1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Slightly regretting getting rid of my first gen... What should I do?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Morgan51, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Dec 16, 2016 at 7:42 PM
    Morgan51

Morgan51 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno CM Tundra TRD

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    NewImprovedRon likes this.
  2. Dec 16, 2016 at 7:47 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    Stick it out if you can afford it. Even though our trucks hold their value well you may lose a bit trading or selling.

Eventually you will get your 16 where you want it. There was a reason you wanted to get a new truck right?

3. Dec 16, 2016 at 7:55 PM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Ever so often I see a nice Taco out there and still wish I had mine. But them I look at the space inside my CM and get happy that I have the Tundra. You're just feeling separation anxiety like when you get a new girlfriend and wonder if you made a mistake. Then a few years later find her on Facebook and know you did make the right decision years ago :rofl:

4. Dec 16, 2016 at 7:56 PM
    Rangers

Rangers New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2017 Bad Barcelona TRD Pro
    TRD sway bar
    I understand 100%. Its funny how we get attached to these trucks, they are always there and very seldom fail, you just develop a bond with them.
    When you trade and see it drive off you get a real shitty feeling.
    Rest assured you will bond with your new truck and when you see a old truck like the one you had you will say damn I loved that truck with a smile.

5. Dec 16, 2016 at 7:59 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    I hear ya. The tough part would be finding something that is just as clean, reliable and taken care of like your old truck. Personally I would prioritize reliability over customization, but I realize the first gens are rock solid.

Up North the older Tundras, Tacoma's, and 4Runner's are often cursed with rust. For a while I was looking for a first gen as a second truck, ended up scrapping the idea, but in my search they were either clean and way overpriced or a possible future headache due to rust.

I know this sounds dumb but have you driven a first gen after you made the switch? If not, maybe test drive one, maybe now that you are in the 16 daily, the first gen won't feel as you remember it, if that makes sense...

driverdog likes this.
  6. Dec 16, 2016 at 8:13 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    I think you would miss the 16' more than you think. In due time you will be able to make it yours.

driverdog and Morgan51[OP] like this.
  7. Dec 16, 2016 at 8:30 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    I know the feeling. I had a TRD exhaust on my previous truck and a TRD exhaust on my car before that. I feel so lost without one on the Tundra, I miss the sound. I almost bought one this year, but I just can't justify it right now, I should do other things with the money instead. Egh, responsibilities...

With that said, I hate to admit I kind of enjoy the quietness at times. If only I could have a few trucks with different setups, you know, pick one to drive depending on my mood. :burnrubber:

8. Dec 16, 2016 at 8:41 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Haha an electric cutout would be fun!

9. Dec 16, 2016 at 9:00 PM
    computeruser6

computeruser6 Gott Mit Uns

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirk
    Escondido
    Vehicle:
    2008 Regular Cab Tundra
    King 2.5 coilovers Nitto Exo Grapplers
    Go off-road and put some dents and pinstripes in it. That'll lower your resale value and thus the desire to sell/trade-in what you currently have.

Morgan51[OP] likes this.
  10. Dec 16, 2016 at 10:12 PM
    MatthewPTguy

MatthewPTguy Not a new member

Member:
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 5.7 DC TRD MGM
    Borla dual cat back exhaust system, K&N replacement air filter, Headlight Revolution 40" Stealth LED light bar, Headlight Revolution LED fog light replacement bulbs, Line X bed liner, de-badge
    Congrats on the 2016!!! Stick it out! Save your pennies, and before you know it you will have that great rumble / growl back. Do you have the larger fuel cell? If you do... I have a bit of envy...

SouthBoundSteve and driverdog like this.
  11. Dec 17, 2016 at 5:43 AM
    tye

tye New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tye
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Pro DC
    Diamondback cover, flowmaster exhaust, n-fab sliders
    I couldn't bear to part with my first gen when I bought my 2016. I drive the 1st gen to work daily and now that it is winter basically all the time. The new truck is being pampered until the old one breathes its last. That will be a sad day and require copious amounts of alcohol.

Products Discussed in

To Top