1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snow Chains

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Vaboycantbstill, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Oct 4, 2018 at 5:23 PM
    Vaboycantbstill

Vaboycantbstill [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tundra CrewMax Limited 4x4 TRD
    Rear Sway Bar Install
    2018 CrewMax Limited 4x4 TRD.

Need some guidance. Traveling up to WA from SoCal in Nov/Dec timeframe. Never had to use or buy snow chains. One of the guys at the dealer told me to buy a plastic set because the metal chains interfere with the electronics in the truck. Anyone experience this issue? Any suggestions on which ones to buy?

2. Oct 4, 2018 at 5:39 PM
    TRD Pro Rookie

TRD Pro Rookie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    D/FW
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Pro
    Nothing major
    Tirechains.com

20161112_130542.jpg

Mountun Goat likes this.
  3. Oct 4, 2018 at 5:50 PM
    equin

equin Texarican Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Sky DC SR5 5.7L 4x4 TSS Package
    TRD Rear Anti-sway bar, TRD Pro skid plate, Bedrug bed mat, 17" Icon Rebounds, 315/70/17 BFG AT/K02, Bilstein 6112s front (for now), Fox 2.5 Remote Reservoirs rear, Diamondback SE, Dirtydeeds Industries 8" stainless BAMuffler, aFe dry air filter, TRD air intake accelerator
    My only experience with tire chains was when I bought a rear set for a '93 full-size Ford Bronco over 10 years ago at an Autozone in New Mexico during a snowstorm. I don't know enough about how metal chains may interfere with the electronics and sensors our newer trucks have, though, so maybe someone knowledgeable about that will chime in. Just be sure to buy a set that'll fit over your tire size. When I bought mine, all the regular car tire size chains were sold out. But there was one left for 33" to 35" tires that fit for my Bronco.

4. Oct 4, 2018 at 5:54 PM
    Jengel451

Jengel451 Misanthropist

Member:
    The Bitterroot, MT
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona TRD Limited CrewMax
    3/1.5 Toytec/Icon AAL, 17" Rebounds, 317-70-70 ST Maxx's
    Les Schwab used to have a program where you could return if not used.

4x4 put on the front so you can steer and not get pushed straight.

Never heard of sensors being affected. Heard of crap being tore up due to excess speed and loose adjustments though.

NewImprovedRon and equin like this.
  5. Oct 4, 2018 at 6:00 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    +1 @Watt maker

I have a set I would use on my rear tires if needed.

NewImprovedRon and Watt maker like this.
  6. Oct 4, 2018 at 6:00 PM
    Yoda1

Yoda1 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Tundra Crewmax
    Never heard of electrical interference or plastic tire chains. Make sure to get the right size and that you have clearance. Not much room between the tire and upper control arm on stock vehicles. Also check owner's manual for guidance but if I remember right they don't recommend them on the front.

I recently added wheel spacers to give the clearance I needed to safely use tire chains on the front.

7. Oct 4, 2018 at 7:03 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
  8. Oct 4, 2018 at 7:26 PM
    johnsmsith6073

johnsmsith6073 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2015 Limited
    Chains on a 4x4? Wait for the plow....

I suppose it would be possible that chains may increase the OD of the tire and and in 4wd this may be outside the trucks tolerances(vs front tire OD) . Not to mention if you break one your pretty paint job will need some work

The plastic "tire sock" things are one time use, they shred pretty fast.

equin and joonbug like this.
  9. Oct 4, 2018 at 7:30 PM
    Y0TA PR0

Y0TA PR0 Dirt biking & fishing

Member:
    First Name:
    Rafael
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO
    WELCOME

GNTundra likes this.
  10. Oct 4, 2018 at 7:47 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Some states have roads that require you run or at least have chains in the winter, or you cant drive on them or will get ticketed

TheBeast and Watt maker like this.
  11. Oct 4, 2018 at 8:40 PM
    PapaGrizz

PapaGrizz MGM CRÜE

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Tundra TRD Off Road Crewmax
    We don't get it that bad here in WA. Honestly - I drive my wife's Hyundai Accent without winter tires without issue. You'll be fine, just wait for the plow if it gets bad.

