1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I Buy a 2015 Tundra Pro????

Discussion in '2.5 Gen TRD Pro (2014-2021)' started by TheBucsAnthem, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Jun 26, 2019 at 2:34 PM
    Reelman

Reelman New Member

Member:
    You made the right choice. What a terrible dealership. They need to own it when something isn’t right. Sorry for all the crud you had to endure. However, just imagine how bad you’d feel if you bought it. Every time you drove it, you would have been reminded of all the crud you dealt with to get it and would have had to buy new tires!

2. Jun 26, 2019 at 7:25 PM
    G10dra

G10dra Not a New Member

Member:
    It sucks that they treated you like this. You should write to toyota about your experience on twitter for everyone to see. When you publicly point out an issue or experience most companies start paying attention immediately.
    Sometimes public shaming is needed for such dealerships

I believe that the dealership wanted to sell the truck as CPO so that they would make extra money as CPO but once a buyer buys the truck, any and all repairs done would be charged back to toyota as CPO warranty would cover it and that way the dealership does take the hit for any parts and labor. In your case they knew you weren’t coming back 16 hours to get anything fixed.

As part of the CPO program a 160 point inspection includes , I quote

“The Inspection requires that factory-trained technicians complete any necessary repairs and reconditioning before we call the vehicle certified.”
    Source

I hope you find another inferno PRO and then you get the opportunity to send a F.U to that sales guy.

3. Jun 26, 2019 at 7:41 PM
    Raider0311

Raider0311 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 1794
    Roll n Lock bed cover, Icon Stage 8, RXT leaf pk, 18" XD Bully's, Nitto 35's, Billet UCA's
    So did you get it?

4. Jun 26, 2019 at 7:52 PM
    Raider0311

Raider0311 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 1794
    Roll n Lock bed cover, Icon Stage 8, RXT leaf pk, 18" XD Bully's, Nitto 35's, Billet UCA's
    I had the same story with buying a Raptor. I tried to hate my Tundra It's funny when you go to a dealership and know more than the turd trying to make a sale. Long story short I found this forum and still driving a Tundra.....oh and I'm in the process of spending lots of money making it bad ass (to me) Sorry buddy. Hope something works out.

5. Jun 26, 2019 at 7:53 PM
    markg

markg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD
    I know I can save on a pre-owned and sometimes it is worth it. But the car better be great without issues.
    More so than not, there has been problems and thats why they are traded. Not always though, they are rare.
    I think you did the absolute correct thing and walked.

6. Jun 26, 2019 at 7:58 PM
    gdog_Tundra

gdog_Tundra New Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited CrewMax
    3 inch ToyTec coilovers, Dakar Leaf pack, Dirty Deeds 8 inch stainless exhaust, LED DRL headlights
    You did yourself a huge favor! Truck was overpriced by 5K IMO....who was the douche bag dealership?
    G

7. Jun 26, 2019 at 8:21 PM
    BuckWallace

BuckWallace Ball don't lie.

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    Sorry that all happened man, that really sucks. They 100% knew about the issues and were just hoping they'd wear you down enough to buy the truck. They knew you were flying in and were probably banking on you just giving in and buying. I've had numerous local dealers try to play off obvious issues/damage and act like they didn't know anything about it when I pointed issues out within two minutes.

If you still want a Pro and find one out of town again, start a post and see if anyone on this forum locally can go take a look at it for you—I'm sure many would be willing. Good luck!

driverdog and Rica25 like this.
  8. Jun 27, 2019 at 10:55 AM
    gdog_Tundra

gdog_Tundra New Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited CrewMax
    3 inch ToyTec coilovers, Dakar Leaf pack, Dirty Deeds 8 inch stainless exhaust, LED DRL headlights
    Why would you want that damn color anyway?....lol
    G

monaco730 and TXMiamiFan[QUOTED] like this.
  9. Jun 27, 2019 at 12:01 PM
    phabej

phabej New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    NO LONGER HAVE A TUNDRA... Waiting
    LOL like money grows on trees. 8K is A LOT of money.

Fastestcolor likes this.
  10. Jun 27, 2019 at 3:01 PM
    EAK

EAK New Member

Member:
    KY
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 White 1794
    BAMuffler 8” SS Bilstein 6112/5160 Icon UCAs
    I agree, money is money. However, adding the $8k to a loan would increase the monthly payment <$200/mo. For what many on this forum spend on their trucks, it would not be a deal killer. Plus, you get the factory warranty protection from a lemon.

That's the problem on being on the buying side of Tundra ownership. The delta between the price of new and used is relatively small.

11. Oct 23, 2019 at 11:51 PM
    Fastestcolor

Fastestcolor New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Blue Ribbon Limited CM
    who cars how much more a month anything is? It’s still $8,000 dollars!!

