1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So...do I go TRD Pro, 1794 or new SR5

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Shamrock92, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Feb 15, 2021 at 3:19 PM
    vanapagan

vanapagan New Member

Member:
    No offense taken, you young little whipper snapper! Actually, I would agree with you about the "old man" look of the stock, chrome-covered Tundras if I wouldn't be indicting myself...;) But Gramps has fixed this sonny-boy!
    [/QUOTE]

Perception! What a funny thing. I am old enough to remember when color matched trim was a bad thing since it screamed base model and you couldn't afford the higher trim or options. Now everyone wants to delete chrome. How much you want to bet your rug rats will be putting chrome bling on their trucks when they are old enough to own one.

If you had a blacked out car your were either a broke modder or a Mennonite.

Taterhawk, Kung and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  2. Feb 15, 2021 at 3:32 PM
    hillbillytoyo

hillbillytoyo Just a country boy

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    WV
    Vehicle:
    21 Limited Cement CM TRD OF
    Perception! What a funny thing. I am old enough to remember when color matched trim was a bad thing since it screamed base model and you couldn't afford the higher trim or options. Now everyone wants to delete chrome. How much you want to bet your rug rats will be putting chrome bling on their trucks when they are old enough to own one.

If you had a blacked out car your were either a broke modder or a Mennonite.[/QUOTE]
    So where did you get the black handle inserts? I just bought a 21 limited and the handles have to be the 1st to go. 20210212_150458.jpg

3. Feb 15, 2021 at 3:33 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Mother-Loving Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Just get a different trim so that when it squats it's level. That's why trucks have rake. Or get a lighter trailer.

4. Feb 15, 2021 at 3:37 PM
    Shamrock92

Shamrock92 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Yes - as pointed out - the Pro is not the best choice for towing. If your looking for towing power - 2022 might be more to your liking with rumored improvements.

Towing capacity is of course one of those "stats" categories every make likes to boast about. And reality is half of us will never need near the towing capacity of any truck. You also will find capacities are in a close range on most popular trucks - unless you opt up to a "package" on one of the big 3 to get more capacity.

As to reliability and the big 3 vs Toyota. I will say this - I dont find Toyota more reliable....well at least more than Ford/GM (Dodge is on its own here - havent owned one in 20 years...for a reason) - I find Ford/GM being faster to try new features that just don't work out from time to time.

Ford ecotech is a good example- the current iterations are good...the first go round, not so much. Toyota will role out a new engine next year presumably - and you can guarantee it will be well accepted. I think at times people perceive Toyota as being vastly superior quality wise....I don't feel that way. Better. Yes - but the difference in power trains has narrowed of late.

Interior wise - as much as the Tundra gets complaints. I've seen nothing from GM to be jealous of...Ford is nicer, but not light years....Dodge - well they get this right ...if they could just keep it from failing 25% of the time.

5. Feb 16, 2021 at 7:10 AM
    TelemarkTumalo

TelemarkTumalo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD Pro Double Cab Army Green
    Driver side grab handle Door sill protectors Falken WildPeak 295/70 R18 X-Pel clear front paint protection 20% front window tint Go Rhino RB20 side steps - Bedliner finish Lock'er Down 1/2 console safe Toyota bed cargo divider Toyota auto tail gate lock
    I heard a "rumor" yesterday that the '22 Tundra is going to have a 12" infotainment center and head's up display on the windshield. Wow!

6. Feb 16, 2021 at 7:24 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Hopefully only in the Limited and up since I'd never consider those trim levels.

7. Feb 16, 2021 at 7:39 AM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr it's good to get lost once in a while

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    21 AG CM OR
    TRD Fox, CB +2, RCI, 285/75 DTs
    This perception is backed up by facts and data. Spend some time at Dashboard Light. It’s a vehicle quality index based solely on long term reliability. It aggregates data by performing inspections on hundreds of thousands of vehicles.

They’ve inspected 290k Fords and 270k Toyotas alone. Toyota’s overall rating is 82/100 (the Tundra in particular earned a score of 96.8/100). Ford’s overall rating? 26/100.

8. Feb 22, 2021 at 12:02 PM
    Shamrock92

Shamrock92 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ok, so I have had some time to start shopping - and also to look at "other" brands.

I'm not going to get into a full on comparison of Toyota vs the rest...just my notes on each brand pro/con for me personally:

Ram - nicest interior of any maker, middle of the pack engine wise - reliability probably lowest of the 4 -new prices are very high - but plenty of used low mile in line with other makers new price so finding a well optioned used 1 year old truck should be easy.

Ford - 2nd nicest interior, alot of engine options. Overall decent value for buck...but kind of high $$...not as many used, but again resale seems lower. Packages can be confusing.

Chevy - way too many trims/packages, interior feels dated like Toyota - but exterior is plain ugly on some trims. Decent reliability and price is probably best of the 4.

Really - as much as I like the Ram, unless I could find a smoking good deal...I'd pass on them. That said seems deals are out there - just alot of rentals flooding the used market. I'd avoid those at all cost of course.

I like the Chevy w/Trail Boss trim....want to test one first...but it might be the closest competition. Still the body - especially the tail gate are butt ugly in my opinion, and the interior is just so-so. Toyota can use the excuse of not refreshing the line in a decade for looking "aged" - whats GMs excuse?

Toyota - I am just trying to figure out what I lose going SR5 with a TRD package vs TRD Pro (aside from stamped TRD in bedpanels - which i don't like) and the grille. I get there is TRD Sport (different suspension) and TRD off road...Hopefully they have an off road to test drive tomorrow.

Radio - honestly id probably upgrade if I go Toyota. I know the Pro comes with the nicer system - but if I'm upgrading to non OE anyway...why pay more. Ditto leather seats - they are an option on the SR5 i understand - so what do I lose? A TRD embroidered into them...I can live with that. Grille is an easy swap - what else am I paying for in a Pro? Considering the SR5 qualifies for incentives (both published and dealer holdbacks) - its looking like the better deal.....I'm not losing engine or something that can't be added later - but maybe I'm missing something.

9. Feb 22, 2021 at 12:54 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    The Pro has Fox shocks that are supposed to be pretty good but only worth it if you're going to offroad but not interested in upgrading the suspension yourself. It's also leveled so not as good if you're going to tow or haul anything heavy.

Products Discussed in

To Top