1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Softopper-awning combo on gen 1 double cab

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Sabi Tundra, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Oct 13, 2017 at 12:19 PM
    Sabi Tundra

Sabi Tundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2006 tundra dc
    Hi all, I am new to the forum so hello and howdy. Live in Tucson, AZ and own a 2006 DC Tunny.

I am hoping to get some opinions and experience regarding awnings with Softoppers. My plan is to run a Softopper but the options for mounting an awning are then fairly limited.

The two routes i see are installing two cross bars on the cab OR fabricating/purchasing some kind of bars that extend out and up from the bed rails to support the awning. Id like either option to be removable without too much grief which rules out the full roll cages.

Any thoughts or solutions from experience with this?

Recommendations on brand or style for above cab roof racks and/or awnings?

Cheers! :rockband:

2. Oct 13, 2017 at 12:26 PM
    zcarpenter92

zcarpenter92 Yotas and Yellow Jackets

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    NE Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2008 Desert Sand 5.7L DC
    In sig
    I think having the awning mounted on bed bars would be the best idea. I'm assuming you'd be wanting something along these lines, not sure whether these are custom made or who makes em(I think I found this on here, but it's been awhile):
    IMG_0608.jpg

3. Oct 13, 2017 at 12:43 PM
    Sabi Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2006 tundra dc
    Ya i feel like the roll cage option is a bit overkill for an awning though. I do have fabrication skills and all the equipment to make a cage...time is the limitation :goingcrazy:. Seems like having a cage kind of takes away the benefits of the softopper? It's not totally out of the question though. it does offer more attachment points for other stuff like a PVC solar shower. Thanks for the post Zcarpenter.

4. Oct 13, 2017 at 12:47 PM
    zcarpenter92

zcarpenter92 Yotas and Yellow Jackets

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    NE Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2008 Desert Sand 5.7L DC
    In sig
    Yeah I can see where you're coming from, most are so easily removable that I never really thought of them as overkill.

5. Oct 13, 2017 at 12:59 PM
    Sabi Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2006 tundra dc
    good point, i wonder how that would work with the softopper bed rail for the snaps though? softopper offers a US rack solution that just slides under the bar they supply and then two clamps (for that side of the truck) holds everything down. Doesn't seem very strong to me.
    My idea was to use the bed stake holes and fabricate a male end that fits down inside. Then you could build off those to create a kind of half cage just on the one side of the truck. only issue i see is how do you make it jive with the softopper rails?

Products Discussed in

To Top