1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SOLVED - two annoying squeaks in cabin

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by KirthGersen, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Feb 8, 2020 at 2:33 PM
    KirthGersen

KirthGersen [OP] New Member

Member:
    So Calif
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Crewmax
    About a year apart, I had 2 separate & very annoying "plastic-on-plastic" squeaks develop in my 2018 Crewmax, and both turned out to have the same and unexpected root cause.

#1 Couple months after I bought the Tundra in mid-2018, I installed a grab handle on the driver side A-pillar. That required replacing the old A-pillar trim piece, and installing a new handle.
    Shortly after, I started getting a "plastic-y" squeak noises from the vicinity of the A-pillar, even on smooth roads. Noise varied according to the temperature.
    Of course I thought it must have been the last thing I touched, so I drove around with & without A-pillar trim, pressing & pushing various parts of the dash & trim, applying smear of silicone lube to plastic surfaces, etc.
    None of that worked.
    Eventually I figured it out after a few weeks, read ahead.

#2 Last month, another annoying "plastic-y" squeak noise started, seemed to be coming from passenger side instrument panel or glove box. I disassembled glove box, had wife press and wiggle different portions of the instrument panel while I drove, nothing had any enduring effect.

Solution:
    Both squeaks were caused by the swivel joint on each of the sun visors! You'd think the noise would have been obvious to localize & locate, but it wasn't.

The sun visor swivels have a stiff, inner & outer, plastic bushing. Not visible from the outside.

I removed the visor, applied some silicon paste lube to the bushing, rotated bushing to work-in the lube, and reattached visor.

Perfectly quiet ever since, including the #1 squeak from summer 2018.

Not much lube is needed - I used a toothpick to apply the lube to the bushings. Silicon paste lube is recommended, because it doesnt smell and is non-staining.

upload_2020-2-8_14-32-25.jpg

2. Feb 8, 2020 at 2:37 PM
    georgiey22

georgiey22 Moving to Idaho

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra | TRD Sport | Cavalry Blue | Crew Max
    Great find. Easy fix but took time. Thank you for sharing this week us all!

Products Discussed in

To Top