1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sequoia mods opinion

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by Gorbo13, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Jul 31, 2020 at 8:43 PM
    Gorbo13

Gorbo13 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sequoia SR5
    Trd wheels Trd cold air intake
    I was hoping to get some of you opinions. I bought a 2014 SR5 Sequoia a few years back and promised myself as things go bad I would upgrade and make it more off Roady. Now Toyota is telling me my rear control arm I seized. If someone is going to cut control arms I was thinking I might as well replace a control arms that will allow me to lift the truck. I also tow a 32 ft trailer. What would you suggest to allow me to do some off road but still not lose towing capabilities? Not sure if a sway bar will help either since I have suspension helpers? What would you do? Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. Jul 31, 2020 at 8:45 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Welcome from NY.
    One of the suspension pros will hopefully chime in.

3. Aug 1, 2020 at 8:53 AM
    SC_TRD

SC_TRD Big BASTRD 4x4 Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Round Rock, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2012 CrewMax & 2008 Sequoia
    Depends on how big you are trying to go. I did a lot of research when trying to lift my sequoia and it didn’t turn out the way I wanted =\... pretty sure the Toytec kit uses shocks that just aren’t valved for the heavy sequoia. If I did it again, I would just buy the Dobinson kit for the rear.. if you have some money to spend get the longer Dobinson lift coils from 1stgenoffroad and get some custom shocks for the rear.

As for the front end, any Coilover lift kit for 07+ Tundra will work, so many options there just depends how much you want to spend.

What’s your price point and how much off-roading did you plan to do?

831Tun likes this.
  4. Aug 1, 2020 at 11:16 AM
    Gorbo13

Gorbo13 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sequoia SR5
    Trd wheels Trd cold air intake
    Thank you. I will look in to that. What is your opinion about Bilstein 5100 adjustable?

5. Aug 1, 2020 at 11:28 AM
    SC_TRD

SC_TRD Big BASTRD 4x4 Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Round Rock, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2012 CrewMax & 2008 Sequoia
    I tried the Bilstein 5100s first and it wasn’t enough lift for me. I put on the ToyTec Eibach adjustable coilovers and have been very satisfied with those for the sequoia’s purpose. It’s the wife’s kid hauler and just needs to be able to do dirt roads and such when we go on vacation into the sierras or whichever.

For the rear I am running the Bilstein 5125s, that came in the ToyTec kit, but the rear end bounces around a lot. Purchased some 5100s to install in the rear and just need to get around to it. Fingers crossed that fixes the problem

edit, my sequoia thread:
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/‘08-sequoia-build-with-ome-rear-coils.48094/page-2

6. Aug 1, 2020 at 12:39 PM
    jalam321

jalam321 New Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tundra CM Platinum 4x4 and Sequoia Platinum 4x4
    Like the other post said...it depends how much lift are you looking for. I researched also and there is not much available lift options for the rear of Sequoia. We didn't want to lift too much so I put bilstein 5100 front and rear on my Sequoia. (max lift in front is around 2.25"). I also added a rear spring spacer in rear. I have been happy with this setup as it fits our needs and is definitely better ride than the stock suspension.

7. Dec 7, 2020 at 2:03 PM
    Canuck07

Canuck07 New Member

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2008 Sequoia Platinum
    Front 2" Leveling Kit Rear Dobinsons 1.75" lift springs Sitting on 275/65/20
    I have a Sequoia Platinum and my rear air suspension sensors were starting to act up. I swapped out the air suspension and converted to coil springs, this requires changing the rear LCA as they are different from Air to spring suspensions. I got the LCA off rock auto for $140 a side and Dobinson rear +1.75" springs. Dobinson rear lift springs are really heavy duty I think you'd be happy with them with your towing needs. I just used a cheap coil over spacer (2" leveling kit) in the front as I will eventually replace the stock struts with either Bilstein 5100's or the Dobinson's (heavily leaning to Dobinson). In hindsight I wish I went with the +2.5" springs in the rear as it sits really level now, sometimes it looks slightly low in the rear but when measured its about 1/4" higher. Depending on what you go with for lift, if you like a slight rake I'd suggest a spring insulator that adds an extra 1" or so. I just ordered one from protune along with the rear shock extenders and diff drop.

Platinum Tree likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top