1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I trade my 2018 Tundra in on a new one? help me decide.

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by borla123, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Nov 29, 2021 at 11:03 AM
    borla123

borla123 [OP] The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    18 Tundra TRD OR - 4Runner Torsen Full Time 4wd
    Driver Grip Handle Borla Dual, Line X, ESP Underseat
    Hi. New member first post have popped into this forum over the years for helpful info.

So the 2022 Tundra has been a passing interest, never thought I would consider one. Until I found out how much my very low mileage 2018 SR5 TRD OffRoad truck is worth on the used market. I got a good discount when I bought it new, and I am being offered more than I paid including the taxes. I am thinking with the trade in value against the new one and new tax savings, how do I not do this ?

What would you do in my situation?

I am assuming the shortage in used vehicles on dealer lots is the reason for its high trade in value? Do you think this used vehicle shortage situation will change in Spring of 2022 ?

Another way I am looking at it. I have never ever bought a vehicle at MSRP or close to it. So the extra few thousand I am getting for my truck, I am paying more for the new truck. Its awash?

A couple other concerns in trading in my truck. The 5.7 liter engine. Mine has a Borla exhaust. This exhaust has no drone and makes itself known when on it and I like it. Its visceral. Also on the roads I drive going to the cottage spring summer fall - I get 12.5 - 13.0 Liters / 100 kms if I take it easy with the truck fully loaded down. That's 19-20 miles per gallon. So mileage is not really a concern either.

They are not on the lots for me to drive. That would probably answer question one for me, So. Would you still trade in on the new one ?

Appreciate all opinions.

MTRock likes this.
  2. Nov 29, 2021 at 11:59 AM
    FlyingWolfe

FlyingWolfe Wolfie

Member:
    First Name:
    Crystal
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Inferno
    If I learned anything after working at the Ducati dealer its to never jump onto a first-year anything. The bitching commences and they work the bugs out and make the tweaks as new year models roll out. I bought the first delivered pearl-white 848 in New England and the following year they blacked the engine cases and frame out (one of my gripes), then the evo engine came out the year after with 8 more hp.. my bike was great though regardless. Cant miss what you never had.
    As far as trucks go, I got a last year 2015 Taco, loved it. They just got it right imo then ruined it with the gear-hunting gutless third-gen (drove a couple, several friends have them and all hate/sold them). I have a 2018 Tundra TRD OR as well. Its paid off, its pretty, and i spent a year looking for a low-mile, rust-free DC inferno before I landed one. I think the new truck looks great and all but personally dont get why people jump on the need-a-new-everything bandwagon. You’ll make out over what you paid for your ‘18 but I doubt you’ll be cut any slack on a ‘22 (if you can get your hands on one) and it will be a wash im assuming. I had a local dealer who did my sensor recall cold-call me offering $13k over what I paid for my truck and I asked him to lose my number. I’ll have to eat $3-4k in sales tax (again) and another $7-900 to register something new, lose about $3k in accessories, and be without a truck for who knows how long. Personally not worth it to me and I love my truck too much to part with it. But thats just my .02

End of the day though: its your money and your truck. Get whatever tickles your pickle.

3. Nov 29, 2021 at 12:03 PM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    Nope! No new headaches needed here.

4. Nov 29, 2021 at 12:20 PM
    RobertD

RobertD SSEM#123, ASCM#4 "I call it Vera" ~Jayne Cobb

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue SR5 4x4 Crewmax
    I 2nd what @FlyingWolfe said. Toyota is great but even they will struggle with something so new. Unless you have issues with your truck, hold out.

5. Nov 29, 2021 at 1:15 PM
    borla123

borla123 [OP] The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    The only issue outside of a couple recalls. The front drains for the sunroof keep plugging up with pine needles and other small stuff.
    The dealer fixed it once under warranty - after that I learned to open up sunroof and stick a straightened paper clip or something like that in the holes to clear them. If they were plugged and I parked on a hill pointing up and it rained alot - then next day when I drove away the water in the roof channel came to the front and down the drivers side pillar. A design flaw.

3 No's to the new truck so far...

FlyingWolfe and RobertD[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Nov 29, 2021 at 1:17 PM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    300k Supercharged 2008
  7. Nov 29, 2021 at 1:38 PM
    OppoMojo

OppoMojo New Member

Member:
    and when they toss that last shovel full of dirt on ya.......will it matter.....your heirs will waste it by donating it all to global warming...if you want it, get it!

