1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shopping for a new 2020 Tundra

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by sammzway, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Feb 21, 2020 at 7:43 PM
    sammzway

sammzway [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle:
    2003 GX470, 2019 Acura MDX, 2017 BMW 530i
    Hi team,

I've been hanging around reading posts and threads for a while and finally decided to join the forum since I am now considering a 2020 Tundra. Out of all the other Tundra forums, this one seems to be the best one with active and knowledgable members. Any who... so my BMW 530i lease will end in 5 months and I am looking to replace it with a Tundra. My number one reason to purchase a Tundra is because I can fit 3 car seats in the back hassle free. I have 3 kids (1 year, 3 year and 6 year old) and all three hates 3rd row seat. Which leaves me with the only safe option of a full size pick-up. Plus the bed will allow me to throw everything baby related and not worry about what to leave behind when we travel.

I have 5 months to go until my BMW lease is up, so I am taking my time with figuring out exactly what I want. Especially since this will be a purchase and not a lease. Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated from everyone.

Any dads with 3 car seats installed? Any kind of info would be greatly appreciated on pros and cons.

I'm leaning towards a Platinum because I want the parking sensors, leather, moonroof and auto-folding mirrors. Any reason why I should go towards a Limited vs Platinum?

Are the standard tires that the Platinum trim is equipped with safe on wet and snowy roads? Should I get the dealer to change tires prior to taking delivery?

Is an after-market warranty necessary? I don't mind fixing the small things and wear and tear out of pocket but these trucks are proven to be reliable. Do you guys and gals find it necessary to definitely have an extended warranty?

This vehicle will be used as my daily driver work/home and long distance traveling with the family. Please feel free to suggest anything and everything.

2. Feb 21, 2020 at 8:07 PM
    808skycm

808skycm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Sky Crewmax 4x4
    Hey I think you are making a good choice, I only have two kids(5 & 2) but I know I wouldn’t have an issue if we had a third. You wouldn’t be able to fit three full child seats but if your older one is in a booster like mine then you are fine fitting that in the middle of the two full seats(Crewmax). Leg room is ridiculous, with the seats installed near the doors the older one will still be able to do cartwheels between them and the front seats let alone be able to climb in and access their seat in the middle. When both girls were in full car seats(the ones we had were huge too) we were still able to fit a big umbrella stroller folded up on the ground in front of them. Hope this helps, sorry I don’t have any advice about the other options since I have a SR5(dealer just called to tell me my Pro arrived today, picking up tmw!)

3. Feb 21, 2020 at 8:10 PM
    KeetAz

KeetAz New Member

Member:
    Gilbert AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 SuperWhite PRO
    I run 2 car seats with my 10 year old sitting in the middle. It’s plenty of space for them. Other than the techy stuff you mentioned, the platinum’s leather seats are better. If your looking to keep the truck for a long time, I’d go all the way on the Platinum. As far as snow and such on the tires, I can’t chime in here as I live in AZ and don’t deal with snow...

Warranties are personal preference, but I don’t get them. Especially for what they charge for them. So each their own. If your buying a 50k truck, I’d say you’d be able to afford minor repairs. Keep in mind the gas mileage on the tundra if it’s your daily driver. You will feel it in the wallet.

4. Feb 21, 2020 at 9:24 PM
    mcm0455

mcm0455 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Platinum
    I just bought a Platinum a few days ago and could not be happier. I will drive the OEM tires until next fall then I will be using a winter wheel/tire package from Tire Rack. The finance guy wasn't too happy that I denied all his fluff but I have done this 5 times so I am ready when I go to the shark tank.
    I never thought that I could drive a Tundra let alone a Platinum. Financing $7500 probably netted the dealer $200 but whatever, I will have the truck paid off in less than a year.

5. Feb 22, 2020 at 8:58 AM
    jonjc23

jonjc23 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Limted White CM
    I have a 2015 Limited CM and have 3 car seats installed with no issue. Although with a 7, 5 and 3 year old there are many times I wish I had a third row. And a limo divider window.....

