1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Smoke and knocking

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by brazen, May 13, 2021.

1. May 13, 2021 at 9:07 AM
    brazen

brazen [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra Double Cab TRD
    Hello there everyone, new member here. I have a 2006 Toyota Tundra 4.7 with 275k miles. My truck has started emitting smoke during startup, I want to say a gray/blue smoke. It definitely has a burning type of smell when the smoke is coming out. After about 30 seconds, the smoke goes away and truck drives normally. After driving for a while though, the smoke will come out again and the engine will start making a knocking/backfiring type of noise and lose power. I can’t even take it on the freeway as it will do this when I drive above 50 mph. Any ideas? Dealership unclogged the fuel injectors and replaced spark plugs. They said the smoke was carbon buildup. Was charged $500 for that job. Please help, your comments are appreciated.

2. May 13, 2021 at 9:33 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
  3. May 13, 2021 at 9:34 AM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    Never had a 4.7 do this. Have you been losing oil? Typically blue smoke is oil.

4. May 13, 2021 at 9:36 AM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, AmeriCanadian, OG 1st Gen Rabble Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    Head gasket maybe?

5. May 13, 2021 at 9:38 AM
    brazen

brazen [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra Double Cab TRD
    I have been losing oil, but I also had the rear main seal done too as that was leaking A LOT of oil. Too early to tell, just had the truck worked on yesterday

6. May 13, 2021 at 2:10 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    (1) Your dealership is more dishonest than I thought Toyota would allow. They're thieves...don't go back.

Carbon buildup? Fuel injectors unclogged? Sparkplugs replaced? I doubt anything was done except let your truck rest in the parking lot sunshine all day, then collect $500 for bogus work not done. Had they at least done a compression test, you would have gotten something useful for your $500.

(2) At 275K miles, I would lean toward your truck simply being worn out. A compression test would go a long way to confirming that fact about the engine. It's true that some Tundras last a million miles, but most of them won't. Having to replace the rear main seal is further evidence that your truck is becoming a money pit. That's the reason they keep making new trucks...eventually vehicles will have to be replaced.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    15whtrd and Toyoda Tundra like this.
  7. May 14, 2021 at 1:18 AM
    brazen

brazen [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra Double Cab TRD
    I am at a loss. I really want to hang on to this truck, it’s my favorite body style of tundras. Im going to check for coolant in the oil and have a compression test done. Thank you guys for your replies.

8. May 14, 2021 at 4:51 AM
    bmf4069

bmf4069 Yup, that's a whole ass truck in a dishwasher

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    All the bass
    Pop open your radiator and overflow tank. If you see black specs in there it's a possible sign. But, if it is your exhaust would have a sweet smell. You can check the under side of your oil cap too.

KIMG0048.jpg

KIMG0046.jpg

9. May 14, 2021 at 5:25 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    PCV valve?

brazen[OP] and Vizsla like this.
  10. May 14, 2021 at 8:27 AM
    knoxville36

knoxville36 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation w/3.0 Duramax
    I know in small block Chevy's that could also be a sign of leaking valve seals. The truck sits and oil leaks down through the valve seals. When you start the motor, that oil that has leaked down is burned off. After it is burned off in the 30 seconds or so, you are good to go. This process will repeat itself once the truck sits long enough for the oil to get past the valve seals. Usually sitting overnight or longer.

Not as familiar with 5.7 Toyota engine, but possibly valve seals?

11. May 14, 2021 at 8:29 AM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    Valve seals will cause smoke cold for sure. But what he’s describing sounds a bit worse than that

12. May 14, 2021 at 4:26 PM
    brazen

brazen [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra Double Cab TRD
    Okay guys. i assessed the coolant tank and found nothing unusual. However, I assessed the oil dipstick and oil fill cap and found this strong scent of gasoline. This would be indicative of a gas-oil mixture and since the spark plugs can’t ignite can’t ignite oil and fuel, hence the knocking at higher speeds. I’m going to take this truck to a different mechanic and see if they can check the valves. Today I was able to drive the truck on a hot day with the ac on at 70 with no issues. I am pretty positive there’s something up with the valves.

fighthedude likes this.
  13. May 14, 2021 at 6:18 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    If you can find a independent Toyoya master tech, or at least a Toyota enthusiast mechanic, that would be great. I found a local guy who did me right on my sequoia, so happy I did. His motto was not selling any shit I didn’t need. Well he found a repeat customer when he said that to me, especially after the proper quote and awesome work his team did for me.

I really hope it is something simple that has just been overlooked for you. Definitely in for results.

14. May 15, 2021 at 4:46 AM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    Doubt it will be the valves. My prime suspects would be the newly "unclogged" fuel injectors and plugs. If you have a leaking injector, or a non-firing spark plug the fuel will not be ignited in the cylinder and the buildup in fuel will wash down past the rings and end up in the oil. Using straight gasoline as a lubricant doesn't work. You could severely damage the cylinder. I wouldn't drive it until you get this sorted out.

JJtruckon likes this.
  15. May 18, 2021 at 11:48 AM
    bmf4069

bmf4069 Yup, that's a whole ass truck in a dishwasher

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    All the bass
    Bump for updates. My curiosity is piqued.

Filthyphil and brazen[OP] like this.
  16. May 19, 2021 at 10:01 AM
    tgroves526

tgroves526 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra SR5
    Maybe possible fuel filter is clogged , that would cause fuel starving. ie can't go faster than 50mph. Just a thought..

17. May 25, 2021 at 7:28 PM
    brazen

brazen [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra Double Cab TRD
    So guys, the culprit was the pcv valve. I was able to drive it today with no issue on the freeway. Thank you all for your contributions. Anyways it turns out some shop put some chinese aftermarket pcv valve and the hoses came loose. Again, thank you all for the support.

Filthyphil, bmf4069, 15whtrd and 2 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top