8. Nov 29, 2021 at 4:29 PM
    borla123

borla123 [OP] The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Thats how I was feeling a couple weeks ago when I learned how small the $$ difference was to get into a SR5 TRD OR by trading in my 2018 same trim. So I thought ok I gotta look into this. But a big problem here in Canada is we do not get to choose options, just trim levels.
    To get a couple options that I would like - the multi terrain camera would be nice, and that button on the tail light to open the tail gate, I have to get a Limited model with the TRD OR option. That's $10k more and has me questioning the move now.

Also. The Interior is really nice on the new truck, sure. But they made the Cab smaller with less storage space in back. I assume due to the batteries needed under the back seat on the hybrid. I have a Crewmax and was thinking with my kids grown maybe a Double Cab with the longer bed now. Give up the power rear window for a longer bed I thought.

Well the Double Cab rear seat space has shrunk and I don't think its even suitable for adults anymore from the videos I have seen. I don't really have back passengers, but still. Its supposed to be a full size pickup. I think the Crewmax long bed is too long a vehicle for me.

And I keep asking myself, why Toyota did you not offer as an "option", the 5.7, with the 10 speed, and a lower ratio rear end, for better mileage to meet their mileage targets? The V6 TT is not that much better on mileage from what I have researched so far.

Maybe when I actually see one and test drive it....

3 no's - 1 yes?

9. Nov 29, 2021 at 4:45 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Welcome from NY.

Keep the 2018. You have the 5.7, V8 & a transmission cooler.

10. Nov 29, 2021 at 4:47 PM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    Do it!

11. Nov 30, 2021 at 4:49 AM
    borla123

borla123 [OP] The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UReYOqrQKIU

came across this video this morning putting the 2022 SR5 TRD OR truck to the test.

Squat test with 1000 lbs and two hefty guys - same as 2021 model

The backup camera is all you get but it is really clear.

When towing they make the comment that the power compared to the 5.7
    Is not as immediate from start but pulls stronger after.
    Now has a Tow + mode. Much faster towing acceleration
    The new model transmits more shimmer / vibration up to the driver when towing compared to previous gen.

maybe the longer bed and the crewmax is ok ?

squat.jpg

12. Nov 30, 2021 at 5:34 AM
    OHwendTrd

OHwendTrd Aging Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    OH
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5
    ATF Cooler
    I traded my 18 in for a 21. Loved my 18 when I bought it used, just wanted a new version of it. Got MSRP for the 21 after them taking off the 10k markup and got more for my trade than what I paid. Good experience this time around.

[​IMG]

13. Nov 30, 2021 at 10:58 AM
    DexterL

DexterL New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 lunar rock TRD pro Seqouia
    If you want it, do it. I had a 19 that I bought for $48k and change and it had 45k miles on it and was used thoroughly. I wanted a new truck with a 6.5 ft bed, that got better gas mileage (big factor fur our family especially during the summer) and had more safety/ tech features. I stripped off all the aftermarket parts, sold/ selling them for a huge profit, sold the truck to Carmax for $49.6k and am first in line for a hybrid 22 platinum 4x4 long bed. Luckily I have a 21 limited tundra to drive for a few months (dads truck) till we get a build sheet, then the dealership will give me a loaner. Dealership is charging $1k under MSRP for the new tundra. In the end, if financing comes in around 2.5% or lower, I will only be out a few $k.

14. Dec 1, 2021 at 5:48 AM
    RusPro21

RusPro21 Pro is gone! But I’m still here.

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    2021 Pro!! Nitto’s Tyger blades, Arc audio!
    I would not. Yeah the dealers want to give you more for your truck. But you are going to pay more for that new redesign. Just like a lot of people are jumping on new houses. When the market finally flattened out they will be upside down. You should wait till at least 3 years and see if will be able to get one for less than msrp. Just my opinion. I’m not worried about it. My 21 Pro is paid for. It’s not going anywhere.

15. Dec 1, 2021 at 6:15 AM
    borla123

borla123 [OP] The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    @RusPro21 - thank you for the response. What if your 2021 truck was 3 years old, low mileage but loaded up and well used each time it is used. You are then in a position after 3 years of using it, to make $5000.
    The other way to look at it. What if I tell myself I am making $3000 on my truck after 3 years of use, and the dealer is discounting the new truck by $2000. Still $5000.
    Also, personally, any other brand I would not consider this. I know though based on my past experiences, that Toyota will clean up any bugs and take care of problems. My opinion.
    Also thank you for all the responses to date. Gotta say that I am surprised as the big majority have said to keep my 2018. Its helping to temper my emotions for the new truck. On another note I can't believe how ugly the rims are on the TRD Offroad version.

