1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I buy???

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by dallas99, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Apr 24, 2015 at 5:56 AM
    dallas99

dallas99 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello all. I am new to this forum. I am sure it is as good as other forums I am a member of where everyone gives good advice.

I am looking at buying a 2003 Tundra stepside X-cab 4x4 for my son. It has 62K miles after four owners. The first owner had it repoed at 2200k miles so probably can't really count that one. The second owner put 40K miles on in 2 1/2 years. The third owner put 10k miles on in six months. The last owner had it from 2007 to present starting with 53K miles, so put on 9K miles in 7 years. I believe the last owner was very elderly which may account for the low miles. I could not find anything wrong with the under carriage, ball joints, etc... The engine sounded good but I am not a mechanic. No lifters knocking etc.. It was apparrent the vehicle sat due to there being leaves under the hood as well as cracked pecans. Probably a squirrel. I didn't see any chewed wires and there was no check engine light. There was a new gas cap on the truck as well as crusty dirt around where the gas cap is located.

My question is what is yawls opion of a Tundra that was not driven very much over 7-8 years???? The dealer is asking what NADA is saying is the price to ask. $14k.

My other hold up is if my 6'3" son can fit comfortably in the truck. Anyone that tall responding to this?

Thanks to all. I really am open to everyones opinions! I am going to look at it for the second time today.
    IMG_0664.jpg

2. Apr 24, 2015 at 6:21 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Welcome. Do you know a good mechanic that you can trust? Ask him to go with you to the dealer and have a look and test drive it. Looks like a decent truck and low miles.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  3. Apr 24, 2015 at 6:39 AM
    FunkinTundra

FunkinTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra 5.7 CM
    OME614 full suspension\ Ekstrom design 3" shackles and poly bushing kit\ 295/70r18 Toyo MTs/ +20 offset Fuel Anzas\ 8" BAmuffler....etc...
    I'd go with @matluth s advice...but I can tell you that i have been in several 1st gens and I am 6'4" :) Your son is good to go!

4. Apr 24, 2015 at 7:33 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    i have the same year and stepside and mine is black.. stepsides are getting RARE and there value has gone up since i bought mine.

Problems first is all the recalls from rust to airbag tho the dealer will do that at no charge to you..

Second 2uz engine or (4.7) is a inference engine... Timing belt and the rollers with water pump should be changed. Dont let the belt snap! it will destroy this engine. If your son has a HEAVY foot on this engine it will not last. The 2uz has very WEAK RODS from the factory and this engine will give no warning on failure, its a problem without a correct rebuild using different parts ( other than OEM). If he doesnt have a heavy foot and show off the engine will be good to him as it does make some very nice torque and can last 500,000 miles plus with proper care . Alot of this depends on him and the way he drives.

5. Apr 24, 2015 at 8:06 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Welcome!

Are they selling this as a "certified" used truck? They should have an entire check list they go over for it to be "certified"

6. Apr 24, 2015 at 8:14 AM
    Primo

Primo White Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Primo
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR Double Cab
    Level kit and TRD Pro Grill Installed.
    Salutations from San Antonio. Nice looking step side for sure. The timing belt is coming up for a change at 80-90 miles. If your going to buy the truck, I would have the dealer change the timing belt and water pump. That way you can visually check the water pump and check the timing belt. Its an older truck and that timing belt might have dry cracks in it. 14 K ? I would offer 10,500 or 11,000 at the most. and even 12 cash if they change the timing belt and water pump. Good dealings.

7. Apr 24, 2015 at 5:19 PM
    Rkcruza

Rkcruza New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra AC 4WD TRD OR SR5
    De Badged / Decaled, Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags w/ Daystar Cups, 17" Rims, Big Brake kit w/ slotted & drilled rotors, plus lots of work related stuff.
    I'm 6'2", no problems fitting in the 1st gen and I'm really long waisted. Plenty of headroom. I agree with the issue of the Timing Belt as they are scheduled to be changed at 90k but I think I would have it changed early due to the age and lack of use. Water pump is a no brainer as you are already there to do the timing belt. Not sure about the 4.7 and oil leaks...one of the biggest issues I have with my FJ40 is that it always has an oil leak somewhere. Not from lack of maint, simply from lack of use...thinks dry out and get leaks. If all seems tight and it runs good there should be no issues. If the price is close to what the online calculators say and you like the truck, go for it!

Products Discussed in

To Top