GNTundra likes this.
  12. Oct 4, 2018 at 8:44 PM
    Atomic City Tundra

Atomic City Tundra Cam Tower Leak Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra 5.7FFV CM 4X4
    I am not sure about states in other laws, but I grew up in the mountains of Colorado and currently reside in the mountains of northern New Mexico. I have seen plenty of wicked snow storms and several trips over high mountain passes in the winter. I have never been denied passage over a road due to lack of chains. There were sometimes stipulations that you had to have an all-terrain or all-weather tire, but never you must have chains to pass (unless you were in a vehicle without appropriate tires). I have never run chains, and have never run studded tires. The only time I have been turned away was when they just plain closed the pass down.

pale_ale and Watt maker like this.
  13. Oct 4, 2018 at 8:56 PM
    sdde4n

sdde4n New Member

Member:
    People's Republic of California
    Vehicle:
    2018 CrewMax - Sierra Romeo Cinco
    Leitner Designs ACS
    I don't think the snow up there gets that bad in Nov/Dec. I'd wait and see.

PapaGrizz[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Oct 4, 2018 at 9:28 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Yeah, I would think it would be bad to run in 4wd with just chains on the rear. I wouldn’t even try in the front. I’d rather use 4wd than chains in 2wd. I’ve seen quite a few people with 4wd buy chains, but never ever seen any of them actually use them. Unless you’re going off-roading in the snow don’t waste your money. In CA, they’ll close the highways if it ever gets bad enough for a 4wd truck to need chains on the road.

GNTundra and dcsleeper408 like this.
  15. Oct 4, 2018 at 9:42 PM
    Casper421

Casper421 Toyota RidgeTrac driver!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    In the woods
    Vehicle:
    06 DC
    If you need chains on a 4x4 with decent tires, no one should be driving on that road.

16. Oct 4, 2018 at 9:46 PM
    Trd307

Trd307 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Vehicle:
    2013 white tundra grade tundra
    Ive used steel chains on all 4 on the stock 2005 sr5 tundra. In the mountains hunting snow hits, cooper st maxs, No problems with the operation of the truck. Grip and get the f out. They do wonders in snow and mud. As you get older you learn to put them on before you're stuck.

Never tried them with the 2013

Don't get chains though, like several said if you have to have chains on the road shouldn't be open.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    equin likes this.
  17. Oct 5, 2018 at 5:25 AM
    matt kruckenberg

matt kruckenberg New Member

Member:
    slc ut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Trd Pro Inferno
    Oh Cali boy you'll be fine it's only Washington

18. Oct 5, 2018 at 7:59 AM
    equin

equin Texarican Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Sky DC SR5 5.7L 4x4 TSS Package
    TRD Rear Anti-sway bar, TRD Pro skid plate, Bedrug bed mat, 17" Icon Rebounds, 315/70/17 BFG AT/K02, Bilstein 6112s front (for now), Fox 2.5 Remote Reservoirs rear, Diamondback SE, Dirtydeeds Industries 8" stainless BAMuffler, aFe dry air filter, TRD air intake accelerator
    Yep, I used them on my 4x4 Ford Bronco in the mountains only. As a Texan with very limited experience driving in the ice and snow, they were a God-send slowly going up and down that New Mexico mountain pass near Ruidoso. The setup worked great. I had never used chains before, and it took me awhile to figure out how to get them on at first.

The parts guy at Autozone told me to use them only in the rear and to put the truck in 4wd. That was awhile ago, though, so maybe the preferred method has changed since then. But I can see how upper control arm clearance might be an issue for some Tundras with wider tires if placed up front.

19. Oct 6, 2018 at 11:33 AM
    panicman

panicman Everyone remain calm.

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM TRDoffroad MGM
    I’m in Oregon, and we get some snow and ice.

Over the past several years, I have found that decent tires and traction control/4WD will get you through almost everything. Most trucks up here will just throw bed weights in the bed to get more weight over the rear wheels.

That said, if you venture away from the city during winter, you’re bound to see the “Traction Control Devices Required” signs flipped open any time you get a ways out.

This’ll be my first winter with the Tundra. I’ve never had to chain up our Honda Pilot, even with thick ice and 2 foot snow drifts. If I have to throw on chains or cables for the Tundra, I will be PISSED. But I will probably get them just to have them.

