1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Slight shudder when accelerating from a stop

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by PWMDMD, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Mar 4, 2020 at 2:04 PM
    PWMDMD

PWMDMD [OP] New Member

Member:
    Worcester, MA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Platinum
    I can't tell if it's wheel hop or something else but when I accelerate briskly from a stop between 0 and 20 mph there is a slight shudder felt in the driveline - almost feels like 3 or 4 "pulses". Once underway I can slam my foot on the gas pedal and it's absolutely smooth. Accelerating while moving onto the highway it's absolutely smooth. Truck has 1600 miles on it.

I just added Pedal Commander and now I'm noticing it much more often (It was still present before PC).

I've been driving FT AWD vehicles for a long time now and this is my first PT 4WD vehicle and so I'm not used to rear-wheel drive. Any ideas?

2. Mar 4, 2020 at 2:22 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Do you have a lift in the rear? If so it’s possible you need a carrier bearing drop. Basically a couple of shims on the carrier bearing to get your angles right. If not, I would take it back to the dealer. Sometimes I think I feel a slight shutter. But hard to tell since I have chunky tires and a loud rumbling exhaust.

PWMDMD[OP] likes this.
  3. Mar 4, 2020 at 2:24 PM
    PWMDMD

PWMDMD [OP] New Member

Member:
    Worcester, MA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Platinum
    No lift...suspension and tires are stock platinum. I'm going to try putting it into 4WD on a straight road and see if I notice it.

4. Mar 4, 2020 at 2:25 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I would take it in if it’s that noticeable. But you know how the dealer can be, state that they can’t feel anything.

PWMDMD[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Jul 10, 2020 at 11:09 AM
    travis05

travis05 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tbock
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Limited
    None
    Were you ever able to get this resolved? My Tundra just had to have the rear diff and a rear wheel bearing replaced at 77,000 miles and my truck does this exact same thing now. Dealer told me it may be the rear diff breaking in and to come back after 500 miles. It has not changed at all and I am 400 miles into the break in.

6. Jul 10, 2020 at 12:20 PM
    PWMDMD

PWMDMD [OP] New Member

Member:
    Worcester, MA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Platinum
    Honestly, I now believe it's the rear tires breaking a little loose/hopping under acceleration. It's only from a dead stop and I think I was just getting used to the Pedal Commander. It doesn't do it in any other gear or if it's in 4WD. I'm just riding it out....

Products Discussed in

To Top