1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shipping Companies > USPS

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Kung, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Jan 15, 2021 at 12:41 PM
    Kung

Kung [OP] Dead sexy

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 CM 4WD, TRD Off-Road, Voodoo Blue
    Spiffy console tray Spiffy N-Fab steps Spiffy Katzkin seats
    Dumb question for anyone who knows.

Evidently, after the absolutely seamless USPS holiday season, UPS has said to themselves "Y'know, I think the USPS should deliver our packages locally." :D (At least, in our area anyways.)

Anyone seeing more of this recently? I saw this almost never prior to the 2020 Christmas season...but now, out of about 10 packages from UPS, a solid 8 of them were passed off to the USPS recently - and what's even more odd is that I still see the UPS truck every day.

Any clue what's going on?

2. Jan 15, 2021 at 1:00 PM
    FlyingWolfe

FlyingWolfe Wolfie

Member:
    First Name:
    Crystal
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Inferno
    It's been going on for years. Fedex and UPS hand off to USPS for the 'final mile' delivery where I'm at. My dad delivers UPS packages even though UPS goes by my house as well. Apparently they're doing more of it to pass the buck because everyone is overwhelmed so they dump their shit on the lowest bidder (USPS). That's my guess and inside scoop anyways. My dads been with USPS 35 years as a rural carrier, he said the UPS semi backs in and shits multiple pallets in their loading dock daily as opposed to the one or two they used to get. I worked there a couple years after the military as well and noped the hell out after working 28 days straight over Xmas (this was back in 2015).
    On a tangent: He is finally retiring this fall thank effing god, brought all his paperwork up to my house this weekend like "crunch me some numbers and let me know what my monthly will be, I'm fucking done as soon as I turn 65". The place is drowning, he's busting his ass to get everything delivered, and they wont/cant hire any help so he's done killing himself to keep up. I'm relieved, I see him drive to work by my house every morning earlier and earlier and not getting home until after dark.

Cpl_Punishment, Kung[OP] and Sunnier like this.
  3. Jan 15, 2021 at 1:49 PM
    Kung

Kung [OP] Dead sexy

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    Oh, I know they've been doing it for years. My point was that where I live, for some reason, they went from occasionally doing it to doing it 90% of the time in the last 2 weeks; and I just was wondering if there's been a marked upshift in this anywhere else.

I totally understand; and while I have no problem making jokes (I mean, gallows humor if nothing else) my mom works for the USPS, as do many friends. They bust their BUTTS, and they deserve EVERY penny they get of their retirements and more.

FlyingWolfe[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jan 15, 2021 at 2:13 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    We have a guy in our area delivering UPS packages out of an F150.

5. Jan 15, 2021 at 2:17 PM
    Kung

Kung [OP] Dead sexy

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    Hrm, I guess it's normal more than I thought.

The lady here drives a beat-up broken-down-looking Chevy Blazer. Nice as can be.

6. Jan 15, 2021 at 2:27 PM
    BayRunner

BayRunner I’m here, except when I’m not

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platinum
    I think everyone is on "cut corners" any way possible to save money. One of my business has been scheduled for daily pickups every day for years. Now they don't want to stop daily and has given our shipping manager the driver's cell phone to call on the days they want to stop. This came from their local management even though we had a system in place when there were no out going shipments. On days where nothing was going out, we had a sign on that notified the driver and he would just cruise on by. If the sign was off, he would stop. Now management does not want him to even cruisse by and we have to call him directly to do a pickup.

Cpl_Punishment and FlyingWolfe like this.
  7. Jan 15, 2021 at 2:31 PM
    bmc02

bmc02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Buddy
    E WA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC SR5 / 06 SEQUOIA LTD
    I've seen ups delivering out of budget rental trucks and I've seen usps out as early as 6 am delivering. Just crazy busy between holidays and covid.

