1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Show us your latest detailing purchase

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Pudge, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Oct 26, 2019 at 7:40 PM
    Pudge

Pudge [OP] Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Damn she's good to you

War Machine[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Oct 26, 2019 at 8:07 PM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas

Yes, she is.

Pudge[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  3. Oct 27, 2019 at 4:52 AM
    Tmank87

Tmank87 New Member

Member:
    Clear cut, Essence and cquartz 3.0

Pudge[OP] likes this.
  4. Oct 27, 2019 at 7:26 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    That would be my go to. I really like clear cut compound and essence polish. There are a few others out there that are very good. Carpro makes a product called reflect that will cut and/or buff depending on what pad you use, that's kinda cool. Meguiars M205 is very versatile and cheap and works great. Would be a great starter polish. I like essence the best cuz it's easy to use, adds protection via a layer of sio2 that lasts a few months, it's super glossy too, and low dusting.

5. Oct 27, 2019 at 8:42 AM
    Tmank87

Tmank87 New Member

Member:
    You cost me another 100!

6. Oct 27, 2019 at 9:11 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Sorry bud, what did you get?

7. Oct 27, 2019 at 9:26 AM
    Tmank87

Tmank87 New Member

Member:
    Ha. No worries. Went with some clear cut, essence, Wolfgang leather cleaner and conditioner, ceriglass, another wash Mitt, tarminator and some micro restore!

8. Oct 27, 2019 at 9:32 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    All good stuff. I order a can of tarminator with pretty much every order I place.
    It's good stuff. If you havent used MF restore detergent yet you'll be blown away by how much it helps. I have tried a few brands and they all work well. 3D Kleen is the most economical at $17 a gallon at autopia.

9. Oct 27, 2019 at 9:42 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    You will like the clear cut and essence, it's easy to use and not messy and dusty like a lot of polishes. I love the essence because its leaves behind crazy gloss, primes the paint for ceramic or something like reload or hydro2, but really can be a stand alone sealant if you want. Make sure you have a bunch of pads, I think I went through like 10 doing my truck. Compressed air and a pad brush can extend the working time of a pad quite a bit, keep us posted

10. Oct 27, 2019 at 11:21 AM
    Tmank87

Tmank87 New Member

Member:
    Thanks man, appreciate that feedback. I havent used the micro restore - really looking forward to that. Have some grease on a few MF from greasing my mower zerks. Regular detergent didn't do much for it.

As for pads, I need a "re education" on the latest and greatest. It has been a few years since I've polished (m105 and m205). Back then I used some LC pads but I cant remember which color was which!

What's the latest and greatest?

11. Oct 27, 2019 at 12:14 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Lake country probably still makes the best pads. Their HDO line is my favorite. They have several grades and lines. CCS are basic pads and work just fine, they have a new line called SDO that I'll probably try, and a newer line that I forgot the name of but their supposed to be really good. For the HDO i use
    Yellow-heavy cut
    Orange-normal cut/heavy polish
    Black-light polish
    Red or white- light polish, jeweling, waxing

For really heavy cutting I use LC wool pads and they work awesome.

For other brands I have used meguiars, carpro, buff and shine, and griots. All of those were really good too. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of those brands again, depending on what's on sale.
    I use compressed air and a pad brush to clean in the fly, run the DA at 4 or 5 and blow air over the pad as it spins or lightly drag the brush over them.

LC snappy boost pad cleaner is cheap and its good stuff, I keep a bucket of water with some snappy clean in it to toss the spent pads into to presoak. By the time you're done you can easily rinse and clean them by hand really quickly after soaking. You could always just use an APC /degreaser but pads are expensive so I want them to last a long time and I feel like the right cleaner will prolong their life.

Microfiber pads are the new thing. I like buff and shine but meguiars makes some good ones. They can range from heavy cut to light polishing. Some pads will do both depending on the product you're using. The buff and shine urofiber are nice, I have used them with clear cut and essence with good results. They are also thin, easy to clean, run cool. I still like foam but MF is starting to make it's way into my cabinet more and more.

12. Oct 27, 2019 at 12:17 PM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas

Have you looked a pad cleaner? They’re pretty expensive but I saw where someone had made their own. I need to go find that link again.

13. Oct 27, 2019 at 2:40 PM
    Tmank87

Tmank87 New Member

Member:
    Thank you man, really appreciate the thorough response. Will check out those new LC pads and will probably dabble with a few MF.

Going to hold out till black Friday and hoping to snag a G9 to replace my old PC and some fresh pads. Then, a full wash/decon/paint correction/ceramic. Should be just in time for our Carolina "winters"

14. Oct 28, 2019 at 3:30 PM
    longhornfan2324

longhornfan2324 New Member

Member:
    Just picked up the Griots Garage PFM towel set and glass kit. Autogeek is having a sale and I got a $25 coupon so picked everything up for just under $100 thought that was a damn good deal.