IndianaGeologist likes this.
  16. Dec 1, 2021 at 6:30 AM
    RusPro21

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    You have made some good points. You asked if I was in the same position. I don’t drive my Pro a lot. I have very low mileage on it now. In 3 years I probably have less than 15,000 miles on it. I use my work car for work a lot. You say you love it. And to make sure of it on your decision I would be test driving them a couple of times before you give up that V8 engine. Me personally I would not order one till I’m sure I want it. That’s just me. If your truck is paid for that’s a big deciding factor. If this goes on for the next year and half with these high prices I think you have plenty of time to decide. Just like me it would be hard for me to go back to a 4runner Pro all because of the V6 now that I have the V8 and driving both of them for quite some time. I would not rush into it. I know everyone is in a different cituation. Good luck on your decision.

17. Dec 1, 2021 at 6:40 AM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr somewhere remote guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    You get great fuel economy in your current truck and love driving it. I’d wait a couple years. Or longer. It’s not it’s broke. Why fix it?

Also, I would not necessarily expect a dealership to give me an inflated trade-in value for my current truck and then sell me a new one at a discount or even right at msrp.

When it comes time to actually sign the papers for your new truck, this deal is all but guaranteed to not look nearly as good as it does right now.

DarkMint likes this.
  18. Dec 1, 2021 at 6:52 AM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    First, Welcome from LA (Lower Alabama)! I will have to go with the majority here. Financially, it is wiser to keep your 2018. If you really want a 3rd gen, wait for 2023 or 2024 so they can work out some of the kinks.

Kentuckytundra and thermal like this.
  19. Dec 1, 2021 at 7:30 AM
    BecauseRacecar

BecauseRacecar New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '20 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4 Magnetic Gray
    Wanna know the best fix for the gear-hunting? The manual trans option haha. If only we could fix Tundra gear-hunting that way too...

20. Dec 1, 2021 at 7:56 AM
    FlyingWolfe

FlyingWolfe Wolfie

Member:
    First Name:
    Crystal
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Inferno
    One of the guys I fly with had a manual ‘16 for a couple years and sold it. I took it for a joyride when I was on the fence about which gen, thing was a friggin joke. My manual Wrangler was on par which isn’t saying much.
    I dont have any issues with the trans on my Tundra, doesnt hunt.

21. Dec 1, 2021 at 8:31 AM
    art64

art64 New Member

Member:
    With tunes you can lock your gear to prevent gear hunting. Mine works on Tow/Haul + S mode. You watch the rpm. When it goes low i.e. 1700, 1600, downshift it manually. When the rpm picks up again, manually upshift it. When rpm drops to 1500, it will downshift automatically. You can also upshift it with no computer interference or delay provided the rpm will not be below 1500 when upshifted.

22. Dec 1, 2021 at 9:48 AM
    borla123

borla123 [OP] The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    @Terndrerrr

You get great fuel economy in your current truck and love driving it. I’d wait a couple years. Or longer. It’s not it’s broke. Why fix it?

Acceptable fuel economy if I baby it only.

Also, I would not necessarily expect a dealership to give me an inflated trade-in value for my current truck and then sell me a new one at a discount or even right at msrp.

They are giving me an inflated value on my truck now, and selling the new truck with a small discount. This is due to them getting my truck in a trade, and I am therefore paying minimal tax with the trade in value, which would otherwise be Ontario 13% on i.e. $60,000 cdn. so $7800 tax dollars on top.

When it comes time to actually sign the papers for your new truck, this deal is all but guaranteed to not look nearly as good as it does right now.

I agree, that's the thing that bugging me and one of the reasons for this post. It's never going to be as good as it is now due to IMO the lack of used vehicles on lots right now (how long will this last - any guesses?),

and the 5.7 engine. Will the interest in used Tundras with 5.7's last another

a) 1 year
    b) 2 years
    c) force Toyota to bring it back with better transmission and gear ratio ? or
    d) the New V6TT will make people forget about it

23. Dec 1, 2021 at 10:01 AM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Yes. If you can get a new one at msrp

Joro43 likes this.
  24. Dec 1, 2021 at 10:07 AM
    RusPro21

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    Question for you Borla 123 I may have overlooked this. Is your tundra paid for?

25. Dec 1, 2021 at 10:10 AM
    Terndrerrr

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    19/20mpg is GREAT in these trucks.

