1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should the Display Show "Trailer Connected" If no Trailer Brakes?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by rdwaldo, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Nov 26, 2019 at 8:04 AM
    rdwaldo

rdwaldo [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have a 2016 Tundra with the integrated brake controller. Recently, when I connect my car trailer that has electric brakes, it no longer shows "Connected" in the console display. All the lights work on the trailer, but the display doesn't seem to recognize the trailer. I also connected another trailer that does not have electric brakes. The lights work, but it does not show "Trailer connected" in the display. To help rule out my car trailer, should the display show "Trailer connected" even if the trailer does not have brakes?

2. Nov 26, 2019 at 8:49 AM
    djhase

djhase New Member

Member:
    The integrated brake controller will only show trailer connected when the trailer has trailer brakes. If the trailer has brakes and the IBC is not connected, the trailer brakes are not working. The trailer lights will all work but if it is not showing connected the brakes are not working.

I think the Tundra integrated controller is too picky. I have had issues with every trailer with this controller. Never had an issue with any of my trailers using an aftermarket controller.

3. Nov 26, 2019 at 10:11 AM
    rdwaldo

rdwaldo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the quick reply. This helps confirm my car trailer may still be suspect. I found plenty of threads about a trailer not connected warning, but not much information on my scenario in which the trailer simply doesn't show connected.

Has anyone encountered a trailer with brakes not connecting to the controller (No error message), and found the cause?

4. Nov 26, 2019 at 10:56 AM
    TTund16

TTund16 New Member

Member:
    I think there is a TSB for the IBC.

Not sure if the fix will resolve all other reported issues or not.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019

Products Discussed in

To Top