1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I do it? Tacoma for Tundra?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Lorazapam, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Feb 5, 2016 at 4:59 PM
    Lorazapam

Lorazapam [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport DBCB
    New guy here. I'm sure this question gets posted quite often, please forgive me.

Just as I'm finishing up on my loan on my 2013 Tacoma, it has me thinking that maybe I want more. I love my Taco, there is nothing wrong with it. It has performed flawlessly. One thing that does irritate me, is that IF I were to lift and add 33's / 34's to it, my mileage would drop to 15 mpg (hwy). My level of thought is if I do the same to a Tundra, I'm only going to be 1 mpg less than that.

I'm on the fence with a 2016 TRD Pro Tundra (Double Cab). I have a car for my commuting so actually gas really isn't a big deal. I mainly use my truck for winter use, trail driving, and for towing a 17.5 foot double hull alumacraft fishing boat. Obviously, my Tacoma works for all of that. If I trade in my truck now, KBB has trade in value at 25-26k.

I don't really know if I'm going to regret this or not... I mean the downside of a Tundra for me is it being a bit harder to maneuver especially in the city.

2. Feb 5, 2016 at 5:05 PM
    mdavis

mdavis I need a beer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    Why not have both? :) I would like to have a taco just as a daily driver and keep my Tundra for the weekends.

jfrd30 likes this.
  3. Feb 5, 2016 at 5:06 PM
    mdavis

mdavis I need a beer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    And welcome to the site!

4. Feb 5, 2016 at 5:29 PM
    Lorazapam

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Haha! I would love to do that, but already have a car that's my daily driver and gas saver.

5. Feb 5, 2016 at 5:34 PM
    mdavis

mdavis I need a beer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    In all seriousness though, I love my Tundra and have no regrets buying it. If you make the switch, you won't regret it either. They are great trucks! I've never had a taco but would absolutely love to have one a "toy". Either way, sounds like your sticking with Toyota. :thumbsup:

6. Feb 5, 2016 at 5:37 PM
    Island woody

Island woody New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2016 crew max 4x4
    Lift kit, Borla exhaust, 35 inch tires
    Tough question, taco value takes a big hit in 2 years, how many miles on it? My son drives a 13 taco and I the 16 tundra, both great trucks

7. Feb 5, 2016 at 5:38 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    Welcome from Obx, do it! Get the Tundra

8. Feb 5, 2016 at 5:40 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Welcome! I came from a Tacoma (09 DCSB TRD O/R; lifted, sliders, 33" etc)
    I am averaging 17.3'ish MPG in my tundra now (S/C'd; 34.41" wheels etc) The only regret i have is wheeling...however, I just ride with buddies or use one of their rigs.

9. Feb 5, 2016 at 6:00 PM
    JC303

JC303 Same same but different

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Aurora, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra 5.7
    If you wheel a lot keep the taco, if you tow, want more power, more interior space, bigger bed and a new truck, get a tundra and you won't regret it. Welcome from CO.

crazymanson and jfrd30 like this.
  10. Feb 5, 2016 at 6:11 PM
    jfrd30

jfrd30 Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell Out of My Way

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Tundra
    Welcome from Florida. What he said!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^

crazymanson likes this.
  11. Feb 5, 2016 at 6:35 PM
    Lorazapam

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the replies!

Another question I thought of... Vehicle longevity. I've heard of the 2nd gen 4.0 Tacos going 300k miles without any major problems. Some I've heard going over the 400k mark and still going. I'm reading about how Tundras need their timing belts replaced every 100k miles whereas in the Tacoma it doesn't need that. Being that the Tundra is a bit heavier (by about 1000-1400 pounds), wouldn't that create more wear and tear over time?

12. Feb 5, 2016 at 6:41 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    I believe only 1st gens have timing belts? 2-3rd are chains, IIRC...someone correct me if I'm wrong.

13. Feb 5, 2016 at 6:46 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    The 5.7 and 4.6 have chains, my 08 4.7 has a belt 2007-present

T-Rex266 likes this.
  14. Feb 5, 2016 at 7:12 PM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    Because Tundra forum. (so ya' know what we're gonna say)

Yes maneuverability can be an issue, as with any large vehicle. You'll forget all about that once you put your foot to the floor a time or two.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    crazymanson likes this.
  15. Feb 5, 2016 at 7:54 PM
    Boozer

Boozer New Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Tundra CrewMax TRD
    Tundra is a mans truck !

jfrd30 and T-Rex266 like this.
  16. Feb 5, 2016 at 9:41 PM
    Cutter29

Cutter29 ...

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2015 Super White TRD PRO
    I went from an 06 taco with 3" lift and 33s to a 15 pro crewmax. I loved the Tacoma and it was bittersweet getting a new truck. There are trade offs. I love the extra room in the tundra but it came with losing some of the maneuverability of the taco. The mileage difference wasn't big enough for me to factor. 1-2 mpg isn't the end of the world. Sounds like you have to make the same big decision I made... Do you really want to go back to having a vehicle payment or enjoy having something paid off?