I’m saying that I’m highly skeptical of the deal they’re offering you—inflated trade-in vs a small discount on new? If that is actually the deal when it comes time to sign everything and they didn’t sneak something by, I’ll be surprised. But then again, you might be working with a legit dealership. All the Toyota dealers around me are dishonest and sneaky.

Regarding your question, I think it will be
    (e) it will continue to hold its value exceptionally well just like every older generation of every Toyota truck made. It will most likely stay inflated in value because there are no more v8s. Think about how many Ford drivers opt for the 5.0 instead of the Ecoboost v6. Toyota didn’t give us that option.

klarmer, AZBoatHauler and FlyingWolfe like this.
  26. Dec 1, 2021 at 10:16 AM
    Lightning_Lad

Lightning_Lad New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Orange CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Sky Platinum Pro
    Line x Bed liner Trifold Tonneau cover TRD PRO Dual exhaust TRD PRO sway bar TRD PRO air intake TRD PRO suspension TRD PRO LED 2019 Headlight conversion TRD 2020 Wireless charging tray TRD shift knob TRD PRO Grille TRD red anodized dust caps (+25 hp per wheel) Matt black mirror caps and door handles Tesla style Headunit KTJO 4x4 tail gate pop n lock upgrade Driver side grab handle Viper Remote start Viper alarm system 18” Method NV’s 33.5” Toyo R/T ESP Long box underseat storage 3M ceramic tint
    To the OP,

1) Congrats on the 2018, it’s a great truck and will offer many years of faithful service.

2) The used market IS coco loco right now, if you truly don’t need the vehicle AND you can wait up to 18 months for a new vehicle. You should consider selling the 18, invest the profits while you wait for the 2022/2023.

3) The new car market is running out of steam, supply is just not catching up to 10+ months of pent up consumer demand. People who need a new car are getting “F’d” in the A right now. For eg. My classmate had a DD crash into his parked 2005 Tundra. Long story.
    He just bought a 2021 SR5, 4x4 Trail edition.
    $58,000...
    He went to 4 different dealerships and this was one of the only 2021’s he could find. Point is, he went from paid off vehicle to a $900/month payment for the next 4 years.
    Because he needed a truck...

4) I love my 2017 Platinum it has 20k miles in almost 4 years of ownership. I also LOVE the 2022 TRD Pro/1794/Platinum’s
    I’m planning to buy one in 2023 or 2024 once supply is stable and the initial surge of buyers has dried up.

Terndrerrr and FlyingWolfe like this.
  27. Dec 1, 2021 at 10:32 AM
    RusPro21

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    That crazy $900 payment!! That’s like other people trading in when they still owe money and there payment doubles because they have to have that new car or truck.

28. Dec 1, 2021 at 10:41 AM
    borla123

borla123 [OP] The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    @RusPro21

its paid for.

@Terndrerrr

19/20mpg is GREAT in these trucks.

When I go to the cottage I am travelling on roads that have a 80km/50mph speed limit due to the winding roads. So speeds average 80-100km . This is right in the sweet spot on the truck even loaded down. Like its idling, taps on the gas seem all that is needed. A friends Ridgeline loaded down got worse mileage and it has a high rear end gear ratio like the Tundra. Was rev'ing much higher though. The RL is great at pulling out boats.

klarmer and RusPro21 like this.
  29. Dec 1, 2021 at 11:05 AM
    borla123

borla123 [OP] The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    @mattefred

Surely you're aware that the sales rep is doing what is best for them and their dealer principal. They've undoubtedly run the numbers, as you have, but they have all of the information. You don't. I would suspect that the sales rep is less of a 'betting man' than you are and is attempting to pursue a sure thing for him or herself and their dealer principal.

I can tell you that two dealers gave me low numbers on my truck, then called me back two weeks later with inflated prices after they did not hear back from me. They were not aware of the recent market, or being cheap.

In almost every market a non-luxury or collectors vehicle is a depreciating asset. Obviously assets that depreciate are a poor investment. The current market is extraordinary. Extraordinary markets do not last forever. Again, you're trying to time the market and without a known price for the new truck and you're just hoping that the market will match your expectations when it'll be time to purchase.

I know what the price is for the new truck it was given to me. MSRP minus small discount. I have the trade in value for my truck. What I don't have, until 2 more weeks I'm told, is the ability to see a truck on the lot. So I am hoping you guys will shape my opinion, you already have - 8^) when I go in to look.

30. Dec 1, 2021 at 11:12 AM
    Terndrerrr

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    :monocle: Exactly. Highly skeptical that this is truly the deal and that it won’t change after the dealer feels that they have set the hook, so to speak.

Mattedfred[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top