Pudge[OP] and War Machine like this.
  15. Oct 28, 2019 at 7:33 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Nice! You won't regret getting those towels they are so nice.

phogallen likes this.
  16. Oct 28, 2019 at 7:36 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    This showed up in the mail today, thank you!!!!! Waxaddict Elements SiO2, I am really looking forward to trying this. First concoction will likely be adding some to ECH2O and then Reload at some point. The options are limitless with this stuff, I'm very curious to see how this product line does, the premise is groundbreaking.

20191028_220458.jpg

War Machine and phogallen like this.
  17. Oct 28, 2019 at 7:48 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I have looked at them and you're right they aren't cheap. I did see a DIY video and it didn't seem too bad. I find pre soaking them in some hot water with snappy clean makes them almost perfectly clean on it's own. Some diluted APC and hot water works too to start breaking down the junk.
    Then I clean them by hand in the sink using my thumbs to squeeze out the polish residue while running warm water over them. To be honest I have tossed them in the washer with MF towels and Griots MF towel and pad cleaner with hot water and that works too. I try not to be too lazy seeing I'd bet the washer will wear out pads quicker than hand washing, and as you know pads aren't cheap.
    I always dry them with the velcro backing facing up to avoid water settling in and messing up the glue bond between foam and velcro.

18. Oct 29, 2019 at 5:10 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    I haven’t tried it yet. I’m waiting on my order of Vortex to arrive, along with a recent application of Cherry Silica, so I’m not adding any protection at the moment. I do intend to add some drops to Beadmaker at some point.

phogallen likes this.
  19. Oct 29, 2019 at 7:47 AM
    jpod

jpod its Finally here

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    London Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra CM Cement Grey
    Diamondback HD, 1Up Racks, Yakima Bars, Garbage Weston Steps
    Let us know how the beadmaker mix goes. Add longevity to beadmaker... that is good.

20. Oct 29, 2019 at 7:56 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas

That’s what @Pudge plans to do with it. I’m thinking that will be one of the more successful uses.

21. Oct 29, 2019 at 7:57 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Will do. It may be a while before I really test it.

22. Oct 30, 2019 at 2:13 PM
    1UPPER

1UPPER Not A New Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Flux capacitor!
    I restocked up on my Wolfgang detail products. I’ve used their finishing glaze and deep gloss paint sealant before and I was very happy!
    58740733-8971-468F-9DE5-B05636A6F29C.jpg

Now the Wolfgang carnauba wax is new to me but I know the reviews are very good. It’s expensive so I’m just trying out the small 3oz container first before buying the larger container. This is something that will be applied at the very end by hand. I’ll find out soon since it’s time to details my vehicles before the winter.
    DDC5F26D-99B4-4AFD-8487-92666AA9707E.jpg

War Machine and Pudge[OP] like this.
  23. Oct 30, 2019 at 2:52 PM
    owb2gp

owb2gp New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    ID
    I've heard good stuff about this product. Took a few weeks to get to me and I probably won't be able to use it anytime soon. Damn cold weather and snow.

00100trPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191030155058894_COVER.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Pudge[OP] and War Machine like this.
  24. Oct 30, 2019 at 3:55 PM
    Borador

Borador New Member

Member:
    Olive Branch, MS
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4x4 w/1794 Interior upgrade
    I really like the Shine Supply products so far.

20191030_175216.jpg

War Machine and Pudge[OP] like this.
  25. Oct 30, 2019 at 4:28 PM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas

You use our discount?

Pudge[OP] likes this.
  26. Oct 30, 2019 at 4:34 PM
    Borador

Borador New Member

Member:
    Olive Branch, MS
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4x4 w/1794 Interior upgrade
    No, I wasn't aware of the discount :( but I'm sure there will be plenty more opportunities to use it!

War Machine likes this.
  27. Oct 30, 2019 at 4:45 PM
    owb2gp

owb2gp New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    ID
    Shine supply usually does 20% off around Thanksgiving.

28. Oct 30, 2019 at 6:30 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Good to know, I was going to place an order for wise guy, punch it, cool breeze and some clean and shine but I can hold out for a sale. The only one I kind of need right now is the air freshener, my asshole cat thought it was okay to piss in one of my canvas tool bags in the basement, I have tried everything, even washed it twice in the washer, I can't get the smell out. I figured it's a good excuse to try cool breeze, especially after Mr. and Mrs. @War Machine 's glowing review

War Machine likes this.
  29. Oct 30, 2019 at 6:39 PM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Some Ozium from Walmart will work pretty well for that. Just don’t breathe it in.

30. Oct 31, 2019 at 9:28 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Jason, I never heard of that. I should fog my whole basement, I was gifted the 2 cats when I got divorced, lucky me. My daughter loves them but they are nasty.

Products Discussed in

To Top