12. Oct 24, 2019 at 12:39 AM
    Fastestcolor

Fastestcolor New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Blue Ribbon Limited CM
    So I did the same thing as you about a year ago. I don’t buy new cars, I just can’t bring myself to do it. Makes zero financial sense from a depreciation standpoint even on Toyota’s.

I live in SE FL and ran into exactly what you were saying with scams and BS from dealers. I can travel by air for free and am will to make a days drive back home to save a few grand. So I expanded my search from Texas eastward and Tennessee southward back to SFL as I didn’t want a truck that had been in snow and ice. I found about 10 similar limited trim trucks with similar mileage ‘15-16 that I was willing to buy.

I sent an email to all of them and asked for their best out the door price and Id buy the best deal the next day. Because quite honestly I don’t care how they structure it as long as it’s not more than what I’m willing to pay for the value of the truck plus tax. You want to add a $700 dealer fee go ahead but the sales price will be adjusted down $700. Always negotiate OTD pricing on what you want to pay plus tax in your area. The rest is BS but they can write it up however they like imo. I also prefer to pay cash and this goes back to not buying new and you can’t get 0% on a used car. Paying interest on a depreciating asset doesn’t make financial sense imo. Some places will ask in the negotiation how you plan to pay. I tell them whatever gets me the best deal. I’ll sign the paperwork on financing to save some money and then just pay it off the next day.

Got responses from about five spread across the search area. Just so happened that best deal was also my favorite of the lot and five hours away in Tampa.

I’ll admit even after a little more negotiation they weren’t far below their advertised price but they were advertising much lower than the others already. I’d made the salesman clear that I would be there tomorrow to sign papers but the truck better exactly as advertised and maybe he better drive it himself and take a picture of so much as a scratch in the center console between the seat where no one can see because I’ll be looking. He did and actually sent me back some stuff that most people would’ve never noticed. I liked that. I said sounds good, now take any dealer badging off it and I’ll see you in the morning.

Drove up that evening popped for a night in a hotel and went to the dealer first thing the next morning. Truck was absolutely better than the pictures and drove beautifully. I signed papers, wired the money, shook hands, and drove five hours home with my 15 limited crew max in blue ribbon metallic with 32k miles.

Point being that there are a lot of dealers pushing BS and as you already know you have to know what you want and be patient and willing travel and walk if it’s not as advertised. More effort, oh yes but the savings off of new is worth it and with Toyota reliability you can have good piece of mind if the car wasn’t previously abused. I actually looked at certified trucks not nearly in the condition my non-certified truck was. If learned that often certified doesn’t mean much more than a higher price.

So I’ll give a shout out to Castriota Chevrolet in New Port Richey, FL where I bought my tundra as I’d buy from them again. I only wish they were a Toyota dealer so I’d be more likely to because I just can’t see buying a chevy anytime soon. They were friendly as was I during all interactions but they knew I was a serious buyer and I knew my numbers.

Bought my wife’s two year old new to us Honda Odyssey the exact same way and ironically at a different chevy dealer. Finding a quality minivan at a good price that hadn’t been beat to hell by kids was a challenge but it exists and the savings off new was well worth it.

3 years into the odyssey and 1 year into the tundra and both have been flawless.

I do wish I had the larger tank in the tundra though.

You did the right thing walking away. Only option you could’ve tried is maybe asking them to put on a new set of tires and if the vibration goes away they can put the old ones back on and you’ll know that’s your issue. I pretty much negotiate used cars knowing I’m probably buy a new set of tires pretty soon after purchase.

Hope you found a good truck eventuallyz

BuckWallace and DaBoro54 like this.
  13. Oct 24, 2019 at 4:01 AM
    georgie

georgie New Member

Member:
    When I buy used I go private owner. Dealerships are stealer ships ! Plus going thru a stealership for used your paying a middle man. Screw pre owner certified.

BuckWallace likes this.
  14. Oct 24, 2019 at 10:06 AM
    Fastestcolor

Fastestcolor New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Blue Ribbon Limited CM
    That’s true but when buying a late model used vehicle it’s very unlikely to find many options private party.

15. Oct 24, 2019 at 10:30 AM
    TundraDude18

TundraDude18 Deus vult

Member:
    'Merica
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited CM
    Silver Bullet Express
    Because of the high re-sale and reliability [how long you can drive them], I like buying Toyotas new.

Keep looking, don't rush, and eventually you'll know it when you see it!:thumbsup:

16. Oct 24, 2019 at 2:16 PM
    phabej

phabej New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    NO LONGER HAVE A TUNDRA... Waiting

200 is gas money. :rofl:

Products Discussed in

To Top