BlackSheep and Green Thunder like this.
  6. Feb 22, 2020 at 9:08 AM
    TOYOTRD8

TOYOTRD8 New Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2017 TUNDRA SR5 TRD OFF-ROAD
    TRD Pro Grilled, Color match bumper end caps, OEM LED headlights, MX4 Bed cover, GoRhino RB20,TRS LED Fog Lights, Camburg leveling kits, SR8 wheels, STT Pro tires 295/70/18 and heritage decal.
    It will be an excellent choice for crew max platinum. As all above mentioned you won’t run into problems with 3 car seats. As myself have two car seats and my wife like to seat in the back just to keep an eye out on our new born. The back seats has a lot of legs room. She even can climb in and out without remove the car seat first.

7. Feb 22, 2020 at 9:24 AM
    Theonlyway

Theonlyway New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    User
  8. Feb 22, 2020 at 10:02 AM
    sammzway

sammzway [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for all the feedback. Sounds like I made the right choice. I’m convinced that as my girls get older the bed will be utilized more than it will now.

it’s funny how as you age comfort and practicality starts taking priority over everything else. I used to have a 350Z which I thought I’d never sell and had plenty of space .

Platinum comes with a few extra goodies that will eventually pay off as the truck will age I think. I’m still trying to justify whether 4-5k extra is worth spending. Based on everyone’s response seems like it is a good idea.

As far as gas mileage goes, I’m sure it will be similar to what my GX470 guzzles. I don’t have a heavy foot anymore. So that should help as well.

I guess I’ll skip the warranty.

Thanks team.

9. Feb 22, 2020 at 10:05 AM
    sammzway

sammzway [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle:
    Theonlyway[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Feb 22, 2020 at 10:21 AM
    Theonlyway

Theonlyway New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    User

Yeah it’s a little concerning having little ones

11. Feb 22, 2020 at 11:02 AM
    sammzway

sammzway [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle:
  12. Feb 22, 2020 at 11:46 AM
    SIMPLYTHETRUTH

SIMPLYTHETRUTH THE ALBINO RHINO

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement TRD
    S&B Cold Air Intake, Recon light bar, Rough Country light bar, Cali ditch lights, aFe throttle spacer,
    Wait for the 2021/2022 Tundy:thumbsup:

Theonlyway likes this.
  13. Feb 22, 2020 at 12:24 PM
    19h341

19h341 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    League City
    Vehicle:
    19 MGM crew
    Tint, scs ray 10s, bfg 275/70/18
    I had three kids in car seats in a dbl cab and I loved it. I could reach back there any time I needed to. With the crew max I cannot reach into the back seat from the front seat. No grabbing things off the floor at lights or helping the kids. When you need to. I have to unbuckle and put the truck in park to reach the kids. My wife likes the extra room in the back seat for getting the kids in and out of the truck that’s about the only plus. I almost wish I stayed with a double cab kids do not need room

14. Feb 22, 2020 at 5:33 PM
    chrisbusnut

chrisbusnut New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pasadena, CA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Crew Max SR5 4x4 w/TRD Off Road pkg
    DiamondBack bed cover, SDHQ sliders, SwitchPro, Katzkin leather seats, TRD Pro grille, TRD Pro wheels w/Nitto Ridge Grappers, Toyota OEM leather steering wheel, SSO Slimline Hybrid Bumper w/Baja Designs S8 light bar, Warn Zeon Platinum 10-S winch, Baja Design rock lights & flush mount rear bumper lights
    One thing I noticed, regarding putting car seats in the rear seat of the Crewmax, is that the center position does not have LATCH connectors (at least on my SR5). The outboard seats do have them. I just had my sister in town with her 4 year old, and the 5 of us took the Tundra up to the mountains. She wanted the car seat in the middle so we had to use the seat belt and top tether. Some other cars have LATCH in the rear center. But if you don't mind using the center seat belt to secure the car seat, or just put the oldest child in the middle, then you should be fine.

I love my 2020!

Theonlyway and sammzway[OP] like this.
  15. Feb 23, 2020 at 10:23 AM
    Tundra14Platinum

Tundra14Platinum I love reading the CoC in my spare time

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2014 Platinum CM Sky Silver
    TRD PRO Grill/Headlights, Swaybar, Eibach

Products Discussed in

To Top