17. Feb 5, 2016 at 10:02 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Welcome from CO. Semper Fi!!!
    I came from a Taco to Tundra for the towing and raw power /torque. I can take my Tundra pretty much anywhere. I've lifted it which doesn't hurt, for clearance . The only limitation is the size of the Tundra. I 4 wheel a lot and I'm not afraid to get a few scratches. Scratches easily anyways. It's more about having some balls, experience, and not so much about the bazillions of $ that you think you have to spend to "get your truck ready" to have a good time for 4 wheeling. Super Chargers are very cool, but not necessary unless you want to drag a 1/4 mile and some here do race their Tundras on the weekends and usually kick ass. Been 4 wheeling now for 44 years. (older than most of you here). I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about occasionally. heh heh. I'm old school. Oh, .............who gives a rat's behind about whether you can save a couple of MPG's with a large truck..... If your worried about MPGs' buy a pweeus. (joking of course). Tacoma or Tundra, you can't go wrong. There are ways to tweak your truck for better mpgs. I get 14 to 15 mpg on the freeway. City driving kills my mpg average. It would get better mpgs if I didn't have the M/Ts. It doesn't take too long to get used to the Tundras size. Parking in town can be a pain at times and the trails I run seem to have shrunk in width. I've had to back up on more than one occasion until I can find a place to turn around which can get interesting.

By the way, here in Metro Denver, both trucks go for a premium used. It's crazy what used ones go for. Their value used holds up very well here.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  18. Feb 5, 2016 at 10:03 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Welcome! Go for the Tundra. You will miss the Taco but love the Tundra.

jfrd30 likes this.
  19. Feb 5, 2016 at 10:33 PM
    Red Freighter

Red Freighter Red Freighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Oregon City
    Vehicle:
    2013 double cab sr5 trd red
    2014 TRD wheels and TRd pro center caps. Stock 2014 running boards. Stereo gps dvd deck two 12" subs w/amp. Dvd Headrests. Rear air bags with compressor and air tank.
    I would suggest looking more into resale value. I went by kbb and had to take my phone off the hook and ending up selling it for a lot less than what I really could of got. I totally understand what it feels like selling the best vehicle you've ever owned. A tough decision only you can make. I've heard the 3.5 liter in the new Taco's don't have as much torque as the 4.0 which could affect your truck's value. Don't trust kbb.

jfrd30 likes this.
  20. Feb 5, 2016 at 10:46 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I do know that the new Atkinson V-6 has 265 LBS-ft and 42 more HP/compression than the previous V-6. The new Atkinson is definitely superior.

Red Freighter[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Feb 5, 2016 at 10:49 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:

Go for the Tundra. Harder to maneuver at first. I had a Taco. Your're not worried about mpg. Get a couple offers for your Taco. Play against a couple dealers for the best deal. You have the advantage.

22. Feb 5, 2016 at 10:54 PM
    Red Freighter

Red Freighter Red Freighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Oregon City
    Vehicle:
    2013 double cab sr5 trd red
    2014 TRD wheels and TRd pro center caps. Stock 2014 running boards. Stereo gps dvd deck two 12" subs w/amp. Dvd Headrests. Rear air bags with compressor and air tank.
    Thanks Matt let's keep the info correct. He should ask if there's anybody that regretted selling their Taco for a Tundra.

jfrd30, rons23 and Black Wolf like this.
  23. Feb 5, 2016 at 10:59 PM
    crazymanson

crazymanson New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra DBL Cab 4x4
    First of all ... I had a 2012 Taco with a 3" lift with 33" tires and still got 20mpg. Very impressive I must say... Tacos are awesome trucks, I owned 4 of them. I now own a 2016 SR5 Tundra and was an awesome decision. I needed more power and I got exactly that.. Love it!

24. Feb 5, 2016 at 11:00 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    The Atkinson may have less torque as you mentioned ( I'm not sure) but it looks to be a pretty good upgrade.

25. Feb 5, 2016 at 11:01 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I'd like to have both. I miss my Taco, but love my Tundra.

crazymanson[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. Feb 5, 2016 at 11:46 PM
    Tracker

Tracker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Colorado, Denver Burbs
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tundra SR5 Lifted
    Pro Comp Lift, towing mirrors, Fuel rims, Toyo A/T, Nav, Viper remote start
    What the heck am I doing wrong then, I am averaging 12.4 right now and I have been feathering the gas. Highest I have ever seen is 12.7. Truly bummed about this so far.

27. Feb 5, 2016 at 11:48 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I'm averaging currently 11.1.

28. Feb 6, 2016 at 4:12 AM
    AMRE2ME2

AMRE2ME2 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC 4x4 Limited TRD
    Lifting your truck and putting on bigger tires will kill your mileage. I'm averaging around 16 with stock tires and a 2.5" lift. I use chains a lot for running back roads with a lot of snow, so bigger tires are not even an option for me. I'll take my better mpg.

29. Feb 6, 2016 at 4:35 AM
    RLHULK

RLHULK Too many gamma rays in all that BBQ smoke.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Oklahoma, Toyota seat trim durability tester
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    Still rolling stock baby....

Welcome and go Tundra, Tacos are great but if room is what you want and power Tundra is what you seek....

Off topic, whats your ARFcom screen name? :infantry::cheers: :worthless:

30. Feb 6, 2016 at 6:58 AM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    Mixed?

I was getting around 13-14 mixed before the S/C came in...

Yours is also brand new. It's going to take sometime for it to adjust to your driving habits and such...that and we're all also using winter fuel.

Not sure what weight you have on your wheels and tires, but that may play a small factor too.

Products Discussed in

To Top