20. Oct 6, 2018 at 11:44 AM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    I visited Washington and Oregon last January, drove a suburban and never needed anything special. Washington seemed to keep the roads clear.

Never heard of using chains up front on a truck. On my truck I went to Shaver lake for Christmas and ran chains out back, rear wheel drive. I did a bit of driving without chains and did alright until I was on a backroad going up a hill in a foot of snow. Then I learned I needed the chains again lol.

Side note, there are chains and there are cables. My brother in law used cables on his car and those worked fine for him.

21. Oct 6, 2018 at 11:54 AM
    619tundra16

619tundra16 New Member

Member:
    OP, check out snowbird tire chains in san diego.

He gives everything you need for an easy install and even shows you how to do it before you leave the shop.

22. Oct 6, 2018 at 12:00 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I have a set of snow chains for my truck but I have never used them LOL I just put them in the back in case they are required in our local mountains. Most of the time if you have 4 x 4 and a snow rated tire they just wave you through. They may want to see that you are at least carrying chains.
    When I was young and dumb, I got myself stuck in about a foot of snow down an old camping fire Road. 2wd 97 rcsb f150 with an open diff. I slapped the chains on and was able to go almost anywhere I wanted. I was quite impressed. Although I needed to cut the excess chain off, but used tie wire instead. I was nervous that it was going to beat my truck up the whole time.

I know they say better to put them on before you get stuck. But they make me nervous the entire time I’m running them. They are definitely my last resort. Carry a shovel and a block of wood to help you jack the truck up.

23. Oct 6, 2018 at 1:10 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    I meant running chains only in the rear while in 4WD. Wouldn’t that make the rear wheels essentially larger than the fronts? In that case I would rather be in 4wd with no chains on.

24. Oct 17, 2018 at 10:57 PM
    pale_ale

pale_ale New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daman
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Crewmax limited
    Diamond Back, APS iboards
    I've been in Colorado for close to 30 years now (and grew up in your sister Atomic City in the south btw, ACT) and couldn't agree more with Atomic City Tundra. 4wheel drive, decent AT tires, ABS and a little speed adjustment and you should be fine.

25. Oct 18, 2018 at 9:05 AM
    WAtundra4x4

WAtundra4x4 Retired from active retirement.

Member:
    First Name:
    Den
    Wet side WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tundra TRD crewmax limited
    Forward looking camera, Stub Antenna, 3M clearshield. A few other non lifted items.
    I've lived in WA for 41 years and 26 in MI. Chains are normally not required for driving in WA. That being said, there are snowstorms/ icestorms that occur once in awhile that they do require chains, but if it's that bad, it's better to stay home and have a brew imo.

If you hit a sheet if ice, chains help, but only to a certain extent. Add ice to a 9% grade and gravity takes over big time. It not the get going that's a problem, it's the stopping.

NewImprovedRon, Watt maker and equin like this.
  26. Oct 23, 2018 at 10:32 PM
    phabej

phabej New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    NO LONGER HAVE A TUNDRA... Waiting
    Chains or traction tires are always required when driving through Dunsmuir Ca, by Shaver. Sometimes at the siskiyou pass. They will stop vehicles before Dunsmuir for sure, I've seen it happen.

Be safe, not sorry. In face inI picking up a set before I head to Ca from Wa myself this Christmas.

27. Oct 24, 2018 at 3:35 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I've been over the Siskiyou Pass numerous times over the years in the winter and never was forced to chain up with a 4X4 and legal tires. 2WD......get chains. It's worse here in CO going over continental divide and chains not required for 4X4s with legal tires.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  28. Oct 24, 2018 at 7:55 AM
    WAtundra4x4

WAtundra4x4 Retired from active retirement.

Member:
    First Name:
    Den
    Wet side WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tundra TRD crewmax limited
    Forward looking camera, Stub Antenna, 3M clearshield. A few other non lifted items.
    I just want to clarify that this statement is based upon a 4x4 with allweather, snow approved, tires. If you are driving a 2 wheel drive or one with summer tires, chains would be required. In that case I would have chains.

If weather is bad enough in WA to require chains on a 4x4 with all weather tires, you had better have them if you venture out.

Products Discussed in

To Top