KillaahCam likes this.
  8. Jan 15, 2021 at 3:39 PM
    FlyingWolfe

FlyingWolfe Wolfie

Member:
    First Name:
    Crystal
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Inferno
    Sorry, I went on tangents and got off point, but from what dads been saying, theyre getting about 400% more shit from UPS than usual. At least up our way.

9. Jan 15, 2021 at 4:35 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Over this past year, the practice has increased in this area. I believe it's due to being harder to staff local delivery trucks with the pandemic, plus it's an effort to handle increased small package business more economically.

The everyday commodities we would normally buy semi-monthly at the nearest Target, we have been buying from Amazon. That probably means package traffic has increased tremendously all over the entire country, while Bezos and the shipping companies are getting richer.

If you think about it, using USPS for local delivery is really the optimization of capabilities: UPS, FedEx et al have the resources to move millions of packages a long distance fast. The USPS has to maintain infrastructure for delivery of mail to every single address in the US, which is an existing overhead. The capability to deliver all those small packages to end user utilizes that existing infrastructure. As to how well USPS personnel are utilized, or over-utilized, or how well the USPS manages it's business, I have no knowledge, and therefore no comment. Unlike DJT, I don't blame it on Amazon if the USPS is losing money in the process. If the contract is bad for your institution, then don't make the contract.

What I do know is I presently have an envelope-sized USPS package stuck in Washington, DC for days now. I can only hope that I will eventually receive that package. Whereas, if the sender had sprung for Priority Mail or UPS, I would have had it two days ago. For shipments now, it is worth the extra money to send it UPS imo; that guarantees that your shipment gets to a hub city within a few days or so. From there, UPS will have it out the next day, or USPS no longer than two days.

Edit: Received my package yesterday 1/16/2021. Package was actually moving, not stuck in DC. Received from MD to TX in four days. Not too shabby for First Class under present conditions. It was the USPS tracking service that was faulty, and that's a common problem .

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  10. Jan 15, 2021 at 5:15 PM
    Forkhunter

Forkhunter New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 DC Limited
    Surepost and Smartpost are the economy offerings for UPS and FedEx. Both are non-guaranteed transit time low cost offerings delivered final mile by the post office. At least until recently, as FedEx now delivers almost all these themselves. It could be other stuff in your area, but if it is surepost, that is the business plan from the outset.

DR132 likes this.
  11. Jan 16, 2021 at 6:18 PM
    smokey0810

smokey0810 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '03 Tundra SR5 AC 4WD
    I tell customers that we deliver surepost most of the time when it is for cheap/free delivery. We deliver to the USPS (with a UPS tracking number) and the PO delivers the next day. This has been going on for years. I know when FedEx cut some major ties with Amazon, they brought alot of their smartpost back in house. There are days I can deliver upwards of 150-200 packages to the post office, whereas FedEx will show up with 2. This works well in rural areas as well, because the post office will often have multiple stops in these locations, and it doesn't make financial sense for us (UPS) to drive out in the middle of nowhere for 1 package.
    During peak season (Black Friday - January 15) we have what is called PVDs (Personal Delivery Drivers) delivering packages out of their personal vehicles to mainly residential neighborhoods. Due to increased volume and limited hours for UPS drivers, this works out pretty decent. We use PODS or Storage Units to drop a days worth of deliveries to these PVDs. They load up with a phone provided by UPS and deliver like a regular driver. Have to make multiple stops back to the storage unit, but it works out well. Nothing sucks more than driving thru a neighborhood at 8:00 at night behind folks looking at Christmas lights.
    Also, due to the limited number of package cars we have on hand, UPS rents from Penske/Uhaul/Budget and we deliver out of those, mainly based on the package volume for routes. Nothing sucks more than delivering out of a rental, due to lack of shelving and limited access to the rear. Also, get some strange looks when you pull up to houses driving a budget....

DR132 likes this.
  12. Jun 3, 2021 at 12:19 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    FedEx dropped off my new office chair today...

PXL_20210603_191505172.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top