BSM and parking assist. It replaces supports that are epoxy based with another material that is more sturdy. You can go to Toyota Owners and input your VIN to see if it applies to your truck. https://www.toyota.com/owners/my-vehicle

Here is a copy of the recall notice:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    71_340[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Jan 31, 2018 at 6:44 PM
    ChucklesToy

ChucklesToy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle:
    I don't know, but since they calibrated it after the bumper recall was completed, I want it on the record in case it gets worse.

UPDATE: Took her to the dealer for final free oil change today (She's 2 years old on Monday) and asked them to look into the BSM errors. It has been getting worse. Called me to let me know they found the issue. There were some errors reported in Techstream that correlated to a tech bulletin - the error says there is a short in the passenger side mirror, but the issue is really the driver side sensor. They ordered the sensor and it will be installed tomorrow. Then they will need to calibrate it. Confirmed that you cannot calibrate it yourself.

The tech bulletin is new, related to VIN and build date prior to certain date (my Tundra was manufactured 1/2016; delivered 3/21/16)

Got truck back and working fine now...C Code 1AB3 for salve malfunction BSM system, TSB 0049-16 available for updated parts. R&R drivers side slave BSM ECU and calibrated as TSB required. Lights now off EL1606. Part is 88162-0C032 Sensor, Blind Spo. No charge - warranty

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  9. Feb 1, 2018 at 3:57 AM
    71_340

71_340 The German

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    FLW, MO
    Thank you, I was just wondering. I have a 2018 and don't have a recall for that, I guess they implemented those changes on the production line. Only recall I have open is for reprograming the EDR.

I now have almost 4k miles on my truck and had absolutely no issues (other then the shitty stereo which I fixed). Having a Tundra is a whole new experience for me because I just put gas in it and drive it, all my previous trucks (mostly F-150) went to the dealer on regular basis for warranty work, recalls or TSBs, was all free but very inconvenient. I am gladly paying the small upcharge at the gas pump.

10. Jun 29, 2018 at 11:06 AM
    taxque

taxque New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement SR5 8' Bed
    for the Parking assist ECU. Is is recognized he you plug it in or do you have to activate it in techstream?

11. Dec 15, 2020 at 2:33 PM
    Ders

Ders Washington

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra
    MKW Chrome Off-Road Wheels 275/65R20 Tires Bilstein 5100 Middle Setting In the Front, 1/2 Block in the Rear Highway Products Gull Wing with Roof Rack Tracks Protech lumber rack LED headlight and foglight bulbs 30% Front window tints Boost Auto Tow Mirrors
    I know this is old but I thought i’d chime in since I had a similar problem. I had to change the rear end caps on my truck and yes I unplugged the BSM because I didn’t see this thread. I too had a check sonar system error and thought I had to get it reset. So I took it to the dealer and was ready to spend $300 for them to reset the system. And then the service tech told me that there is a code for the BSM disconnect but I will still work fine it is more of a code for the dealer to know if the BSM has been moved or not. In my case it had not been, just unplugged.

Anyways the check sonar with the do not sign flashing means one parking sensor is unplugged or broken. So I bought a new one and replaced it and just like that no errors, no reset, no recalibration it all works great.

one thing to note the parking sensors are very delicate and break easy. And they are also $170 from napa. So be careful if you need to work near them.

Jstamand3 and SHAKA U F4KA like this.
  12. Mar 12, 2024 at 11:07 AM
    MGMTunny14

MGMTunny14 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB MGM Limited Tundra 5.7L
    Dirty Deed’s 6” Aluminum Standard Exhaust System Morimoto 4Banger HXB Fog Lights K&N Wet Oil Cold Air Intake JBA UCA’s Toytec BOSS Level Kit Tech12Volt Remote Start Module/Kit
    So I know this thread is especially old now, but I recently had the same issue come up with my truck. I’ve got a 2014 Limited Crewmax with the 5.5ft bed, Parking assist sensors on the front and rear, as well as BSM. My only evidence to go off of right now is I recently had a lot of issues with the truck, had to lift the cab off the frame to try and mess with the truck. During this fiasco I also had to replace the ECM after an accident leading to its demise. Then after putting the cab back on, everything else works except my Parking Assist Sensors. I press the button, hear a loud beep inside the cab, then after 3-5 seconds the Information Display in the gauge cluster pops up with the flashing lights around all 5 or so sensors and the “See Dealership” message.

I saw someone say earlier on the thread that when messing with the sensor connections you have to reset the sensors after plugging it back in, but I wasn’t sure if anyone had any other advice relating more to my specific situation.

Products Discussed in

To Top